advertisement

Naim Nait 3 & Bose 301

Robert Nikolic

Hi guys, does anyone have connected Bose 301 speakers (preferably early models 1, 2 or 3) to a Naim Nait 3. If yes, what are the pleasures of listening. Many thanks, Robert, Greece

Thats an unusual combination but if you like the 301 ?, why not.

They are cheap, we had a pair in children's room years back.

The early 301's had 2 tweeters (one direct, one reflecting). The later and recent 301s have only one (angled).

I connected my Nait 1 to an old pair of these speakers many years ago and the sound was really great. Not super detailed and perfect tonality but very enjoyable to listen to. Very soft treble as I remember.
These were an old pair with two multidirectional tweeters, all with paper drivers.
We then switched back to MY speakers (Linn Kan mk 1) and violin and oboe came back to life as if they were in the room with us which we didn’t have at all with the Bose speakers ! Bass was gone though...........
For rock music, the Bose won hands down but for chamber music and cantata, the Kans were outstanding in comparison.
Source was Linn LP 12 with a Deca Gold cartridge.

I connected my Nait 1 to an old pair of these speakers many years ago and the sound was really great. Not super detailed and perfect tonality but very enjoyable to listen to. Very soft treble as I remember.
These were an old pair with two multidirectional tweeters, all with paper drivers.
We then switched back to MY speakers (Linn Kan mk 1) and violin and oboe came back to life as if they were in the room with us which we didn’t have at all with the Bose speakers ! Bass was gone though...........
For rock music, the Bose won hands down but for chamber music and cantata, the Kans were outstanding in comparison.
Source was Linn LP 12 with a Deca Gold cartridge.
Very helpful text, thanks GC!

So dear people, after summing up all your advises, reading some more stuff on the web, I ended up buying a fine pair of Royd Eden from a very kind seller in the UK. Thanks for your time and brainstorming :)
R

So dear people, after summing up all your advises, reading some more stuff on the web, I ended up buying a fine pair of Royd Eden from a very kind seller in the UK. Thanks for your time and brainstorming :)
R
s-l1600.jpg

They look fine.

The foam surrounds on the bass units perish and fall to bits. Those ones look perfect. Might just be good luck or they might have been replaced at some point. First warning sign is that they start getting a bit sticky to the touch but they can last for years beyond that point. If these ones are still good after all this time I think you'll be fine.

Royd speakers sound great and work well with Naim. Very musical and incisive. Think you'll like them.

Do you have stands?

They look fine.

The foam surrounds on the bass units perish and fall to bits. Those ones look perfect. Might just be good luck or they might have been replaced at some point. First warning sign is that they start getting a bit sticky to the touch but they can last for years beyond that point. If these ones are still good after all this time I think you'll be fine.

Royd speakers sound great and work well with Naim. Very musical and incisive. Think you'll like them.

Do you have stands?
Thanks for your view, I hope they shall come out fine, the guy appears to be a true lover of hifi and very correct.
Nope, no stand, I will make my own stands when I move into my new place.
Nor I have the Naim Nait 3 :)
But the dream is slowly coming true. It was the NN3 I was after in the first place.
Seeing to swap my Sansui QRX 7001 for a NN3. Under negotiation now ...

You can buy stands cheaply enough on ebay or Gumtree. A lot easier than making them and, unless you're a fabricator, probably tidier. Try to get steel, open frame ones. That's what they'll be designed for and will sound right with.

You can buy stands cheaply enough on ebay or Gumtree. A lot easier than making them and, unless you're a fabricator, probably tidier. Try to get steel, open frame ones. That's what they'll be designed for and will sound right with.
Thank for advice. In my former house I made fixed wall stands for Mission 760 out of massive MFD then had a granite slab cut to size and placed under each unit, units on spikes. When I have my new place I will think of possibilities.

advertisement

Back