advertisement

Naim CD player Trade-in Scheme

Thinking about this offer I am wondering if it is more about Naim getting the streamers out of the door than the cd players in. The streamer market has been shaken up by Eversolo and Wiim recently and the Naim offerings may well be not selling well, they may have excess stock to clear and it is likely they want to release new streamers.

Perhaps it's also to move some streamers but if that's the only objective, why specify only certain models of CD players and not all (or those after a certain manufacturing date)? I think that gives you an indication that they want these particular players for a reason. A cursory check seems to indicate they are all based on the late VAM12XX drives from Philips.

The streamer market has been shaken up by Eversolo and Wiim recently and the Naim offerings may well be not selling well,
Naim have priced themself out of the market.
6K for a streamer which perform best with a dedicated PSU at extra $$$.
Its for wealthy customers only, and these might as well jump to new NC range.

Seems a shame Nam are doing sim now to (harvest VAM1250 laser mechs, to my eye). What a total waste. havent 'they' worked-out you can use the available VAM 1204 laser in the 1205 hall-motor mech (because the disc motor never wears-out), as 'we here, pfm -diy tested, made work >15yrs ago: it's a drop-in!

Is there also a compatible laser for the 1250?

Perhaps it's also to move some streamers but if that's the only objective, why specify only certain models of CD players and not all (or those after a certain manufacturing date)? I think that gives you an indication that they want these particular players for a reason. A cursory check seems to indicate they are all based on the late VAM12XX drives from Philips.

vasiltech.narod.ru lists 1201, 1202, 1205 and 1250 for those players. The CD3.5 and CDS2 use the 1205 according to vasiltech but are not included in the Naim offer: doesn't make sense to me because the olive CDX is included...

Naim have priced themself out of the market.
6K for a streamer which perform best with a dedicated PSU at extra $$$.
Its for wealthy customers only, and these might as well jump to new NC range.
I think you're right. In my opinion there's nothing wrong with a Naim streamer apart from the pricing.

advertisement

Back