advertisement

Naim CDX2 Opinions?

johnfromnorwich

even my wife noticed the dif..
I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, I'd just lke some views from owners/ex-owners/detractors with specific reference to this model. The reason I ask is that in my depressing quest for a CD player that will make me want to listen to CDs (I have about 2000) I stumbled accrss a personal review/testimonial in a New Zealand based publication, by a journalist strongly associated with vinyl playback (a Michell + valves owner like myself) who suggested that it was both very good and rather atypical in its presentation - specifically sondstage - compared to other Naim players. Everythng I've read by this guy previously has lead me to think he's a straight up music fan and he has reached similar conclusions to me about other pieces of kit. Is this BS or not? Any well informed opinions?

For context:
My Kit: Gyro/Orbe/OL-RB300/DL-110 > Glashouse TVC > WAD6550 Monitor GR10 and currently an ear piercing and abrasive Cyrus CD8/PSXR combo

Please note there are two versions of CDX2. The earlier ones had the VAM1250 transport as used in the CDS3 and the latest ones have the VAM1202 transport as used in the CD5i and CD5x. Although that's the main change, my understanding is that the later ones have had sundry minor changes to enhance their performance. I prefer the later VAM1202 model to the earlier VAM1250 model, finding they have a bit more insight, control and better balance. I think the CDX2 is an excellent machine (I own one) and possibly Naim's best value for money item (well, here in the UK) as it shows a real glimpse of the high end without being insanely priced.

That said, there are other options which are also excellent. For example, an Arcam DV139 (yes I know it's a DVD player) used with a Chord DAC64 is similar money to the CDX2 and offers much in competition to the CDX2.

Regards,
Frank.

Naim's CD5 is a very nice player s/h. Note it's not the 5i or 5x - you might try that. If, after living with it you don't like it - you could easily move it on.

The CDX2 is a nice player but has a slightly brighter and lively voicing. Some Naimees really like it, and others don't like it at all - so there is a definite sound difference over the S series.

If you are already a bit worried by the perceived brightness of CD in your system, then a CD5 might be more to your liking as it is less "in yer face" and is more relaxing without losing any involvement.

Naim's CDS2 (I have one) and 3 are both excellent but expensive.

Steve

Heard one last year in Audio File Cambridge.

Mindblowingly good!! :eek: :eek:

Not far from your neck of the woods so why not arrange a visit.

Regards

TC

PS sadly I could not afford one brand new...:(

I would second Alex S - I had a cdx with xps (not the 2 types) and then tried a densen Beat 400xs and an avondale ACD3, which I have kept - it is the closest to Vinyl, and miles and miles better than the cdx/xps. The Densen is also very very good, but for me, the ACD3 is the one.
Good luck in your search
Steve
PS - I have an Orbe for vinyl

That said, there are other options which are also excellent. For example, an Arcam DV139 (yes I know it's a DVD player) used with a Chord DAC64 is similar money to the CDX2 and offers much in competition to the CDX2.

Very interesting. I have an ARCAM DV29 which replaced my NAIM CDi. The ARCAM was clearly better in all areas!
Infact I have compared the ARCAM DV29 against some high end NAIM players mentioned already and while their presentation was different I prefered the ARCAM. I have an avondale GRAD 1 and mono-blocks with Isobariks.

Sorry to change the subject, perhaps a new thread is needed, what inexpensive second hand DACs could I partner with my ARCAM?? to improve the sound.
Lester

I would second Alex S - I had a cdx with xps (not the 2 types) and then tried a densen Beat 400xs and an avondale ACD3, which I have kept - it is the closest to Vinyl, and miles and miles better than the cdx/xps. The Densen is also very very good, but for me, the ACD3 is the one.
Good luck in your search
Steve
PS - I have an Orbe for vinyl

To be fair, the CDX2 is way better than the CDX.

Johnfromnorwich,

I've had a CDX2 for a little over a year and am regretting having bought it. I find the bare player with standard i/c quite irritating to listen to - its harsh and lacks detail resolution. The Hi-Line improves the detail resolution and presentation considerably and is a "must-have" upgrade. I guess many others could live with this - I want more from my Hi-Fi!

I haven't tried many other leading upmarket i/cs - you may well prefer a cheaper Chord cable to the Hi-Line which again IMHO is over-priced (as are a lot of other cables). A lot of the difference between these high-end i/cs is to do with tonal balance and that's a matter of personal preference so if I were you i'd try 2 or 3 and see what you like.

I've also recently tried the XPS2 and this changed the presentation markedly - more extended, precise bass, more weight over-all in the sound and better detail resolutions. Again, many apparently like this but in the end I thought the music lacked life and sparkle and the performance for a CD player at £6.1k with Hi-Line was not good VFM.

The performance was certainly way behind my turntable which is a low spec LP12.

Anyway, I'm now about to try some other CDPs to see whether I can get better performance at a sub £3k price.

Good luck!

Heard one last year in Audio File Cambridge.

Mindblowingly good!! :eek: :eek:

QUOTE]

Well I actually envy you because if you think a CDX2 is good then wait 'til you hear a good vinyl replay system which is better in every way - detail, dynamics, soundstage and shear musicality!

Audio File would agree I'm sure!

I heard the CDX2 around the time I was ready to upgrade from my CDX. It makes you want to reach for an XPS2 to make it work properly. I bought the Linn Majik because I felt for £800 less it outperformed it even with the the XPS2.

CD players seem to have come along nicely in the last four years since the CDX2 was launched and I really think Naim could do with updating it and make it work well without the offboard power supply. Modern CD players can sound dynamic, tuneful and time well. This used to be an exclusively Naim trait but isn't any more.

The Densen B400XS is also a fantastic player but is soon to be replaced by the B420 and B440.

Thanks for the many and varied respnses. I'd be interested to know whether those who rate the CDX2 (or indeed the CD5) use this as a primary soure or whether they are primarily vinyl based.

PhilP has summed up my dilema nicely - I've owned several CD players but every one has been outclassed by whatever turntable I had at the time. The turntable always cost a lot less than the CD player too. I ca lie with a few pops and clicks but not with ear shredding treble! I probably never would have bought a CD player at all if the quality and availibility of vinyl hadn't nosedived so badly in the early 90s (i.e. pre-internet/direct sales). Now, I can't afford double what a Gyro/Orbe hybrid costs! So I was hoping for something with similar musicality, enough welly for well recrded rock music and a reasonably expansive soundstage - something the CDX2 was decsribed as having. The point of my original post was that soundstaging in particular isn't something I'd ever associated with Naim kit but the recommendation I'd had seemed solid (I contacted the author direct and he stands by his comments a year later - and still owns the player).

All I want is to listen to music that sound like music!!!

Hi johnfromnorwich
I am in Sydney and I will soon have a mint CD5 for sale. I will also have an equally mint hicap to partner it up for grabs.
This is a very highly rearded combo in many peoples eyes so if you are interested in a solution that will not cost silly money perhaps this is for you.
Take a look on the Naim forum and search for CD5 Hicap, this should give you plenty of comparisons, throw "vs" into the search for even more.
If you want to give me a call I am on 0414 470 777.
Incidently I also have a 4 week old Nait 5i if anyone is interested?
Cheers

Gareth

I would agree with the previous posters as regards recommendations.. Coming from slightly left field perhaps, I would personally also recommend two Sony ES players, one still current (just) and the other probably only second hand now.

The XA-9000ES was/is a superb player, with exceptionally high quality DAC's and transport; but recently discontinued new. It is an CD/SACD player, and very highly regarded/reviewed.

The other, is the 9100ES CD/SACD/DVD player, which should still be available new in NZ. I use one myself, although using it as a transport with the IEEE 1394 interface with a digital amp, but the DACS are still very high quality, albeit arguably not up to the same standard as the ones in the XA.

However, a while back, a forum member here posted about replacing his Naim CDS3 with the 9100ES and preferring the results. The rest of his kit was 552/500/DBL's as I recall. So even allowing for personal opinion, I think it could be said it most certainly holds it's own with players that have much more expensive price tags, and perhaps reputation.

IMHO and experience, it sounds closer to vinyl, and much more like music than the Naim players (having owned one as well as hearing all the range)

But I do think any of the recommendations are all very good. And don't discount having an listen to the CDX2, as YOU might really take to it.

HTH

All the best

John..:cool:

I was an earlyish pioneer of non naim CDP's

I've auditioned the CDXII and to me it just has something not quite right about it that I can't quite put my finger on. (and adding the XPSII doesn't make it go away)

The CDS3 on the other hand is perfectly acceptable, though has never been raced directly against what I own Which is a TAG DVD32R + Benchmark DAC (used to have a Chord DAC64)

Given that a 2nd user DVD32R (get the later one with the Sanyo transport) and a brand new bencmark DAC could be had for a comarable price to a 2nd user CDXII I'd say it was a no brainer.

Also don't overlook the Linn Majik (though you'll probably need to buy that new) which will also see of a CDXII (with or without XPSII).

I was an earlyish pioneer of non naim CDP's

I've auditioned the CDXII and to me it just has something not quite right about it that I can't quite put my finger on. (and adding the XPSII doesn't make it go away)

Also don't overlook the Linn Majik (though you'll probably need to buy that new) which will also see of a CDXII (with or without XPSII).

I agree there's something not quite right about the CDX2 which can sound very good with the XPS2+ Hi-Line (for a CDP) on some pieces and then really disappointing on others - and its not just the recording?

By coincidence I picked up a Majik today to try out against the CDX2. Too early yet to have a firm opinion especially as the dealer kindly lent me a Nordost Baldur i/c along with it which complicates matters.

So far I would say the Majik+Baldur has a more forward presentation (which my wife likes) and vocals are portayed more sympathetically versus CDX2+std i/c harshness and occasional shout. On the other hand the CDX2+standard i/c gives more weight and richness to the music while the Majik+Baldur is brighter/lighter.

PRaT ... not really noticed much difference between the two but I've only listened to fairly laid-back music so far.

This discussion is bizarre. Vinyl is great but, sadly, no longer seriously available. It's time to move on. My journey thru CDi -> cds2->cds3 etc. has been fascinating and every bit value for money. It's all about enjoying music.

advertisement

Back