advertisement

Naim Nait 2 vs

Did you ever use your nait 2 to drive the 4311/12s? I am considering this combination.
I did, but it was before I had the Nait 2 serviced. By the time I had the amp serviced, I had already moved up to the 4429s.

Having said that, the unserviced Nait 2 sounded pretty damn good into the 4311/12. The nice thing about these JBLs is that they are easy to drive, and they have L-pads so you can adjust the sound to match your equipment, room, and ears.

One thing to be aware of with the 4311 and earlier versions of the 4312, is that they are fairly long in the tooth, so they may benefit from new caps in the crossover, and a good cleaning of the L-pads.

Another thing to be aware of is that the speakers have probably been taken apart by previous owners. It’s quite common with these older JBLs. The thing that matters most, is to make sure that the drivers are connected with the correct polarity with regard to each other in each speaker. This information is available online, I believe from the Lansing Heritage site, and it’s obviously very important. Do a Google search.

I did, but it was before I had the Nait 2 serviced. By the time I had the amp serviced, I had already moved up to the 4429s.

Having said that, the unserviced Nait 2 sounded pretty damn good into the 4311/12. The nice thing about these JBLs is that they are easy to drive, and they have L-pads so you can adjust the sound to match your equipment, room, and ears.

One thing to be aware of with the 4311 and earlier versions of the 4312, is that they are fairly long in the tooth, so they may benefit from new caps in the crossover, and a good cleaning of the L-pads.

Another thing to be aware of is that the speakers have probably been taken apart by previous owners. It’s quite common with these older JBLs. The thing that matters most, is to make sure that the drivers are connected with the correct polarity with regard to each other in each speaker. This information is available online, I believe from the Lansing Heritage site, and it’s obviously very important. Do a Google search.
Thanks for the advice - stuff about the jbls that I previously had not realized.

Not sure if you saw my other thread on getting yamaha ns1000 for my nait2. The jbls are a serious alternative. Based on your and other people’s comments, the jbls would seem to be the better & safer option. My only concern is I would like to have them close to the back wall and the jbls being ‘control’ monitors will have a more pronounced bass than neutral.

From my limited experience with my son's JBLS I would say they need to be off the wall, but like all these things it can be room dependent.

I've had most flavours of Naits, but the CB Nait 2 is the only one I've pleaded to buy back from its buyer! I think the Linx Nebula is one of the few integrated amps that would probably see it off for all the Nait reasons, but obviously not as cute. I need to find my Nebula (in the garage somewhere) and get it serviced.

My CB Nait 2 (new to me but I’ve had plenty in the past - yes, you do regret moving them on) is away with Darran at Class A for its first ever service and I have a Naim UnitiQute in situ. I’ve owned them before (always thought of them as the digital Nait 2) and it is quite remarkable. I forgot how good this little box is! It could be all that you need. Yes, it has limitations (what system doesn’t?) but the vfm is exceptional. The Atom (also owned) just doesn’t do it for me (too lifestyle) and the UQ is so cute and small. If only name could do something similar and less ‘lifestyle’ in aesthetic.

advertisement

Back