advertisement

Naim Nait 2 vs

alans1957

pfm Member
My son just bought a Leak 230 amp as a replacement for a Naim Nait 2, problem is he is finding whilst the Leak is better in some areas it is just not as enjoyable/ musical to listen as the Naim.

So in my opinion if he likes the sound of the Nait 2 he should try Naim kit of that era in a pre power combo that would give him the that Naim sound but with a bit more control and dynamics.

Is there anything other than Naim gear of that era that will give him that musicality etc, that should be considered budget is circa £1500.

Rega IO maybe. I've not heard one beside the Nait but I reckon they must sound very similar and the Rega has double the power.

The Brio-R is a fuller, warmer sound but still rhythmic and more powerful again.

Old Naim amps, like a 72/140 for instance, will be better but not much and they're not cheap. Servicing is expensive and if it's not been done you'll probably be doing it in the near future.

An Exposure integrated amp from the Farlowe era may be just what you’re looking for. I prefer an Exposure XV to both a Nait 1 and Nait 2.
The Naits are excellent, but the XV is just a bit fuller sounding and is better tonally as well, without giving up anything musically. I own all three amps, and have had them all recently serviced.
We all hear things differently, though, so this is just one guy’s opinion. All three are very good amps, and are actually much more similar than different.

A Rega IO would certainly be worth a try. It's a gem and great vfm. In my experience (had both) the little IO is a better amp than the Brio-r.
(might surprise him and save him a lot of cash!)

Most of the CB/Olive pre-power combo's would also be safe bet. (due to the age of these amps a recap service would be very wise though, but with a budget of around 1500,- UKP, I think it might be possible)

The Nait-2 really is something special imho. I've had (way too) many integrated amps over the last >30 years, but I can't think of much amps that can hold a candle to the Nait-2! There is one brand that comes to mind, that shares the same prat, transparency and musical enjoyment, but with a little bit power and that's a Sonneteer Campion, Alabaster. (pretty hard to find on the s/h market though, as they're discontinued since 2013/2014 (Campion) and 2018 (Alabaster)

If he likes that Naim sound get this:

JVC AX-Z1010TN​

In the classifieds. It is new and will take him right through any front end or speaker.

Personally I discovered, rather late, that I didn’t having bought every Olive combo and ending on modded mono 110s.

If you can find one , go for an Inca Tech Claymore.
I saw someone recommended the Onix OA21 which in my opinion better than a Nait 2. I have owned both

If you can find one , go for an Inca Tech Claymore.
I saw someone recommended the Onix OA21 which in my opinion better than a Nait 2. I have owned both
I've always wanted to try these two. I remember the very good reviews of the Claymore at the time. I love the name.
A Rega IO would certainly be worth a try. It's a gem and great vfm. In my experience (had both) the little IO is a better amp than the Brio-r.
I think that depends on the context. My son picked the IO over the Brio-R but my daughter and I both preferred the Brio-R. Bottom line is that they are both really good little amps and great value.
An Exposure integrated amp from the Farlowe era may be just what you’re looking for. I prefer an Exposure XV to both a Nait 1 and Nait 2.
It's interesting you mention Exposure. When I auditioned the Nait2 I heard it up against about four other amps, one of which was the Exposure X. With the benefit if hindsight I should have bought the Exposure but I walked into that shop wanting a box that said Naim on it. That led to twenty years of Naim ownership when cheaper, more satisfying amplifiers were out there the whole time.

Yeah, whatever you do, don't get on the Naim ladder. They are designed to leave you wanting and feeling the need to upgrade. That is all anyone on the Naim forum talks about. You know you've got it right when you'r happy with what you already have.

My son picked the IO over the Brio-R but my daughter and I both preferred the Brio-R.
Interesting if they manage to improve the price range performance with new upcoming Brio.
Hope its not cabinet changes only.

Rega IO & Brio in my opinion is hard to better at the price talking new kit.
I need to have my Nait 50 up against them one day, before getting too old to bother compares.🥸

I think that depends on the context. My son picked the IO over the Brio-R but my daughter and I both preferred the Brio-R. Bottom line is that they are both really good little amps and great value.
I agree with you Mr. Pig. Both are indeed really good and great vfm. I think it al comes down to personal preference/taste in sound.

I do feel that the IO is closer in its sonic character to the Nait 2 though, compared to the Brio-r.

My son just bought a Leak 230 amp as a replacement for a Naim Nait 2, problem is he is finding whilst the Leak is better in some areas it is just not as enjoyable/ musical to listen as the Naim.

So in my opinion if he likes the sound of the Nait 2 he should try Naim kit of that era in a pre power combo that would give him the that Naim sound but with a bit more control and dynamics.

Is there anything other than Naim gear of that era that will give him that musicality etc, that should be considered budget is circa £1500.
Everyone who sells off a NAIT (original or 2) ends up regretting having done so.

I do feel that the IO is closer in its sonic character to the Nait 2 though, compared to the Brio-r.
Yes. Despite owning them decades apart I can't help but feeling they sound remarkably similar.
Everyone who sells off a NAIT (original or 2) ends up regretting having done so.
Agree. But that is largely to do with the cultural significance and resale value ark. Sonically, I'm not missing it one bit.

Despite manning the machine, stuffing the extra bits on, wiring them together, then testing literally thousands of the things they still have a place in my heart, and I won't let go of mine either.
If I still had mine I would not sell it either. It's an iconic product which transcends its material values.

I’d probably look for a nice 2nd hand Supernait. I think Rega have a different sound to naim. Last amp I heard of theirs was rather smooth.

Reinstate the Nait2, sell the Leak - job done? If he wants better sound quality we need to know speakers too, assuming he doesn’t want to change them?

@Dowser he is returning the Leak. Speakers are JBL4312G.
Nice speakers. I have owned 4311, 4312e, and now have 4429. The first two are very much alike, as you may know, but the 4429 is a large step up since it uses compression drivers for the mids and highs.
My comments regarding the Naits and Exposure XV were in the context of them driving the 4429s.

Nice speakers. I have owned 4311, 4312e, and now have 4429. The first two are very much alike, as you may know, but the 4429 is a large step up since it uses compression drivers for the mids and highs.
My comments regarding the Naits and Exposure XV were in the context of them driving the 4429s.
Did you ever use your nait 2 to drive the 4311/12s? I am considering this combination.

advertisement

Back