advertisement

Naim Power Switch

The switches arrived today. Won't have a chance to do anything with them until next week, but they certainly look good.

I got ready to change these switches on the two amps that were playing up, but on taking the sleeve off, I spotted the problem - the bracket that's part of the switch is warped in some way, so the plunger sits cock-eyed against the exterior push button (it's on the ha, as they say in Suffolk) :-

CJMsx7v.jpg

RAlq4ls.jpg

A bit of fiddling sorted it, and both switches now work fine- I'll leave the other one, they're a bit of a pain to get out of the Fraim rack & weigh a ton. Thanks for the help guys; anyone need some power switches?

Last edited:
My power switch seems fine, thanks.
As an aside, is there a potential issue with the contacts burning yet remaining functional on these switches, leading to a higher than desirable resistance,or would this result in a complete burnout?

Looks like to much throw on the button causing the switch to bottom out and bending the mounting bracket.
Longer screws and a couple of washers should sort it, or cut a bit off the plastic switch shaft (non reversible!)

Pete

I got ready to change these switches on the two amps that were playing up, but on taking the sleeve off, I spotted the problem - the bracket that's part of the switch is warped in some way, so the plunger sits cock-eyed against the exterior push button (it's on the ha, as they say in Suffolk) :-

A bit of fiddling sorted it, and both switches now work fine- I'll leave the other one, they're a bit of a pain to get out of the Fraim rack & weigh a ton. Thanks for the help guys; anyone need some power switches?

Thats a good result for you, squeeze the bracket on the switch and done. Better than having to replace the switches :). But that does make me wonder - how many of these do you have????? Looks like you have 3 of them - I wish I could afford one, any chance I could borrow one of yours for a few years? ;)

Lovely made case and basically Ford Model "T" internals. ... Who would have thought that?

Old school Volvo, it is not.

ATB from George

Lovely made case and basically Ford Model "T" internals. ... Who would have thought that?

Old school Volvo, it is not.

ATB from George
Old school Volvos were horrid old things George. The Naim amp, compared with the internals of other stuff, is actually pretty fine - one skewed switch does not a Model “T” make. Sounds superb too.

Dear Tony,

I used to have some Naim. I would not have bought it if it did not sound fine to me, but I never realised that the quality of the outside finish was not carried on inside.

I also had two Volvo 240s in a row! Absolutely not a horrible car, being well made where you could see it and where you could not. I enjoyed the old style drive, and feeling of solidity. I would never want a high performance car. I have a non-turbo Skoda Fabia diesel now. 0 - 60 in 18 seconds. Blooming marvellous!

Best wishes from George

Dear Tony,

I used to have some Naim. I would not have bought it if it did not sound fine to me, but I never realised that the quality of the outside finish was not carried on inside.

I also had two Volvo 240s in a row! Absolutely not a horrible car, being well made where you could see it and where you could not. I enjoyed the old style drive, and feeling of solidity. I would never want a high performance car. I have a non-turbo Skoda Fabia diesel now. 0 - 60 in 18 seconds. Blooming marvellous!

Best wishes from George
Having delved under the bonnet of a couple of Volvo 140s, and bought a couple of 240 estates for staff that needed the space, I know the brand well. Each to their own, but to me they're horrid old relics that don't deserve their reputation. I'd be grateful if you could point out in what way the Naim internals lack quality, bearing in mind the problem I experienced relates to the ALPS power switch, albeit fitted by Naim. On the contrary, the construction of Naim equipment, both inside and out, is of the highest quality.

CJMsx7v.jpg

Please forgive my fathomless ignorance of all matters Naim-ish.

I can see some extensive PSU components (massive multitap transformer, rack of full-wave bridge rects, army of smoothing caps).

Where's the amplifier? :(

BugBear

Please forgive my fathomless ignorance of all matters Naim-ish.

I can see some extensive PSU components (massive multitap transformer, rack of full-wave bridge rects, army of smoothing caps).

Where's the amplifier? :(

BugBear

In the other box.

;):)

Pete

Having delved under the bonnet of a couple of Volvo 140s, and bought a couple of 240 estates for staff that needed the space, I know the brand well. Each to their own, but to me they're horrid old relics that don't deserve their reputation. I'd be grateful if you could point out in what way the Naim internals lack quality, bearing in mind the problem I experienced relates to the ALPS power switch, albeit fitted by Naim. On the contrary, the construction of Naim equipment, both inside and out, is of the highest quality.

Dear Tony,

I was simply noting that not everything Naim chooses to fit is either well fitted in the application or high quality/robust/durable.

I think the standard and application of that ALPs switch looks far short of what you might expect in a premium priced amplifier. Naim make good replay equipment, but in this instance I would say that the company fitted better mains switches on their most basic models, which is a bit odd really.

Best wishes from George

Oops forgot they where stereo.

Did you check the throw if the button? It could be the cause of the problems.

Pete

They're working perfectly now Pete. There's nothing to stop the button going right in, other than the throw of the switch. Fingers crossed, that'll be the end of the problem.

advertisement

Back