advertisement

Naim CD player Trade-in Scheme

Mick,

I’d have bought a NAT 01 if it were available, but a Revox turned up for peanuts.

Joe

All this talk about ancient Naim CD players makes me think my next DIY project may be to resurrect my CDX which sits in a box on our garage. It was modded with a flea power supply for the clock plus a few other things, and was used with a XPS which I sold. If I can find the transformer which I removed and the shorting plug might be a fun project.

Do all the players listed for trade in use the same mech (I haven’t checked)? If so it may be a grab for more reliable original Philips spares for what is becoming an increasingly unreliable market with the Chinese/Taiwanese clones. If the players still work today, then they probably will for years to come - if they don‘t a full strip/clean/relube would probably fix more than 50% of those that don’t - I have never thrown a VAM12x mech out for exactly this reason…but while clone replacements still work I use them (£25 quid versus 2 hours of my time). And they get to sell more of latest streaming tech, what’s not to like?

Do all the players listed for trade in use the same mech (I haven’t checked)? If so it may be a grab for more reliable original Philips spares for what is becoming an increasingly unreliable market with the Chinese/Taiwanese clones. If the players still work today, then they probably will for years to come - if they don‘t a full strip/clean/relube would probably fix more than 50% of those that don’t - I have never thrown a VAM12x mech out for exactly this reason…but while clone replacements still work I use them (£25 quid versus 2 hours of my time). And they get to sell more of latest streaming tech, what’s not to like?
As has already been mentioned, why on earth would Naim want my 26 year old mech? It’s on borrowed time, they really wouldn’t want it.

I'm sure Cyrus did a similar thing about 10 yrs ago. When the CDi was launched owners of older (more troubled) Cyrus players were invited to trade them in for a lump sum to upgrade to a CDi. A slightly cynical exercise some would say to remove unreliable players from their owners. Can't remember what the px figures were.

Joe

There is something nice about having an all Naim system.
I have two systems in regular use, an all Linn system and an all Naim system, both work tremendously well and just look right, especially the Naim stuff (I have a mixture of eras of linn, my Naim stuff in Classic series).

Does the trade in program also include CD players that were serviced/recapped by third party techs or even diy guys? And what about CD players that already show problems?

Does the trade in program also include CD players that were serviced/recapped by third party techs or even diy guys? And what about CD players that already show problems?
Good question.
In any way, sales comes first, I believe you can hand over just about anything if they get their money for a rather overpriced kit.

I like the way my cd5/hicap sounds better than the trade in options. When it dies I'll have to decide if that's it for a roomful of cds. Probably get another but not sure why.

advertisement

Back