advertisement

Naim CDX2 Opinions?

My findings are kinda the flip side of yours Greg, which I guess only goes to show how many variables are at work. We couldn't make our CDX2 work in our room with Naim amplificatioon, but the CDS3 never sounded better to me than when it was on the front of a Naim set up. I feel for anyone who doesn't have the time or facilities to take equipment home for a good audition.

Cheers

Harry,

How exactly did the CDX2 sound in your room? Your response suggests it sounded too soft or boring.

Originally Posted by johnfromnorwich
"Now. Will a CDX2 satisfy me? That is the question."

As I said on page 1 get yourself to AudioFile in Cambridge and find out...

Do it...

Now!

;)

TC

Erm. It's a five hour drive from here. I may make it t Sound Organisation in York in the next coupe of weeks though.

Err

I see...

I'm afraid your handle is somewhat misleading

ie John from NORWICH

NORWICH IS 45 MINUTES FROM CAMBRIDGE

nevermind, good luck in arranging a dem: you will be impressed

TC

Err

I see...

I'm afraid your handle is somewhat misleading

ie John from NORWICH

NORWICH IS 45 MINUTES FROM CAMBRIDGE

nevermind, good luck in arranging a dem: you will be impressed

TC

Earlier in the thread

johnfromnorwich said:
If only. I'm living in North Wales (nr Bangor) at the moment so not I'm not exactly dealer-rich and although I get over to York fairly regularly (and Sound Organisation stock a pretty wide range of Naim kit), I'd be pretty reluctant to make a decision on a dealer demo. I'm pretty sure no Naim dealer would be able to match my system. This would have to be a speculative, 2nd hand, purchase, then sell it on if I don't like it. One advantage of Naim is that the s/h market is pretty stable!

If demoing was easy, I'd have just gone out and done it right away.

The handle is due to having lived all over the place and having a common name....as in This is John...from Norwich. It stuck about 15 years ago - it isn't just an online thing. Actually, I used to live in Cambridge (for 4 years) and I vowed never to return. S.O. might be able to help - friendly peple but the shop is always logjammed at weekends. This is a perennial problem for us audiofools who live out in the styx. I'll sort it out eventually.

Harry,

How exactly did the CDX2 sound in your room? Your response suggests it sounded too soft or boring.

With Naim amplification the sound was lumpy and leaden in the lower registers and quite wonderful in the mid. Very frustrating. We experimented for a few days but in retrospect it was never going to work in our room.

Going down from a 250 to a 200 removed density but still wouldn’t play bass rhythmically. Not the result I was expecting!

Which just goes to show….

Cheers

With Naim amplification the sound was lumpy and leaden in the lower registers and quite wonderful in the mid. Very frustrating. We experimented for a few days but in retrospect it was never going to work in our room.

Going down from a 250 to a 200 removed density but still wouldn’t play bass rhythmically. Not the result I was expecting!

Which just goes to show….

Cheers

Harry,

That is very odd. For me, going from CD5x (with- and without FC2) to the CDX2 was a revelation with respect to timing, bass resolution and coherency. This is with a 200-202 amplification. The CDX2 is a bit "leaner" in the bass than the CD5x. Or, more likely, the CD5x is a bit slow and soggy, at least for my tastes.

Not surprising.

A 250 has a tendency to be phat and happy.
It sort of reminds me of a push-pull valve amp.

Quote:
Don't expect much in terms of soundstage, dynamics or detail resolution and you won't be disappointed.

What DOES it do then?

laurie

John,

There are 2 Naim dealers in Chester, Acoustica and Adventures in HiFi. Go and have a listen to a CDX2 and then come over to Cheadle (about 40mins) and have a listen to the Linn Majik and the Accuphase DP-57. We had a lot of fun recently with a traded in CDX2, almost sad that it had to go... :)

Ed - The AudioWorks, 0161 428 7887.

P.S. The Accuphase is soon to be discontinued, so our dem unit is available if you are looking to save some pennies.

There are 2 Naim dealers in Chester, Acoustica and Adventures in HiFi. Go and have a listen to a CDX2 and then come over to Cheadle (about 40mins) and have a listen to the Linn Majik and the Accuphase DP-57. We had a lot of fun recently with a traded in CDX2, almost sad that it had to go...

Fun indeed. Not much fun if the CDX2 is yours though.

Ed,

You really should have kept that CDX2. It would be a bit like dealers who stock brand x because it is well publicised and gets good reviews in order to sell the superior sounding brand y on the back of it.

Harry,

That is very odd. For me, going from CD5x (with- and without FC2) to the CDX2 was a revelation with respect to timing, bass resolution and coherency. This is with a 200-202 amplification. The CDX2 is a bit "leaner" in the bass than the CD5x. Or, more likely, the CD5x is a bit slow and soggy, at least for my tastes.

Pretty much agree with the differences in CDPs but as stated, but couldn't make Naim amps work in the room with the resident CDX2 front end. Mind you, that was nothing compared to the fun and games we had later in finding new speakers that would play a tune. Like some have said in the "is Naim harsh?" thread, most good systems will sound decent in any listening room but for the perfect "click" you have to work for the right match with some rooms - with both room tuning and component selection. So it is with ours.

Cheers

Quote:
Don't expect much in terms of soundstage, dynamics or detail resolution and you won't be disappointed.

What DOES it do then?

laurie

Laurie,

To be clear, I was referring to the CDX2's performance compared to that of a good quality vinyl source i.e. going back to Johnfromnorwich's original question. I would make the same comments about every CDP that I've heard...

PhilP

I notice you have a Bryston amp. I have the BP25 and 4NRB ST. I use it with Shahinion Arcs and a Krell KPS20i. I'm looking for something to speed the pace and timing up.
Do you still use a CDX2?
Regards,
Mike,

Hi, This might be a bit late for John, but I was looking for a better CD player than my CD5 when I heard a DS player. After two listening session with a 200/250/hi-cap I rated them:

Linn Klimax - the best that I have heard but too expensive at £9000.
Linn Akurate relaxed and enjoyable with a lot of detail, miles away from Linn CD players, brought old recording to life
CD5 with flat-cap, relaxed and enjoyable, notes not well separated
CDX2/XPS -detailed but bright and hard

Regards,
RD

CD is something I accomodate - I have about 2000 of them but rarely buy them new unless there is no altenative. I have yet to find a CD player that does alow me to just enjoy the music - hence this thread!
When I had a Naim system, I never felt CD sounded anywhere as convincing as LP. Even with a CDS2/XPS, I'd always look for vinyl copies wherever possible. Since getting my Densen system (still with a top flight LP12 front end), I've felt far more satisfied with the music-making capabilities of CD to stop looking for new release vinyl these days.

The Densen B-400XS is a superbly analogue-sounding CDP. Highly recommended.

James

When I had a Naim system, I never felt CD sounded anywhere as convincing as LP. Even with a CDS2/XPS, I'd always look for vinyl copies wherever possible. Since getting my Densen system (still with a top flight LP12 front end), I've felt far more satisfied with the music-making capabilities of CD to stop looking for new release vinyl these days.

James
I would agree with your observation - I have owned several Naim CD players and never felt totally comfortable, but Naim amps with a good vinyl front end can really deliver and Naim speakers such as the SBL can also sound great.

I find the Naim CD sound too harsh in the upper mid region.

Try 47 Labs or the new Bel Canto CD players, they seem to combine the best bits of the Naim sound with none of the harshness.

James

This is very usual with many makes. They just lower the LP12 results down and suddenly, a CDP sounds better comparatively.

Oz

This is very usual with many makes. They just lower the LP12 results down and suddenly, a CDP sounds better comparatively.

Oz
If that was the case, I'd have kept the CDS2. It was the last to go. Nice try, though.

James

advertisement

Back