advertisement

Naim Nait 50

I bought an ex-dem unit on a 30-day returns basis. Great deal and a beautiful thing, with an impressive sound. But, I found it just too short on power and scale, so it went back.
Is it acceptable for an amplifier at tat price to be short on anything? The shortcomings of the original Nait could be forgiven because it was a budget amp. Not so easy if you ask big money.

I bought an ex-dem unit on a 30-day returns basis. Great deal and a beautiful thing, with an impressive sound. But, I found it just too short on power and scale, so it went back.
So true to the spirit of the original then? Sounds great on about 20% of your record collection and like an angry bluebottle on the rest.

Mine sounds lovely with all the music I've thrown at it.

Probably not the right amp to buy if you have a large room to fill but in my small one bed flat feeding my LS3/5A clones it's perfect, 25 wpc is more than enough for my circumstances.

Mine replaced a much loved Rega IO which is in itself a fabulous little shoebox amp for the money, the Nait is much better, as you would hope.

Should add that the headphone output is superb, the only thing that was a bit of a let down for me with the IO.

Are they worth £2699? I couldn't have afforded it at that price & I'm not sure I would have bought one for that amount if I could have. Bought mine 2ndhand & so far it's been one of the best hifi buying decisions I've made.

TS

naim lover will love it!
I should also point out I'm no Naim fanboi. The only other Naim product I've ever owned is a Nait 5Si which was a great amp but bettered by an Elex-R I owned a while later.

In fact I probably identify more as a Rega fanboi given how many of there products I've owned (& still own).

No excuse for a transformer that hums like an angry hornet on an amp that retails for £1500 new either. Fortunately the Nait 50 is dead silent in that regard.

TS

I speak from experience, tooling is very, very costly. And that has to funded by the final cost of the product.
...?? - what tooling is there? It's mostly just off-the-shelf items and a hand-made wiring loom. I doubt if the volume knob is a casting - with such a low production run it's just as well to machine from it from solid. Naim is very expensive these days and that's a real change from the past. When the original Naim Nait came of it was roughly double the cost of a NAD 3020. In other words really good value.

...?? - what tooling is there? It's mostly just off-the-shelf items and a hand-made wiring loom. I doubt if the volume knob is a casting - with such a low production run it's just as well to machine from it from solid. Naim is very expensive these days and that's a real change from the past. When the original Naim Nait came of it was roughly double the cost of a NAD 3020. In other words really good value.

Couldn't agree more.
If you look at say the casework on the Rega Aethos it's up a level a curved top plate and the heat sinks below.
And you get a 140 watt per channel amp for £500 more than a Nait 50.
I think it's so refreshing that Roy Gandy has said that he prefers the Aethos over the Osaris recently.
I know all hifi companies have to make a profit but Naim have always priced their products with what they can get away with .
Not bashing Naim for doing that but compared to Rega ...if Rega can do it why can't Naim offer VFM. ?
I have had a Nait back in 1985 and didn't think it was anything special...quite underpowered...I liked its size and simplicity.
I also have a Rega IO in a 2nd system and it's an absolute peach and with remote all for £375
Never heard a Nait 50 so can't comment

I know all hifi companies have to make a profit but Naim have always priced their products with what they can get away with .
Not bashing Naim for doing that but compared to Rega ...if Rega can do it why can't Naim offer VFM. ?
Exactly. It's a marketing and economic decision. I can't respect companies who gouge what they think they can get away with out of their customers rather than apply a reasonable profit margin and give better value. I'm not going to support that. Even of I could afford to, I would not buy new Linn or Naim gear. I dislike people insulting my intelligence and assuming I'm a fool driven by egotism.

Last edited:
I’m really enjoying the Nait 50.

I won’t be changing my simple/minimalist setup anytime soon.

IMG-7004.jpg

Wow, it’s amazing that naim give access to boardroom decisions on pricing;)

Please stop presenting opinion as fact.

How do you know that Rega behave any differently? Their margins may be just as ‘high’.

I doubt I’d buy anything from naim in the future but I do think the Nait 50 looks really cool. Way better than anything Rega make aesthetically.

Given what people are paying for fuses it looks great value;)

advertisement

Back