advertisement

Naim does a second Nap250 add much to Nac 52?

Thomsong

pfm Member
I bought some Naim kit from a seller online which includes a Nap 250. As I currently have a Nap 250 with my Nac 52, I was thinking of trying to get hold of a Snaxo 2-4 and seeing if it adds much to the mix. The kit also came with a Hicap so I would use this to power a Snaxo. All are olive :) They question is - am I wasting my time?

Only useful if you are running SBLs or similar, as SNAXOs are configured to replace naim external crossovers.
FWIW I used to run a 160/250 via a Hicap to a pair of standard biwired speakers, made little difference in my case, but what you are aiming to do would be better in the context of an all Naim system.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the rest of the system. Speakers are Monitor Audio Studio 20SE. Sources are Naim CDI, LP12 and Hugo2/2go.

Only useful if you are running SBLs or similar, as SNAXOs are configured to replace naim external crossovers.
FWIW I used to run a 160/250 via a Hicap to a pair of standard biwired speakers, made little difference in my case, but what you are aiming to do would be better in the context of an all Naim system.

I didn't realise that. I had SBL's but I didn't like the sound.

I wanted to add a NAP 200 to my Supernait to by amp my speakers but the difference was way to subtle to justify the investment. My speakers were B&W CM1 back then.

My SBLs sounded stale until I added another 250 and an Avondale’s Ixo.
I didn't get on with the SBL's. They lacked the transparency and bass control that my PMC FB1+ had at the time. This was before I discovered the Monitor Audio Studio 20SE which are my forever speakers. Everything piece of equipment I have played through them has sounded amazing.

I wanted to add a NAP 200 to my Supernait to by amp my speakers but the difference was way to subtle to justify the investment. My speakers were B&W CM1 back then.
There's nothing worse than spending a lot of cash for a minor improvement. It's happened to me a few times too :(

Theres no harm in having an extra Nap 250.
They keep their value sort of, or use it once the other need service.

Could he not use a 250 for each speaker, or a 250 for each tweeter and one for each mid-range?

He could try a simple biamp, as he has the 250 now, if the speakers have dual posts, and he has another set of speaker cables. No harm in trying, I found no difference. Saying that, my speakers at the time turned out to be not very revealing (QAcoustic Concept 20).

The speakers have two sets of terminals on the rear. I also have a spare set of Nac5 cables so I'll have a muck about later tonight.

Could he not use a 250 for each speaker, or a 250 for each tweeter and one for each mid-range?
I did this some years ago, got Dave @ flashback to make me up a lead to bi amp,it sounded good- a lot better than a single nap 250. Nac 82-2× nap 250 into kef ref 2.2. I'd have a go if I were you for the cost of having a cable made up.it was a nice upgrade for me.

advertisement

Back