advertisement

Naim: Is it personal?

I try very hard not to think about the sound at a live show as its usually so bad. No deep bass, one note midbass, a big gap and then the compression piezos highlighting sibilance

Rock is fatiguing for my wife no matter the sound kit or even large and small shows she tried to attend with me.
Not for me though as I am a big fan.
I know, it’s only rock and roll but I like it.
In the 80s(?) when some councils were trying to bring in noise level limits to reduce hearing damage, someone (I can't find it now) did some research that appeared to show that music you like did less physical damage than music you don't. So I am not surprised your wife finds it fatiguing.

I try very hard not to think about the sound at a live show as its usually so bad. No deep bass, one note midbass, a big gap and then the compression piezos highlighting sibilance
Wrong shows, then. I like Kora music, and small scale jazz and chamber music, some of which are un-amplified.

Naim & Linn are tiny companies, the Japanese behemoths did far more to shape the destiny of the audio industry. Then, the likes of Apple came along & Hifi as we know it ceased to exist on the mass market.

Remember who invented CD?

If anything Naim & Linn helped salvage something for the Hifi nerds.

I find this ongoing obsession completely ridiculous.

I’ve always hated the sound at rock gigs, always too loud, distorted and potentially ear damaging to the extent I have worn ear-plugs since my early 20s. Never understood why anyone tries to recreate that racket at home. Rock music on record or CD never existed, it is entirely a studio creation and the studio monitors are the only logical reference point.

This has nothing to do with Linn/Naim though. Back when I ran such systems they never sounded like a crap pub gig at all. I have heard dealer rooms and shows sound pretty much as bad though! I think of a Linn/Naim system as warm and bouncy, if it is edgy or aggressive it is set up badly, played too loud, or in a bad reverberant room. Even Kans should have a real warmth to them if they are used within their envelope.

Last edited:
Naim Chrome was the last hurrah for the pure LP analog system with no compromises, then along came Olive and the start to acknowledge that digital could be an input/source hence the 729 cards etc. helped but also in turn hurt the analog input source and future systems growingly became compromises in trying to best serve two masters. Then LP12 upgrades moving forward were engineered to sound/fit better into these newer compromised systems thus becoming compromised itself to some extent starting with Cirkus. These days IMO Rega is the company that still takes analog very seriously, they seemed to have ran with the Chrome philosophy idea going forward truer than Naim and Linn did, Roy still continues to state that there is more emotion and listening pleasure to be gleaned from music played on their humble P1 than the best of any digital source.

I mostly never go to rock concerts.
Prefer small jazz events and mainly classical of all kind, Beethovens 9th last year was a highlight indeed.

Many said during decades Naim can't replay classical music.
I disagree, using my vintage Naim ever so often and Prat is important with only a few other brands compete.

Seems a well mannered and constructive thread to me....bit of pruning had to happen but on the whole a good thread.I doubt it will run to 10 pages though.

What happens when someone ditches a bad habit? They become ex-smokers. The old posts from the earlier versions of this and the old Naim forums have all been dumped down the memory hole. Many of the ex-smokers remain here posting on Linn and Naim threads or preaching about their new religion.
Some of us haven't quit Naim completely, even whilst I subscribe to the vintage Jap-fi philosophy ... for now.

The fuss is fading away now, most of the Linn/Naim system owners must be 70 or more now. Those a bit younger like me didn't have the money to join in straight out of university. Tony L is an outlier
I'm not quite 60.

The main things I 'enjoy' about live music are:

* How your favourite artists can't hold a note or play an instrument that well compared to the studio tracks
* The £7 pints
* The awful accoustics
* Being surrounded by a sea of twats

Never really been a fan of live music.
And that’s just the Royal Opera House…

advertisement

Back