advertisement

Naim phono Boards

I've got a 72 and i'm 99% sure that I saw two blue caps on the mother board. Mind you, I also think that I can hear the differenece in cable directions.... must keep taking the tablets...;)

I think that I have seen two of those on the 72 motherboard also if I refresh my memory. Must go and buy those tablets. ;)

I have not tried the S boards. I do have the NJ boards in my 32.5 and they sound wonderful. I am completely happy with the sound of my set up at this point.

Class A's published price for a 72 service is 99 - 139 quid...I'd expect Salisbury to be at least 30% higher. Although I hear that over here in the US, Naim USA have significantly dropped their service costs.

Neil,

I think I paid around $700 for a 52 service + Pots update for my elderly 52 around 6 months ago, so prices seem similar to the UK. Though if I had my choice I would have sent my amp to Salisbury or Darran.

Regards

Still after a set of 322/2 boards to complete the set so I can start listening to them all.

I will post a new WTB in the classifieds.

I've owned at least four pairs of NA322 boards - however all issue 4. Of these two came with the older type Roederstein ROE larger purple cylindrical caps, and two with more modern blue caps. The latter sound more detailed, though the older type have more punch though not necessarily more dynamic. The ROEs are found in Naim gain boards and though you could say they have more punch, but they also make voices shout in speach, so sound more tense and tiring on the ears. I did think of recapping one of my sets of older boards, but didn't do so. If I had I would changed the two centre FB caps for Elna Silmic 1s and the corner decoupling cap for a genuine Nichicon KZ - having done a lot of listening tests on gain boards.

Interestingly, I now have a S/H stageline which has a single DIN socket, and it uses the small dark blue caps and infact is identical to my 322 phono boards except that the circuits are all on one board and so share the same star earthing. The main difference the stageline makes is cleaning up the line inputs - otherwise the two sound quite similar fed with a TeddyReg based power supply.

One other tweak that I've have just tried is changing the 62K resistor across the input with a 56K one which should give an actual impedance of nearer 47K. The board did sound louder which I think is a good sign that they impedances are better matched, but the resistor I used was poorer carrying signal than the Naim one, so I will get some other resistors.

You will probably find greater variation due to the condition of the 3 electrolytic caps.

advertisement

Back