advertisement

Naim service prices and repair cost

I brought a Naim XS CD player and an XS amp back from the middle east in the back of my trousers - one piece of equipment per buttock. I will let your imagination work out where I put the remote.

I had a NDS screen replaced by naim at the end of last year via HiFi Corner in Edinburgh . It "only" cost about £150 and was returned in 2 weeks . When I asked about routine service / recap I got the line that they used extended life caps in flagship products and it wasn't needed but they also encouraged me to keep using it without screen replacement if the screen was just about readable - it wasn't . I got the impression that naim were either running out of replacment screens or the service department was a bit overwhelmed with work .

I've carried bookshelf speakers in hand luggage (twice, obviously). They were CA Aero 2 speakers so a fair size.

I've also carried a PS5 and accessories, a pull along trolley full of records, a Technics 1210 platter (was swabbed for drugs), a Nait 5i and a CD player with me, flying Qatar-UK or UK-Qatar.

You may get a few funny looks but it's fine, although if you fly cheap-charlie airlines, they may get a bit picky with size/mass.

How times change: Naim used to be fabulously good value if you just stuck your kit in its box and sent it back to Salisbury yourself. Stellar aftercare for reasonable cost was a prime reason for my allegiance for decades.
Those days long gone it seems.
Ain't that the truth!

I have a Unitiqute which soon will need a new display screen.

We all know the issue with OLED screens, over time they will fade.
My UQ1 had a service in 2015 included replacement display and some other upgrades.
Now its difficult to read display again, even I have in on shortest turn off.

Obviously I want to hear others with same issue, what do they do ?

Changed my NDS screen myself with replacement bought from France on eBay (search replacement Naim screen). Not difficult and has worked perfectly since.

Changed my NDS screen myself with replacement bought from France on eBay (search replacement Naim screen). Not difficult and has worked perfectly since.

What was involved? Any soldering? I read somewhere that “special” software is needed as the screen is upside down, was this the case?

advertisement

Back