advertisement

Naim service prices and repair cost

PerF

Scandinavian Member
I have a Unitiqute which soon will need a new display screen.

We all know the issue with OLED screens, over time they will fade.
My UQ1 had a service in 2015 included replacement display and some other upgrades.
Now its difficult to read display again, even I have in on shortest turn off.

I have asked my local dealer for a quote.
As I am inside EU area, they now offer to replace the display screen locally - which is a big plus IMO.
They do say further recap/service of the item, need to go through Brexit to Salisbury for a complete overhaul.
Brexit cost for this around €350-400 on top of the service price.

Obviously I want to hear others with same issue, what do they do ?

Last edited:
I had terrible experience with naim service. I sent my CDS to Naim, both the CD player and the CDPS at the same time, the price was not cheap. The CD player started to develop intermittent failures on disk reading after it came back. And then it was lately found one of the capacitor was soldered reversed polarity. That was not the end of the story. A Nat01 was sent to Naim for repair and service in the same year, 2019, for its drifting when cold. The same issue come back again when I received the unit. And when I checked the NATPS, the reservoir capacitors we're not replaced with new ones. Remember they are capacitors from the 80s! OUCH!

Last edited:
I really don't understand why they persist with those green displays. They have been prone to fading for years, starting with nVi vintage boxes (you could also say NAT01 but different technology). They are clearly NFFP, and should have been replaced with an alternative technology on new boxes, and made available as a retrofit on old.

I had terrible experience with naim service. I sent my CDS to Naim, both the CD player and the CDPS at the same time, the price was not cheap. The CD player started to develop intermittent failures on disk reading after it came back. And then it was lately found one of the capacitor was soldered reversed polarity. That was not the end of the story. A Nat01 was sent to Naim for repair and service in the same year, 2009, for its drifting when cold. The same issue come back again when I received the unit. And when I checked the NATPS, the reservoir capacitors we're not replaced with new ones. Remember they are capacitors from the 80s! OUCH!
Blimey a complaint from 12 years ago!

Ours has the same issue. We use ours with Roon via an Aurallic aries mini into the front input (so the UQ is just working as an amp really). We use the rear input into the UQ for sound from our projector.

Set up this way, the only operations I need to do on the UQ are control volume (which I do via the remote handset) and switch between "front" and "analogue" (rear) inputs, which I do via the Naim app on a phone. Works ok, though I need to go and get the phone every time I want to switch inputs as I don't keep a phone with me around the house. So yeah...it's annoying but you can work around it using the phone app (not an excuse for Naim not sorting this out!)

I have asked my local dealer for a quote.
As I am inside EU area, they now offer to replace the display screen locally - which is a big plus IMO, however no estimate price possible beforehand.
They do say further recap/service of the item, need to go through Brexit to Salisbury for a complete overhaul.
Brexit cost for this around €350-400 on top of the service price.

Obviously I want to hear others with same issue, what do they do ?

Apologies on behalf of my country :-(

I am not sure what you do other than:

- find a competent local electronics engineer who will replace the caps?
- spend a week in the UK, bring it with you and wait while it is fixed?

Tim

If a UQ1 needs the display replacing every 6 years then it is a rubbish product

Apart from a rubbish screen, increased service prices and Brexit complications, I think its a nice little All-in-One box.

Check eBay, some nice units there, might be worth selling yours and buying a decent second hand one.

Naim are silly with their service costs.

I have tried my own Danish dealer and distributor.
I'd expect any Naim EU service center would charge similar price level.

No, it’s different. I got a quote pre Brexit to have my Nait 5 serviced via the Dutch importer, this was 440 euros. It was more than I payed for my Nait so I didn’t do it. Post Brexit I got it done at LASA for under 300 including all fees transport etc. I also verified with Naim that they are an authorized service center.

I really don't understand why they persist with those green displays. They have been prone to fading for years, starting with nVi vintage boxes (you could also say NAT01 but different technology). They are clearly NFFP, and should have been replaced with an alternative technology on new boxes, and made available as a retrofit on old.

I saw some factory serviced Nat01 CB use the display from olive. But not for all, maybe extra charge on this?

Apologies on behalf of my country :-(

I am not sure what you do other than:

- find a competent local electronics engineer who will replace the caps?
- spend a week in the UK, bring it with you and wait while it is fixed?

Tim

That would certainly be an option, - tourist arrangement after the pandemic is over.
Is it legal to bring in as handbag.?

That would certainly be an option, - tourist arrangement after the pandemic is over.
Is it legal to bring in as handbag.?

I did it once, put 2 Klimax cross overs in a 21 inch hand luggage and brought them to China.

advertisement

Back