advertisement

Naim HDX

linntroika

You haven't found any hi-res files superior to CDs played back on a CDS3 then?

I will admit that on some material that I have heard particularly on the Klimax(The Beatles 192) , it did sound very good(superior if you wish to call it ) . On home demo with an ADS in my system again on some files they sounded incredibly vibrant and flawless.
Whether the Dacs/ streamers that I have listened to had hi-res playing or not , was not the issue . I much prefer the way a CDS3 communicates; it has warmth, richness, fabulous bass slam and wonderful natural sounding vocals(Not even mentioning is fabulous soundstage). I totally forget that I am listening to a Hifi with the Naim , but with the streamers/Dacs to date it’s been a bit boring :rolleyes:

I think JB76 has summed it up rather well Dont You:D

Thanks for the reply - we're probably not as far apart as you might think here. I could comment, for instance, that as you've found nothing better than the CDS3 from Naim something like 11 streamers and a dozen years down the line, 'Obviously you don’t like Naim(anymore)'

It is not a wind up - either we stick with 16/44 and accept that is as far as it goes or we try for something better. The fact that the current 'something better' isn't hitting the spot for a number of people is interesting... whoever makes the streamers.

Apart from; an entirely acoustic performance in an excellent venue, with a silent audience, I fail to see how any concert can sound better than a well engineered recording heard through a good system. The concert may well be a better total experience, but in terms of pure sound I doubt it happens very often.
I have been performing live for decades, and playing through PA systems involves many compromises.

Dear MichaelC,

I use an NS01, this is the non-screen version of the HDX - and doesn't allow you to add a PSU, thank God.

I use this on the front of my EAR/Living Voice system. It is brilliant.

I do not claim it rips 'better', but it makes the process completley pain free.

I do not claim it is a better stream renderer, but I am not convinced there is much to be gained, and there is much system dependence.

Maybe comes down to whether you are into the music or the HiFi.

M

advertisement

Back