advertisement

Naim NAIT 5 vs. NAIT 5i-2

Nait 5i and 5i has one nice alps potentiometer instead of some kind of electronic volume regulation in the original Nait 5 and IMHO it is one of the reasons, why 5i and 5 sounds better then 5.

If you want to buy one new 5i, than maybe it is more wise to pay nearly the same amount for one sh Nait XS which is close to 202/200 performance...

Just get a s/h Nait 5i-2 and call it a day.

Any naim that CAN take a powersupply will NEED that powersupply soon.

A lot of folks on the Naim forums prefer the 5i-2 over any other Naim amp even ones costing 10 times as much.

Any active hifi-forum-posting equipment owner that can USE an UPGRADE will NEED that UPGRADE soon.

In contrast, the majority of hifi owners stay away from hifi forums and have normal needs and urges which do not include upgrading hifi equipment every 5,734.7 hours.

Edited for accuracy.

As usual listen to both with your choice of amps an speakers,do however give others a whirl,the Rega Brio R is a great foil for the Nait and many,myself included think it betters the nait,i thought it good enough to purchase one and don't regret it!!!!!

the Rega Brio R is a great foil for the Nait and many,myself included think it betters the nait,i thought it good enough to purchase one and don't regret it!
Same here! :)

I've owned the 5, the 5i and the XS. I preferred the 5i over the 5 for its extra oomph and the more flexible socketry. The XS is on a whole other level though, which is to be expected I suppose given the price difference.

Not here either.

It might sound different in some ways, as well as rounder - warmer.

But to my ears after listening to one that a neighbor of mine purchased upon my recommendation two months ago, and comparing them in my system - with my music, it's not even close. YMMV?, but I know what I'm hearing.

Regards,
o_O scar

Not here either.

It might sound different in some ways, as well as rounder - warmer.

But to my ears after listening to one that a neighbor of mine purchased upon my recommendation two months ago, and comparing them in my system - with my music, it's not even close. YMMV?, but I know what I'm hearing.

Regards,
o_O scar

the nait is streets ahead

I know at least two dealers that disagree with you both.

Oscar, I know you have a lot of experience listening to different pieces and so do I. One of the dealers I mentioned loves Naim (uses Naim at home)...just not the Nait 5, 5i or 5i-2. Different strokes.

I also love Naim, and every Nait that ever came out. (ok, except the Nait 5 I guess) I think it all comes down to personal taste and/combined with synergy.

In another system than my current own, I might prefer the Nait 5i(-2) over the Brio-R again, so...

I recently heard a Nait XS sounding stunning with my humble Squeezebox Touch and Diapason speakers, while to my surprise that same amp sounded quite dreadfull with one of the best small speakers I've ever heard, the Penaudio Charisma.

That same Penaudio Charisma sounds superb at the end of a Sonneteer Alabaster, where as the same Sonneteer Alabaster sounded dreadfull with my Diapason's.

So,..in the end, I think it mainly comes down to system matching and taste.

I also love Naim, and every Nait that ever came out. (ok, except the Nait 5 I guess) I think it all comes down to personal taste and/combined with synergy.

In another system than my current own, I might prefer the Nait 5i(-2) over the Brio-R again, so...

I recently heard a Nait XS sounding stunning with my humble Squeezebox Touch and Diapason speaker, while to my surprise that same amp sounded quite dreadfull with one of the best small speakers I've ever heard, the Penaudio Charisma.

That same Penaudio Charisma sounds superb at the end of a Sonneteer Alabaster, where as the same Sonneteer Alabaster sounded dreadfull with my Diapason's.

So,..in the end, I think it mainly comes down to system matching and taste.

Indeed. I too love the Naim sound and if I were to win the lotto tomorrow I would own an all Naim setup.

I know at least two dealers that disagree with you both.

Oscar, I know you have a lot of experience listening to different pieces and so do I. One of the dealers I mentioned loves Naim (uses Naim at home)...just not the Nait 5, 5i or 5i-2. Different strokes.

Hi Art,

As I've heard the newer Nait's, since the release of the Nait 5 back in 2000, as well as the later versions - I'm speaking solely as a Nait 2 owner, as I still think it's one of the most musical versions that I've heard to date-short of the XS that is.

And, since I've got you here - here's wishing you and your loved ones a safe and joyous Holiday, and an even better New Year, and know not matter what?, you get no arguemeng from me, I'd one of the first to admit that we all hear differently.

But as Alco, has pointed out - it's all about synergy. And there appears to be a lot of dealer in the Midwest and East Coast that are fond of Naim Integrateds with both Harbet's and DeVore's. I'm merely basing my logic on said matters, as well as the fact that I'm on my third Nait ( one original and two different vintages of the 2 ) and keep returning to them for some reason?.

Oh, I got it..........., because they're musical.

Be well - Art.

Peace,
O

Hi Art,

As I've heard the newer Nait's, since the release of the Nait 5 back in 2000, as well as the later versions - I'm speaking solely as a Nait 2 owner, as I still think it's one of the most musical versions that I've heard to date-short of the XS that is.

And, since I've got you here - here's wishing you and your loved ones a safe and joyous Holiday, and an even better New Year, and know not matter what?, you get no arguemeng from me, I'd one of the first to admit that we all hear differently.

But as Alco, has pointed out - it's all about synergy. And there appears to be a lot of dealer in the Midwest and East Coast that are fond of Naim Integrateds with both Harbet's and DeVore's. I'm merely basing my logic on said matters, as well as the fact that I'm on my third Nait ( one original and two different vintages of the 2 ) and keep returning to them for some reason?.

Oh, I got it..........., because they're musical.

Be well - Art.

Peace,
O

Good Morning (on the west coast), Oscar.

Sherilyn and I wish you and your family a wonderful holiday as well. Been lovely so far for us.

The little Nait 2 is a magical little piece worth every bit of it's reputation. I think that one day the Brio-R will be considered a Rega classic.

My favorite Naim dealer uses Naim separates with Spendor speakers in her home. She has exquisite taste, and we certainly don't agree on everything in audio. She never ceases to amaze me with the depth and breadth of her knowledge on all things audio.

Take care, my friend.

Art

Good Morning (on the west coast), Oscar.

Sherilyn and I wish you and your family a wonderful holiday as well. Been lovely so far for us.

The little Nait 2 is a magical little piece worth every bit of it's reputation. I think that one day the Brio-R will be considered a Rega classic.

My favorite Naim dealer uses Naim separates with Spendor speakers in her home. She has exquisite taste, and we certainly don't agree on everything in audio. She never ceases to amaze me with the depth and breadth of her knowledge on all things audio.

Take care, my friend.

Art

Hi Art,

Thanks for the kind words as usual, it's nice to hear that you and Sherilyn are well, as I extend to you both many years of happiness as well as endurance.

Stereotypes - yes, I've been following her since the articles in the old Listener magazines ( Art Dudley ), and have known for a fact that besides Gene Rubin Audio or ProMusica, she has always been one of the best Naim dealers in our backyard, sort of speak.

Yet, as you know all to well?, we very seldom agree with many of our dealers findings from time to time - as some merely feel that one has to spend tens of thousands in order to be on the same level as them - yet I've always followed my own path, and beg to differ on some items, as well as their cost.

Am I cheap?, no............, but I believe in the laws of diminishing returns at any given price point - as well as logic.

Be certain, to save a slice of Sweet Potato Pie for me!. Or do you prefer the other one as my younger sibling does?, you know the ones - it was served during Thankgiving - while they were planning on taking their land.

Oops, my bad. I'm merely joking, if someone reads into this wrong?, as I'm not racist in so much as biased against ignorance.

Be well, my dear friend and Brother - In - Arms.
O

advertisement

Back