advertisement

Naim Nac82

Biker Boy

pfm Member
I am shortly to collect a fully serviced 82 to replace my 102:D:D:D, and last weekend I took delivery of an Avondale S100:D:D. With the 102 I have a teddy cap plus which has been a great improvement. With the 82 I have read that fitting 2 hicaps or similar is a great improvement what does the second Hi cap do??? And is it worth the extra expense.
Doug:confused::confused::confused:

I could be wrong but I thought the second hicap was mandatory on an 82 (or, alternatively, you can use a Supercap).

No, an 82 can be used with 1 Hi. Or 2.

Is it worth the expense? Only you can tell. I have lived happily with 1 for 17 years.

JohanR

One HiCap is good two a waste of money but a Supercap transforms the 82 to a higher plane altogether.

Cheers,

DV

I am using a TPX1 with a 72 and like it, just checked the Avondale web site and the 82 is not listed in the compatibility section.

I am using a TPX1 with a 72 and like it, just checked the Avondale web site and the 82 is not listed in the compatibility section.
Give Les at Avondale a ring, I'm sure he will sort you out a power supply for the 82.

You can run an 82 with a TPX1/2. LesW also makes a Multicap = Avondaled Supercap but as these became available after I moved on from the 82 I can't comment on the performance.

Cheers,

DV

I tried the TPX in place of my Hicap on my 82, then a supercap olive - now saving for the supercap!

Horses and courses of course

Martin with 2p worth

Hi
I had an 82/HC and went to an Avondale APX4, which is similar to 2 Hi-caps, big improvement in every way.
Regards
Jim

Chaps

Naim is pricey and sought after because of the Naim sound. Why pollute it with something else?

It is like buying a Rolls Royce and chucking some old cheap commercial engine oil in it.

Regards

Mick

Your TeddyCap pLus should work just fine. Try it and see how you get on before spending any more money.

I had an 82 and tried lots of different power supplies. 1 HC, 2 HC, SC, TPX1, 2xTPX1.

PM me a UK phone number if you'd like to discuss this.

I run an 82 on two HC's and it clearly is better than one.

two HC's completely separate the power to left and right channels.

The SC doesn't offer any theorectical advantage over two HC's since it still only supplies 4 rails to the 82, but there maybe some sort of benefit to having one transformer rather than two.

Hi,
My experience mirrors Darth's.

Had an 82 with one HiCap - added a second and not really much difference.
Added a Supercap - HUGE difference!

Y

I have an 82 with 2No TPX1's, I've had this set up for 1 year
to be honest, I also run Avondale M130s through SBL's.
The TPX1's are very very good. I did want to try a TPX2,
but decided to stick with what I had.

No need to upgrade for a whlile, The TPX1's bring space, clarity
detail in a natural way, having two gives a more effortless delvery
to performances in my opinion.

I've had hicaps before & they are N improvment over no power supply
but not the best out there or the cheapest or best value

perhaps I should get an SC to try out

or perhaps just nick a pair of regs out of one hc and transplant it into the other - then I'd have a mini sc in an hc sized box!

really , cant somebody shut mr parry up.

im sorry , ive bitten my lip for so long but its like the man has naim tourrettes (im a naim owner 32.5/hicap/250, cd3.5/fc so im not anti naim and will be getting an ndac soon)

people can buy whatever bloody power supply they like, they may percieve a difference in the sound, they prefer it to other options - it their bloody choice - but every f-ing time somebody uses anything other than naim with their naim kit - up pops up bloody parry to say you need a pure blood system withouy any muggle influence

parry - everyone knows your stance but i wish you would shut the f--k up sometimes. if i were head of naim pr dept - id want to shut you up

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom