advertisement

Naim Intro

say it as it is

pfm Member
Hi just checking I am not doing anything obviously wrong regards set up or placement.
Tried a foot away from back wall to almost on the wall slight change but still not right.
Placed on granite plinth as have laminate floor covering over chipboard floors.
Nait XS feeding them at the moment.
They sound thin and shrill.
There is bass but it is totally overpowered by the brash shouty vocals and midrange. They are fast and detailed but unpleasant.
It seems like the treble and mids are at a higher volume than the bass.
When just bass on a track they sound good clean not bloated if not the deepest, then vocals or even the crack of a drum are overpowering.
The tweeters seem more than ok from what they produce. The drivers do work and can produce bass.
Now either it's the room or the cross overs are pants. It's the early model with internal crossovers and scanspeak tweeters.
The room has not changed much still has a large rug and sofa and armchair as before.
The walls are the devil's work dot n dab plasterboard with air gap over thermoblock.
Other speakers have behaved much better same room.
What worries me if this is the naim sound I don't want to spend any more on the SBLs already had drivers and crossovers away for service just now.
Wish I had kept the old nam402s

Any advice before I give up?

It might be worth double checking that both speaker are in phase - out of phase, the bass will sound odd.

Plenty of stuff to try before you give up

The L / R will be out of phase if its connected like this

Amp ch1 + > Speaker ch1 -
Amp ch1 - > Speaker ch1 +

Amp ch2 + > Speaker ch2 +
Amp ch2 - > Speaker ch2 -

The bass can/will cancel in the room.

Hope that makes sense.

Fed from a nait XS the +and - are correct or red to red, black to black.
Usual naim opposites speaker connection eg right speaker goes in left side as you look from the front. Marked channel 1 left channel2 right.
Have tried swapping that to no effect.

Still way too much miss and treble compared to bass.

Either they don't suit the room or the crossovers are way out of spec

OK worth checking.

I've heard Naim describe their sound as 'Live, like it's right there in front of you'

When criticised people say Naim stuff is 'harsh / too forward '

As you say - it may be that they just doesn't suit your room.

Does the damping material appear to be still present within the upper enclosures?

1911.jpg

yes was still there when I looked .

tbh they have been nothing but trouble since I got them seller stiffed me om spikes and pips.

how easy is it to take the crossovers out then?

am I right in thinking all the naim speakers used the same passive crossover? if so when when I eventually get my SBL crossovers back might be worth trying them.

or what would it cost to take the internal crossovers out and refurb them? I was under the impression the external crossover was superior?

They sound thin and shrill.
There is bass but it is totally overpowered by the brash shouty vocals and midrange. They are fast and detailed but unpleasant.

Sounds like Intos to me. One of those speakers I don't see the point of. So many other less troublesome speakers available I just don't know why you'd bother with them.

In fact, could the same be said of Naim speakers in general?

Sounds like Intos to me. One of those speakers I don't see the point of. So many other less troublesome speakers available I just don't know why you'd bother with them.

In fact, could the same be said of Naim speakers in general?

Still better than a pair of Gershmann's.

:)))

strange as my experience of naim amps and cd players is the opposite the bass and rhythm firmly the dominant sound with the vocals overlaid gives that energy

The floor is laminate so have to use spikes with cups ,shoes whatever they are called.
Every other speaker I have had works better with the plinth.
Cable currently chord c screen, tried Avondale black link as well not a huge difference.

In my view and experience, you accurately describe how Intros sound. They have some saving graces, but poor overall. I preferred the IBL.

You need to get them as close as poss to a solid rear boundary.

The floor is laminate so have to use spikes with cups ,shoes whatever they are called.

You don't have to. What you mean is that you choose to. Both metal cups and the granite will make the sound harder and remove warmth, which is exactly the opposite of what you want. You could try small squares of MDF or plywood under the spikes, still a compromise but better than the granite.

A lot of things people think are upgrades, because they add more perceived detail, actually make the music less coherent and inviting. You're experiencing that right now.

Also, put the grilles on. I just know you've got them off haven't you? ;0)

In my view and experience, you accurately describe how Intros sound.

I agree. The Credo is a bit better but Intros cross the line. Cost cutting gone too far. Just don't sound right. They might clean up with really talented kit in front of them but who in their right mind would do that?

advertisement

Back