advertisement

Naim NAIT 5 vs. NAIT 5i-2

kaczmar2

Hey there,

New to the community and my first post.

I will shortly be purchasing my first Naim Audio rig. It will consist of a CD5i paired with a NAIT 5 or NAIT 5i (latest version.) Loudspeakers will be Epos M12.2. I've a couple of questions regarding the NAIT 5...

The person selling me the gear (someone who deals in Naim equipment) recommends the older NAIT 5 over the NAIT 5i due to the fact that the NAIT 5i is not expandable and uses a "passive preamplifier".(I'm not an expert in the power electronics behind stereo equipment.)

First question: Does that fact that the 5i have a passive preamp vs. the 5's active preamp make a difference in sound quality? If so, what are the pro's and cons? I guess what I am asking is: for those who are expert Naim listeners, whould you prefer the NAIT 5 over the NAIT 5i.

Second question: is the NAIT 5's expandability a valid concern? Would I significantly benefit from slowly upgrading the NAIT 5 with a power amp and power supply, or it is better and more cost-effective to chuck the 5i when the time comes to get separates? (I am also not an expert in Naim's recommended upgrades.)

Thanks for any input and clarity you can add.

What about listening to both and buying the one that sounds best? Expandability is not an item if you ask me. Hi-Caps and the like are a waste of space, expensive and power consuming. But I guess I'm in a minority here...

I had a Nait 5i with Epos 12.2s. I felt that the speakers required a bit of kick to get them going so I would say the 50w of the 5i would be the minimum and couldn't see the 30w of the 5 working well

The "5" needed a Flatcap (either styling version) to power the preamp section and take the harshness away (if you don't believe me, add one and hear the difference). if the 5i has a passive line stage (not a problem, as the power amp input impedance is fairly high due to its design-age) then one "problem" is cured at a stroke and Naim can make a few pennies more per unit too as the price is higher and less components are used.....;)

I will be auditioning both the 5 and 5i. I do wonder about the ability to upgrade with future power supplies, and if I'll regret not having that upgrade path in the future.

I could look into a NAIT XS, but that is a more significant upgrade. It would give the ability to add a phono stage without needing another power supply, however.

Do most Naim users choose to upgrade their systems with power supplies over time?

Functionnaly speaking, the Nait XS got a lot more in common to a Nait 5 than a Nait 5i.

Functions shared (Nait XS and Nait 5):

-Able to power up a Naim phono stage
-Got more inputs than the Nait 5i
-Could be used as a dedicated preamp or amp (with the help of an external power supply)

If the Nait 5i is an excellent little amp that's introducing the Naim sound at a price point never seen before, the Nait XS is filling brilliantly the gap left by the Nait 5 when it was taken out of the catalog a few years ago. And if you ask me, take the one you can really afford now, and think of upgrades later if you wish to.

Bye.

Are you planning to buy new or s/h? I listened to both the 5i and the xs and went with the xs (though now planning to sell it as part of upgraditus) but really like the xs. Adding a power supply gave it a really good lift. Are you set on a cd5i? Could you stretch to a cd5x even s/h? My approach is to get the best source poss and work back.

. . . and Naim can make a few pennies more per unit too as the price is higher and less components are used.....;)

Wee bit inaccurate DSR!. The Nait 5i was significantly cheaper than the outgoing 5. Much better too, we thought. So much so that it put the old 112/150 combo in the shade.

Agree that if you can run to Nait XS money it should be tried though.

Wee bit inaccurate DSR!. The Nait 5i was significantly cheaper than the outgoing 5. Much better too, we thought. So much so that it put the old 112/150 combo in the shade.

Agree that if you can run to Nait XS money it should be tried though.

If that's the case then i've just dropped a right b...ock, having just sold my nait 5i 2 and replaced it with the 112/150 combo, but my ears tell me a different story, so i'll have to dissagree with you there.

Hi upgrader!

I guess it's the old taste / combinations /context thing. For sure the 112/150 does some things better, such as working at low listing levels, but we had plenty of situations where the 5i was actually preferred. In fairness, the subsequent 122x sorted things. It's exactly why people should listen for themselves anyway.

Alastair

If that's the case then i've just dropped a right b...ock, having just sold my nait 5i 2 and replaced it with the 112/150 combo, but my ears tell me a different story, so i'll have to dissagree with you there.

That's the original 112/150? ie. not 112x or 122x?

Hi jay and Alistair,

It is the original 112/150 combo i have, i was using the nait 5i 2 when i bought the combo and immediatly noticed the more open sound of the pre/power, agreed Alistair i do mainly listen at low levels, but even when cranked up the sound was better to my ears, hence the sale of the nait, maybe the combo has a better synergy with my speakers, who knows? at least i can now add a power supply, and sorry Klyde they do make a huge difference imho

From my experience the original Nait 5 had an uncharacteristically (for Naim) warm sound compared to the later 5i's. Which you prefer will depend as much on your tastes and system matching.
I used a Nait 5 with Epos M22's (floorstanding version on M12) for a while and from my experience I'd guess you'd benefit from the extra power and punch of the 5i.

Welcome to the forum, Kaczmar2,

Personally I'd go for the Nait-5i. (I have one myself)
I've heard/seen the Nait-5i often being described as 'not a real Naim' (sonically speaking) or 'A Naim amp for people that don't really like Naim'. I must admit I've never heard the Nait-5, but it seems to be smoother/more polite, then most other Naim gear.

I heard this entry level Naim system recently at a dealer show, in a small listening room, consisting of:
Nait-5i, CD5i and Epos M5i speakers! Great system imho. :)
Hanze_hifi_naim+epos_set.JPG

Hiya Kaczmar2,

I bought a Nait 5 instead of the 5i specifically because I could upgrade it with a power supply and it is more flexible.

I can add a power-amp and the unit can be used in a Naim AV system.

Plus, I prefer the more mellow sound of the 5 to the 5i.

I use it in tandem with a Flatcap 2X, which also powers a CD5. The Flatcap 2X makes a big difference.

I was using the Nait 5 with a pair of Linn Keilidhs. The result was a bit too bass heavy.

I have now substituted a pair of Credo's and the bottom end is controlled and very coherent.

I might try out a pair of n-Sats though as I could do with a smaller pair of speakers.

Jack

Can you comment on the Epos vs n.Sats ? - I notice the M5 is away from wall, did they use Naim standard cables and no biwire

Hmm,...tuff one. I only briefly heard the Epos and only on classical orchestra music (not the kinda music I listen to at home)
Both speakers share a clear and detailed sound. The Epos might win a little in the bass department. The Epos are rear-ported, which is why they were placed away from the wall. This dealer didn't use Naim's Naca5 cable, but their own cable. (50% cheaper)

One thing I will have to add is a phono stage (to run my Musichall MMF 5.) Beyond that, I am unsure of upgrades - I could add a power supply to the NAIT 5, which already can power a phono stage, right?

Or I could simply move to seperates? I understand that is a bigger jump in cost all at once. Much to think about I guess...

But for right now I will do an A-B listening test to see which I prefer.

Hi Naim fans, would anyone know what is the difference between Naim Nait 5i (non italic or could be italic for that matter) and Naim Nait 5i mk I version? I had purchased Naim Nait 5i Mark I and I wander if this model is worse than simple 5i or 5i (italic)

Many thanks in advance.

There's two versions Nait 5i only, latest is Italic" i also called mk2, yours seem to be the original, a fine amplifier

no or little difference soundwise but latest has ipod connection on front

advertisement

Back