advertisement

Naim Nait 50

The world of hi-fi is ver simple : if you want something 10% better, it will be twice the price and if you want something 20% better, it will be 4 times the price.

Percentages are sometimes difficult to perceive (what is 10% after all when it comes to sq). For me a clear next step usually comes with 3x price tag.

Naim 50 is of course overpriced.
I did ab test it at home with an elex mk4, an xs3 and later a 5si (and also a brio and io from memory ).

the elex was really better than the Naim 50 and it was not hard to hear it.

I also found the xs3 and 5si way better.

Even at 1000€ I would not buy the Naim 50.

As a matter of fact, here in Germany we can find plenty of Naim 50 around 2000€ because it’s just not selling at 3000€.

Now on to rega:
It’s part of their philosophy to have an exceptional quality/price ratio.
I agree with Mr pig on that one.

You must be joking, there’s a huge gap between junior 5i and Nait 50. People easily prefer it to SN3 if speaker load is moderate.
sn3 I did not test.

But I have to say xs3 I did test it and I didn’t like it, I preferred the elex mk4 and the 5si.

Again, just my opinion, and maybe in another situation it will be great.

But I stand by the fact that it’s way overpriced.

(Speaker were focal aria 906 so not a hard load )

Ok, junior Focals and Naim are a total mismatch, that’s not surprising at all
Aria 906 are actually quite good for the money but ok if you say so.

It doesn’t remove the fact that Naim (and especially the 50) is completely overpriced at the moment.

But it’s just my opinion and on that I’m gonna respectfully gonna go out of this conversation ;)

Exactly. It's a marketing and economic decision. I can't respect companies who gouge what they think they can get away with out of their customers rather than apply a reasonable profit margin and give better value. I'm not going to support that.

My take also. Have a nice Sunday all :)

So what, thread may continue and we can further explore the facts about amps with one of the worst speaker-amp combos that you could imagine :)
I don't think the amp, speaker combo is as relevant as you think it is. What you can't argue with is that, despite it being a limited edition at a reasonably affordable price from a highly regarded brand, they're struggling to sell them. Rip roaring success, it's not. That can't all be down to poor amp, speaker pairings surely?

I don't think the amp, speaker combo is as relevant as you think it is. What you can't argue with is that, despite it being a limited edition at a reasonably affordable price from a highly regarded brand, they're struggling to sell them. Rip roaring success, it's not. That can't all be down to poor amp, speaker pairings surely?

It’s a very niche product by design, but I look at it from a bit different angle - some really knowledgeable people like parttimeaudiophile for example grabbed it immediately because can spot the sonic value there (some guys with 500-series stuff on native forum also)

It's a relatively expensive niche product within a niche hobby. Not really that surprising there not flying off the shelves. Just taken a look, dealers don't appear to be discounting them which suggests to me they are selling just fine.

TS

It’s a very niche product by design, but I look at it from a bit different angle - some really knowledgeable people like parttimeaudiophile for example grabbed it immediately because can spot the sonic value there (some guys with 500-series stuff on native forum also)
So you're saying that the 500-series is a total rip-off?

advertisement

Back