advertisement

Naim Nait 3 & Bose 301

Bose 901's can rock! Not particularly accurate or transparent but if you want near live volume Led Zeppelin in your living room with bass you can feel the impact of then they have their place:) Loads of the pro 802 version PA speaker in use around the world....
1 Ohm bass drivers FWIW... connected in series/parallel of course to get IIRC 4 Ohm
Edit: Didn't seem right so I just googled and 802 (presume same for 901) are 8 Ohm so all in series.

Bose 901's can rock! Not particularly accurate or transparent but if you want near live volume Led Zeppelin in your living room with bass you can feel the impact of then they have their place:) Loads of the pro 802 version PA speaker in use around the world....
1 Ohm bass drivers FWIW... connected in series/parallel of course to get IIRC 4 Ohm
Edit: Didn't seem right so I just googled and 802 (presume same for 901) are 8 Ohm so all in series.

They need some heroic power to get there. The EQ eats up a lot of headroom. I don't remember how much boost there is at the frequency extremes, whether it's +9dB or +12...

They need some heroic power to get there. The EQ eats up a lot of headroom. I don't remember how much boost there is at the frequency extremes, whether it's +9dB or +12...

Oh yeah 250WPC kinda thing for, ahem.. best results, but they will take it. The real EQ is in the EQ box... or the "spatial control receiver"! Natural roll off of drivers (9 full range units per side) at top end and bass tuning of cabinets obvs playing their own part and compensated by the EQ box.
If your thing is to be pinned to the wall by a huge rock n roll wall of sound they take some beating though! Kind of a reasonably hi fi PA system in your living room.... kick drums you feel in the solar plexus etc but although the bass extension and power is very impressive for the size they don't go really low. Plenty low enough for anything a drum kit or bass guitar can do though. Trust me, with plenty of power, in a UK living room, they go up to 11....
Along with some of the less high end Bose speakers of the past (god knows how many hi fi brownie points I'm using up here!) they have an uncanny knack of making everything sound good... "Nice", "impressive", "MUSICAL" in a way your "hi fi reviewer spidy powers" just switch off cos you're listening to the music. I guess they take that Wharfedale Diamond thing of being obviously not "hi end" sounding, hence you stop thinking about "how hi fi is that?", whilst being hi fi enough so you enjoy the music, to it's natural conclusion.

Bose 901 had their charm
A friend had their monster amp back then, was it Bose 1800 or 1801 ?

Last edited:
In middle school we had Bose 802s behind the curtains in the auditorium/theater, and a friend and I wanted to try them out one afternoon. I had my Beastie Boys tape already cued to somewhere in the middle of 'Paul Revere', put it in the player, and thought I turned the volume down on the mixing desk before pressing play. The bass was heard around the school that day my friends. I had turned down the volume on a different source.

It wasn't until years later I learned the 802s had such small drivers! I've kind of wanted a pair ever since that experience.

In middle school we had Bose 802s behind the curtains in the auditorium/theater, and a friend and I wanted to try them out one afternoon. I had my Beastie Boys tape already cued to somewhere in the middle of 'Paul Revere', put it in the player, and thought I turned the volume down on the mixing desk before pressing play. The bass was heard around the school that day my friends. I had turned down the volume on a different source.

It wasn't until years later I learned the 802s had such small drivers! I've kind of wanted a pair ever since that experience.
We had those 802s in the night club I was DJ-ing as youngster. Later the owner bought a whole new Bose set, top of the range for the times of 1989 / 1990.

Pair of 901’s mk2’s sitting in the loft. Bought them new in 1975. I agree for full out fun they are a hoot. Must get them down when I have space.

advertisement

Back