advertisement

Naim CDI....is this the transport failing or is it the puck?

Seochris

pfm Member
Hi…have a CDI and love it…although lately it’s been missing a beat or two. It can be improved by trying to re-arrange the 3 rubber o rings around the periphery of the puck.
The question I’m asking is “am I seeing the beginning of the end” of the CDI or is it just the puck that’s the issue? I’m on my second in 6 months!
I have too many CDs just to give them up and if Naim made a commensurate new version of that CD player I would probably just go and get it…
Help needed and thanks…
PS. I tried to clean the transport system and the white ring but it seems to have made it worse....it’s slipping badly and now unlistenable.
Any suggestions?

I had disks that slipped on my CD3.5 even when it was brand new. The pucks are not the best idea.

If you cut a disk of sticky tape or something and put it on a CD you know slips it will help the puck to grip. If that works and it plays ok you'll know it's just the puck or disk platter.

My cyrus cd xt se transport is pretty good..and no problems with cds ' slipping' just on the odd occasion it holds onto a cd like grim death.. it always releases it when I threaten to replace it with a steepletone cd player! Cheapish pre loathed..sorry loved! Excellent transport..big sound.

Not sounding good.One question is it all CD or do some play ok.You could try cleaning the centre of the CDs that mate with the puck and platter with a micro cloth ,ie what you clean spectacles with, only a subjection.

The old CDs play a lot better...still some slip but listenable...just. The new CDs...just can’t play them.

Gently check how freely the spindle rotates, I have come across sticky motors in those Philips mechs. If you have no errors but the disc is slipping during play, it could be that the grip on the spindle platter has worn? Quick way to check would be to cut out some paper and place under the disc? Thin O ring might also work?

Buy a puck 5, it works a treat with my CDS, unless the Nextel ring on the hub has worn out. I stopped using the top hat pucks years ago.
Ordered one yesterday....but thanks. Very encouraging.
Is there any way of knowing if the nextel ring has worn out?. Is there any way of replacing or fixing the nextel ring?

Buy a puck 5, it works a treat with my CDS, unless the Nextel ring on the hub has worn out. I stopped using the top hat pucks years ago.

Same! The "clamp 5" has no rubber grommets to deform/deteriorate and it works perfectly with my CD5.

https://flic.kr/p/2kFTuWb

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kFTuWb]CDI transport
by Chris Connorton, on Flickr
50990862526_3dd1949c64_c.jpg
CDI transport[/url] by Chris Connorton, on Flickr[/IMG] [/URL]

What do you think? Ok or not?

advertisement

Back