advertisement

Naim - a couple of quick questions

rbrown

I think therefore I think I am
Hello fishies,

I have a Naim 52, SuperCap and 250 (all olive) which I intend to move on in the next week or two.

Was the burndy lead supplied with the 52 or the Supercap - I honestly can't remember?

Also the 52/Scap were last serviced by Naim in 2004 and the 52 had the pots 8 update at the time. The 250 was serviced late 2005 again by Naim. Is it worth getting this lot serviced again before I move it on , i.e. am I likely to recoup the service costs in the selling price?

I have to say it all sounds fantastic as it is.

What do you think?

Rich

No it doesn't. It all sounds very, very good indeed. I had the 250 done when it popped a cap somewhere in the right channel and started distorting, but Naim fixed it and it has been fine ever since.

You'll never get the (enormous) service costs back. Probably won't make any difference at all to the selling price. A buyer wants to first "possess" it, then after a few years they may feel like having it serviced themselves.

Ok thanks again - this is pretty much what I suspected. Thanks all for the advice - I'll take some pics and pop them up in the classified section soon.

Rich

They just don't need servicing yet. Check out class A's web-site.(and Darren makes his living servicing things)

Wouldn't bother with servicing again, the services were recent enough to justify a little more on the asking prices IMO

Well none of my equipment is unserviced, none is due for a service and Naim reliability is excellent anyway. I think I have my answer.

Rich

Indeed I do - thanks all. If I had any preconceived ideas about the best course of action, I wouldn't have bothered starting the thread. Anyway having looked into it a little further, servicing all three items would cost the best part of £800 and would be unnecessary anyway. So yes - I have the answer I was looking for.

Rich

Indeed I do - thanks all. If I had any preconceived ideas about the best course of action, I wouldn't have bothered starting the thread. Anyway having looked into it a little further, servicing all three items would cost the best part of £800 and would be unnecessary anyway. So yes - I have the answer I was looking for.

Rich

Well, if you had an open mind I doubt it would be made up after a handful of replies... Serviced Naim kit always goes for top dollar.

I do have an open mind and that's why I asked for advice. If you remember my question was whether I was likely to recoup the servicing costs in the asking price. The consensus of opinion seems to be no.

I think the OP is instinctively thinking along sensible lines. You would never re-coup the cost, especially in this market. It's likely that for every buyer who wants only serviced kit, there will be more who are looking for a bargain. They can factor in the cost and/or reassurance of servicing for themselves.

advertisement

Back