advertisement

Naim HDX

According to Naim, the HDX is supposed to be "equivalent" to a CDX2 or an NDX streamer.
Equivalent probably means a balance of relative strengths & weaknesses overall but does not mean the same.

Sadly, this isn't much of an endorsement to me, as I haven't heard a bare CDX2 that I like. However, strap an XPS2 or 555PS power supply to it and I really quite like it, certainly enough to have bought one.

I've heard the NDX with and without XPS2 external power supplies and found it to be inoffensive but bland & a bit boring. I've heard the HDX once and found it bland & a bit boring. Perhaps there's a theme emerging...

So if the HDX ticks most boxes for you, I would ask to hear it both with & without an XPS2 power supply, as it may very well make a big difference to you.

However, a CDS3 is a considerable step more musical than any of the above players to me, which is why I sold the CDX2 and bought the CDS3 that I have enjoyed ever since.

Hope this helps, FT

Then be happy, but justifying it with stuff about optical disc spinning somehow being superior to the same files served directly is absurd. My CDS3 was a fine player but if you can't find an alternative digital system to equal that - you are not trying very hard. If you are determined to stick to Naim then yes, the CDS3 will be hard to beat.

I have Home auditioned an ADS , Hugo, Weiss202 and a Rega Isis - and im not knocking any of them , they all had their strengths / weaknesses , but the CDS3 communicated Better as an allrounder :), with my Naim Pre

I really like the convenience of streaming/dacs , it took me over a decade to go to CD from my beloved Lp12 , but as yet i have not heard anything that is substantially better than the Cds3

I have Home auditioned an ADS , Hugo, Weiss202 and a Rega Isis - and im not knocking any of them , they all had their strengths / weaknesses , but the CDS3 communicated Better as an allrounder :), with my Naim Pre

I really like the convenience of streaming/dacs , it took me over a decade to go to CD from my beloved Lp12 , but as yet i have not heard anything that is substantially better than the Cds3

Some live music perhaps ?

Hi Southwell
You pay for tickets to see someone famous at the National Indoor Arena, go, start to listen in the main auditorium and find it so loud, harsh & distorted that it tears your ears off.

Step outside into the corridor and find that it is almost bearable to listen to, though you can't see the performers any more, so go home.

Swear never to go to the NIA again, sit down in the living room and listen to the same performer's latest album, replayed on the music system at home. Aaaahhhh, so much better.

Conversely, go to a much smaller concert at e.g. the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester and it's a considerably better, more immersive, multi-sensory experience than any hifi can manage.

Best regards, FT

I have never been to any concert where I would prefer to listen to a recording of the artist in preference,what a way to live your life.

I would suggest that you also have a listen to the NDX. Both the NDX and HDX benefit from the addition of an external power supply. Even the entry level XP5 XS with give you a noticeable boost.

It seems that I really ought to try and get hold of an HDX and give it a go to see how it fares.

The Royal Exchange is a rather exceptional performance space. Lucky for me that I live virtually on its doorstep.

Hi Southwell
You pay for tickets to see someone famous at the National Indoor Arena, go, start to listen in the main auditorium and find it so loud, harsh & distorted that it tears your ears off.

Step outside into the corridor and find that it is almost bearable to listen to, though you can't see the performers any more, so go home.

Swear never to go to the NIA again, sit down in the living room and listen to the same performer's latest album, replayed on the music system at home. Aaaahhhh, so much better.

Conversely, go to a much smaller concert at e.g. the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester and it's a considerably better, more immersive, multi-sensory experience than any hifi can manage.

Best regards, FT

Dabbled in many Hi end Dacs/ streamer

It is a pity you did not hear hi-res files presented properly...

but for me the CDS3 is something very special "sheer musicality", its still my favourite digital reference source(ps i have not heard a Cd555)

Limited to 16/44 on a Philips transport - and that's your reference?? The 555 was comprehensively out-performed by the likes of Mark Levinson, Ayre and Zanden yonks ago. Suggest you listen to kit from a company that understands networks, streaming and IT at some point.

Interestingly i had a friend over on Friday night who has an Lp12/ekos/arkiv , he left gobsmacked , just could not believe how good a CD player could sound

Having owned a few LP12s and the players you mention, I have to say I have only ever been gobsmacked at how good LP replay was. I don't think I have ever heard anyone claim a CDS3 was better than a good turntable, gobsmacked or not.

Finally, I would recommend the OP listen to the Linn DS players and Devaliet. While they may not be to taste, they will at least give an insight into what is possible from companies which have some understanding of networks, software and the architecture needed for modern devices.

Abbydog
Many thanks for your words of wisdom

FYI- i have listened many times to hi-res files on kit that i have home demoed and a Klimax at my local Linn dealer(think that quantifies "files presented properly" since your a bit of a Linn Fan:rolleyes:)

Obviously you don’t like Naim(anymore) and the way they present music (horses/ courses), I can’t agree with your opinion , but I know what I like

My friend was “gobsmacked” at the performance of the CDS3, I did Not state that he thought it was better than his Lp12 , rather the CDS3 as a digital source was compellingly good . I used to own a Lp12/ekos/troika/lingo/circus and would still have this today , only for the lack of mass produced vinyl and quality issues associated with the last albums that I purchased

I will agree with you on the performance of a Top Lp12 with good quality vinyl (amazing)

Now time for a Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:eek:

We all like different presentations- what's news. Having had a couple of different set ups at home has made me reminded me that system matching is at least half the story.

Additionally, one persons revealing might be another's bright, particularly given there are differences in what we actually hear and perceive. So it's not a shock than what works for one even if theoretically superior according to your particular church/theory is not another's Preference.
It's not religion though some hear do seem to take an Isis like "there is only one Allah" approach.

advertisement

Back