advertisement

Naim phono Boards

A Stagline is basically just an external box with a pair of 323 boards inside.
A Dorian requires a 100ohm loading, S boards are 470ohm and K boards 560ohm.

If you replace the internal 323 and 729 boards with the ones NJ produces (assuming he still does produce them) you end up with pretty much every component being replaced anyway.

There is no technical risk - nothing will get damaged.

I have those NJ 321 and 729 boards home with me but Nac 72 is still on its way. What components there are which should be replaced on the motherboard?

I have those NJ 321 and 729 boards home with me but Nac 72 is still on its way. What components there are which should be replaced on the motherboard?

None.

They are a direct drop in replacement.

You can internally regulate a 72 and so some other stuff but it makes the 72 hardre to return to stock if required.

Andrew

None.

They are a direct drop in replacement.

You can internally regulate a 72 and so some other stuff but it makes the 72 hardre to return to stock if required.

Andrew

None? So is there anything that Naim would do for the motherboard in service? They only service those plug in cards? Sorry I don't know if there is any components on motherboard which are replaced in Naim service.

Hi guys,
What is the best way to connect Linn Axis (micro-DIN? - Rca cable) to BNC inputs of NA522/4 boards?

I'm using RCA-to-BNC convertors on Naim card but I would like to upgrade Axis cable to good micro-DIN - BNC cable. Is there any?

Thanks

None? So is there anything that Naim would do for the motherboard in service? They only service those plug in cards? Sorry I don't know if there is any components on motherboard which are replaced in Naim service.

There are at least two caps on the motherboard, so I guess they might change those?

Not usually -unless one of the few resisitors are shot that is, as that's about all the components on the 32.5 m'board- bar the obvious pots/balance/switch, its basically just all the tracks. The individual circuits are in pairs of boards.. an excellent design facillitating both servicing for them, swapping about for the dealers such as 323's for 322's, and indeed tinkering about for us tinkerers here in diy land.

There are at least two caps on the motherboard, so I guess they might change those?

Just wondering if the whole "service" could be done so that I put NJ321 and NJ 729 boards in and get those two caps changed on the motherboard. Is there anything else to do then than the 324 boards (and phonoboards)? Then it would be completely serviced or do I understand right? Those two caps for the motherboards shouldn't be so hard to find.

Not usually -unless one of the few resisitors are shot that is, as that's about all the components on the 32.5 m'board- bar the obvious pots/balance/switch, its basically just all the tracks. The individual circuits are in pairs of boards.. an excellent design facillitating both servicing for them, swapping about for the dealers such as 323's for 322's, and indeed tinkering about for us tinkerers here in diy land.

And if pots/balance/switch is working there is nothing that have to be done with them i suppose. So if the motherboard is working Naim won't touch it in service if I understand right. Maybe I just get 324 boards serviced then....if that is necessary for the sound quality? Is it the same with Nac 72 motherboard as 32.5?

but what's the point in buying nj boards and then doing a service? i dont get it, to me that wasting an awful lt of money. forgetting the two caps on m'board if there are any (they will not affect the sound imo, fine left as is), and the single relay board would be fine left too/ wont affect the sound either (mines 1983/ never needed a look at as it works fine).. so just for the two remining phono boards??

but what's the point in buying nj boards and then doing a service? i dont get it, to me that wasting an awful lt of money. forgetting the two caps on m'board if there are any (they will not affect the sound imo, fine left as is), and the single relay board would be fine left too/ wont affect the sound either (mines 1983/ never needed a look at as it works fine).. so just for the two remining phono boards??

When I put NJ729 and NJ 321 boards in there is nothing that has to be done for those boards but I am just asking is there anything else that should be serviced in the amp as I just replace those stock 321 and 729 boards with Neals boards. That is what I mean.

And if pots/balance/switch is working there is nothing that have to be done with them i suppose. So if the motherboard is working Naim won't touch it in service if I understand right. Maybe I just get 324 boards serviced then....if that is necessary for the sound quality? Is it the same with Nac 72 motherboard as 32.5?

Effectively if all is working on m'board.. and as its quite time-consuming taking the whole thing out, Id bet they'd leave it be, they'd give switches & pots a squirt of servisol for good measure most prob/ general check most defo, but anyone can do that with common sense, and with m'board left in too.

As to 324 boards.. most here would say remove them for a better sound anyway (I find they add a bit of solidity/ Im one of few who leaves in) but a recapped pair of these I bet you'd be hard pressed to hear from an unserviced pair, so little they affect the sound in general.

Basically its the 321 gain boards set the sound/ far the most important overall. Then the 729's, phono boards. Lastly the 324's.

When I put NJ729 and NJ 321 boards in there is nothing that has to be done for those boards but I am just asking is there anything else that should be serviced in the amp as I just replace those stock 321 and 729 boards with Neals boards. That is what I mean.

Imo none at all. Just pop them in & you have effectively a ~recapped 72 (bar the 324's, and maybe the odd cap/ but as I said I wouldn't be spending on these/ save your £s).

Imo none at all. Just pop them in & you have effectively a ~recapped 72 (bar the 324's, and maybe the odd cap/ but as I said I wouldn't be spending on these/ save your £s).

Nice and easy recapping then. :) Let's see how the phonoboards perform. I had Linn Linto before I bought Stageline (didn't test it at home, just bought it) and it was very good with my Lyra cartridge. Sold it and thought that I have a whole Naim system anyway and that was a mistake. Maybe I have to buy a Superline some day but it is a little out of budget now. Maybe there is some bettered modified phonoboards out there?

I've got a 72 and i'm 99% sure that I saw two blue caps on the mother board. Mind you, I also think that I can hear the differenece in cable directions.... must keep taking the tablets...;)

advertisement

Back