advertisement

Naim Nait 50

Yeah great video enjoyed watching it as always with Mike Evans and Dave Price great enthusiastic banter and educational with the history of the product. It sounds like Naim have made a very impressive amp in the Nait 50 maybe let down with lack of inputs but at the end of the day if you want one it's your money and choice
So exciting times at Naim with the 333 series about to launch they are certainly moving forward as a company after years of the same products ...decades really .

As usually Naim amps looks great solid build inside.
My OCD was on, as the guy seem to scratch cabinet on that iron table, why not put a blanket below.

'There's a chap over on the white place which preferred this amp, and were thinking of selling his 282/HC/250DR :eek:
Now I need to hear it.

Looks like that unit has odd speaker connections, the outlet for the cable should be at the bottom when the curved sides are inserted correctly.

Why though?
This amp doesn't seem very useful with non naim kit, I can't think of any reason for DIN connectors for the inputs.

Din plugs sound better .
My Naim 282 pre-amp has two phono RCA inputs which the owner can nominate from the remote in preference to Dins . Only one pin is used for earth which is part of Naims star earthing architecture . RCA to Din cables are available and from my own experience always sound better than the RCA to RCA equivalents

Wobbly sockets are a decoupling measure to improve isolation from micro vibration .

Wobbly sockets are a decoupling measure to improve isolation from micro vibration .

That's hilarious but okay - I guess only kettle lead connections suffer from microphonics and not the rest of the completely solid ones right.

And what's wrong with XLR?

The Naim dual banana plug thing is a terrible design at the amp end. I don’t even need an ‘IMHO’ here, it just is. Forcing a stiff cable like A5 out a that angle from the back of an amp that is almost inevitably sitting on a larger table puts a lot of stress on the cable joint, sockets, and in the case of the Nait 1 and 2, the PCB. I bought and sold a lot of Nait 1s and 2s at the time the price was starting to increase just over 20 years ago, at least ten of them, maybe more. I had to pop the mainboard out and resolder at least one socket in every one. The larger Naim amps didn’t have PCB mounted speaker sockets so were less easily damaged, but the early Naits really suffered. At the speaker end the dual plugs make a lot of sense as they enable parking a Kan, SBL or whatever nice and close to the wall. It’s just the amp end that is bad design.

The Naim dual banana plug thing is a terrible design at the amp end. I don’t even need an ‘IMHO’ here, it just is. Forcing a stiff cable like A5 out a that angle from the back of an amp that is almost inevitably sitting on a larger table puts a lot of stress on the cable joint, sockets, and in the case of the Nait 1 and 2, the PCB. I bought and sold a lot of Nait 1s and 2s at the time the price was starting to increase just over 20 years ago, at least ten of them, maybe more. I had to pop the mainboard out and resolder at least one socket in every one. The larger Naim amps didn’t have PCB mounted speaker sockets so were less easily damaged, but the early Naits really suffered. At the speaker end the dual plugs make a lot of sense as they enable parking a Kan, SBL or whatever nice and close to the wall. It’s just the amp end that is bad design.
Good job I don’t use A5 with it then

advertisement

Back