advertisement

Naim IBL

I doubt there are many mk1 IBL around as they really couldn’t stand much power before going bang.

as for the kan comparison, kans sound like transmission line 18” subs compared to the IBL.

Indeed, hope you enjoy them as much as I did mine.

We will see. I listen a lot to organ music and large scale symphonies and these are on paper not the best loudspeakers for it. However, speed is something important and it can show a different perception on music. I’m also looking to replace my tv’s loudspeakers which are currently BW cm5’s and I’m quite done with B&W now.

... I listen a lot to organ music and large scale symphonies and these are on paper not the best loudspeakers for it. However, speed is something important and it can show a different perception on music.
There is only so much you can get out of a pair of 4" mid-woofers.

I wonder if I am the only bloke in the world with Rega ELAs, Naim IBLs, and Linn Kans, all at the same time?

Never had Kans (though I've often been tempted), I had a pair of Rega EL8s and IBLs at the same time. Though I liked the EL8s I came to the conclusion I prefered the IBLs, so I sold them, but there's a part of me that wishes I had kept them. I feel that about most of the gear I move on! :(

I loved the EL8. IME, EL8 is to Kyte, what IBL is to Kan.

I still have Kytes here, and setup like Kans on decent stands (SO High Stands in my case) they do nothing wrong.

There is only so much you can get out of a pair of 4" mid-woofers.

Yup, but there is a thought. I try to understand and feel Beethoven, something I have not managed to master yet. For Beethoven agility and speed are more important than timbre. At least that is the test I’m going to do. The IBLs will find a good place anyhow. I need to replace my bedroom wireless speaker which died a few weeks ago.

Never had Kans (though I've often been tempted), I had a pair of Rega EL8s and IBLs at the same time. Though I liked the EL8s I came to the conclusion I prefered the IBLs, so I sold them, but there's a part of me that wishes I had kept them. I feel that about most of the gear I move on! :(

My wife wishes that I would “move stuff on”

Failed so far.. :( .....but we have loaned daughter2 a rather nice Meridian 101B/M20 combo :)

I rather fancy trying a pair of IBLs... to compare them against my various sets of speakers (see note above)....... Kans, SBLs, Briks, more Meridians......

Lagavullin I think you will be in for a treat, I've found the IBLs really excel with classical music :p

Last edited:
Do you mean that it is an insult to the IBLs to replace a wireless speaker?

thinking about it, it might well be a good idea. Nait 5 & IBLs.
Nah, just kidding. It would be more of an insult if you were replacing a pair of IBLs with a bluetooth speaker. Having said that, I've acquired a lot of classic 'speakers from people who have done that very thing.

My IBLs are actually rescue speakers, as I purchased them from a bloke who hadn't a clue how to set them up such that they had a chance of sounding acceptable. They were demoed to me sitting in the middle of a large lounge on the end of a Nakamichi receiver with the loudness knob set to max (by 'loudness' I don't mean the volume control). Having heard that exact same pair at the dealers, and at one or two local dealer shows in domestic settings (on CDS/NAC52/52PS/135s), I knew what they were capable of and just wanted to ensure that the drivers worked properly.

BTW, I run mine on the end of a NAIT 2 in a largish bedroom, and they sound wonderful; with the string bass walking round like it owns the place!

advertisement

Back