advertisement

Naim December price hike

As you cannot get hold of any stainless steel Rolex watches I’d say that a price of Rolex at an AD is acceptable. It’s the secondary market that is taking the urine. New Daytona from AD, £9k. From a dealer £26k. Who is making the killing.

But do people who own Naim (me included) buy it because it's a statement of how much they can afford??
I don't think I did (do) ?
99% of my friends wouldn't have a clue as to how much a few black box's cost
And those that do...have expensive Hifi of their own ( and as is the way... always think it sounds better than anyone elses including mine)

It's just about milking the punter for all he's worth
If it's a football fan ..it's the season ticket
If it's a golfer...it's the green fees.
If it's a sports car owner...it's the parts and service costs

As mentioned above..it's about what the manufacturer can get away with
It doesn’t always work like this. My membership of the 4th oldest club in England and probably top course in the North of England (way better than close house) is £550 per year. A lot less than say Sky subscription.

I understand there are legitimate issues on component price inflation, but these new prices do seem very ambitious - £25K for a 552? I’m amazed they sell many new at that price.

The range needs some updating - the 272 hasn’t been replaced to my surprise. Surely that’s where the market is now - digital/Roon ready/streamer amps

Santa's Little Helpers? From past experience I'd replace the N with a P and the M with an N, was always like a visit to the Dentists to my ears.

such a first world problem.

Yet it'd cost shed loads to replace the faded display on my Unitiqute - Naim are cvnts

Naim sells because the company has been very successful at creating a position for its products in a crowded market; and because people are lazy, and buy on the strength of that marketing. Dealers form part of the strategy.

Naim certainly doesn't sell because it is good value (been there, learnt that). One can buy much better kit for the same money... but to do so requires a certain amount of effort.

I’m a bit disgusted by these price hikes. I’ll never buy a Naim item again.

It's a risky marketing philosophy and so far removed from their roots. Naim were the rebels and now they are 'the man'. Trading on past glory but for how long can you do that? How long before your potential customers have no idea about what you used to stand for and just see huge price tags and poor value?

What do you think Julian would make of this?

Just had a look at the price list. A long time since I owned Naim amps - is that list everything they make? It would only take a morning to compare that lot to the competition, so unless the performance is consistently better then their days are numbered.

It's a risky marketing philosophy and so far removed from their roots. Naim were the rebels and now they are 'the man'. Trading on past glory but for how long can you do that? How long before your potential customers have no idea about what you used to stand for and just see huge price tags and poor value?

What do you think Julian would make of this?

Not much I reckon. But it was his company, he wasn’t a venture capitalist just out to milk as much out of it as he could. He was a like minded enthusiast

I've got a hardly used NAP100 sitting in its box doing nothing... and I'm keeping it that way till I can sell it for £10K... and knowing Naim and their crazy price hikes, it's likely to be in a few year's time :D

..is that list everything they make?

I thought it was just me who thought it a short list. Not terribly short, I think it's more that there are big holes where the traditional amp upgrade path used to be and things like speakers are totally missing.

advertisement

Back