advertisement

Naim does a second Nap250 add much to Nac 52?

Hi Perf,

I found the sound of the CB32.5 very different from the 72.

In all honesty I never compared the 250s, although my CBs were early examples. That said the one I have left was Avondaled a number of years ago and so wouldn't be an ideal comparison in any case. That said, to expand on my order above, via the SBLs:

300DR > 250DR > CB250 (Avondale) > CB250.

M

Wee update - I was able to run the extra 250 straight from my Naim 52PS with its standard cable. Easiest set-up ever :) I used it to to feed my tweeters but with the unit being cold, the sound from them was underwhelming. The bass speakers fed from my warm amp was bigger than before but I'm not sure if thats in a good way until I get the full picture. Speaker cable demo is not ideal as my original's are a 5 meter length and the new ones are 4 meters. Both are Nac5. I have left it playing over night and will continue my demo later this evening.

Last edited:
Update 2 - It's sounding better now. It's definitely more 'muscular' in the bass department and unless my ears are deceiving me, I would say it has lost some of the subtlety that it had :( I'm going to leave it playing over night again and see how it sounds tomorrow.

I believe that it would be worth trying one NAP250 on the LH loudspeaker vs. the other NAP250 driving the RH one.

This would require two custom interconnects, one patterned after Naim's Green band (Channel 1) and the other after their Red band (Channel 2) DIN4-XLR SNAICs for use with NAP135, NAP300, NAP500, etc amps, only with pins 2 (ch1) and 3 (ch2) bridged at the XLR3 ends of each.

Update 2 - It's sounding better now. It's definitely more 'muscular' in the bass department and unless my ears are deceiving me, I would say it has lost some of the subtlety that it had :( I'm going to leave it playing over night again and see how it sounds tomorrow.

Doesn't Naim require a 6 month warm-up phase? ;)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That's another good avenue, and vertical (?) biamping could be better than horizontal, which is what the OP is currently trying.
Ebay quite often has naim or witchhat sets on for 135s, etc, such as this one with Gotham cable, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-4pin-...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1 , there is one for left and another for right.
Those do look good; Preh DIN and Neutrik XLR connectors too.

As the seller also appears to be the maker, perhaps they could adjust the connections for use as L vs R mono'd for NAP250 per side. Likely, simply a matter of bridging pins 2 and 3 at the XLR end. Easily undone should one wish to sell them on later.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back