advertisement

Naim 500DR fuse

Had demo’s of the new 200 and 300 series, they were powered off/on a few times and no fuses blew :) Defo a different direction, more of a mainstream sound.

Ah use slow blow fuses as well. Advice in my manual is tae contact yer dealer if any fuse blows 2 times or more and get the dealer tae examine the amp.😎👍

My first CDX2 blew a fuse half the times I switched it on from cold.
If you were running the CDX2 off an XPS2 this would happen more frequently than with other of Naim's mains-powered boxes. The XPS2 was a little marginal with regard to inrush current but the specific Littel Fuse model seemed more robust than most.

Owners were also likely to have bad luck with a random (but correctly rated) shop bought fuse.

I've owned some of my current olive kit for 30 years, and most of it at least 20 years. Had various other bits in and out over that time.

I'm still waiting for my first blown mains fuse!

There are currently 7 fuses just waiting to pop.

What am I doing wrong?

I did have a few XPS2 fuses blow and coming back from holiday had a 300 blow.

The advice was when switching it on to give the button a good forceful push, don’t do it gingerly and thankfully haven’t had a blow since following this advice with the 300.

.sjb

As Paul Hindle notes, slow-blow fuses can sometimes just blow for no real reason after some time. I used to run my 500DRs at quite high volumes but never had a fuse go, so if this continues, best to have the amp checked out.

I think the only fuse I had blow in 25+ years of Naim was in my 250 when I was 'following' (experimenting) sth advised by the notorious Peter Belt. I didn't change the fuse because the 250 reincarnated within a day at most. Presumably not a blown fuse so must've been a relay or sth, I guess.

I did say almost full volume , not full. The amp should hande it espcially if you fed it low db from the dac.
what I meant by better fuse, Ridiculously expensive, is as some suggest it will enhance the the music quality.
I did pinch one from my 300dr . I was not sure if both use the same fuse but will do for now.
Best thing is to leave Naim equipment on all the time as recommended by Naim.

If not, make sure you switch on in the correct sequence as in the manual, plus, put the volume to zero before you switch on.

DG…

Are blown fuses a UK mains thing, or a Naim thing? As a reminder, I'm in Australia. I have solar panels, and this year, during the colder months from May up to about September, when the sunlight is at a minimum, I was switching off my HiFi at night, so I could save 1kWH+ of energy each day. 300PS (for 300DR), Supercap DR and XPSDR (hooked to CDX2). No blown fuses so far. Now that days have become sunnier, and recently having got a battery, I'm leaving it on all the time.

Am I doomed to blow all my fuses?

I was switching off my HiFi at night, so I could save 1kWH+ of energy each day.
Gosh, but that seems a bit high. I also used to keep my multi-piece Naim kit on 24/7 without regard to consumption but that was well before the energy crisis/hikes. My friend still does (552/500, NDS etc.) and after transferring his contract to Octopus and getting the ongoing nitty-gritty on daily consumption, he finds that electricity is 3X his gas usage (and we're in winter conditions here). He thinks it might be a v. small freezer atop his fridge-freezer but I do wonder what his Naim 24/7 usage really amounts to. He's going to embark on a process of elimination to find out.

If something has to be left on and can't handle being turned on a few times a week. I'd say it's a design fault or something.
This is the old and well thrashed out controversy. Keep the cap's etc. warm and extend their longevity and get instant Karma or switch off. My old Sony receiver in the kitchen from the 80s is switched on for short periods and hasn't missed a beat; hardly an esoteric piece of kit either.

Naim may have recommended 24/7 because of increased servicing strategy (if one is cynical). Who knows, but to my mind, this on/off stuff only related to Naim, which has its own (deliberate?) mystique, along with Linn of old. Now, if you have valves or class A stuff, choice really doesn't come into it.

Yeah, valves and class A here, and surprisingly it's never blown up on power on from cold.
I couldn't leave my kit on regardless of what the manufacturer says - because it's probably nonsense and it's only a stereo at the end of the day.

If something kept blowing fuses it'd be out of the house and the brand never looked at again.

I've had a few Naim boxes mixed into at least one system for 3 decades, although not at 500 level. I have never had a fuse go, so I struggle to see it as a brand issue.

I've had a few Naim boxes mixed into at least one system for 3 decades, although not at 500 level. I have never had a fuse go, so I struggle to see it as a brand issue.
It’s defo a thing just do a Google or search the Naim Forum

I just Googled the same for luxman then Conrad Johnson. Both had big lists of people with fuse issues. I think Google search is too big for working out that type of statistic.

Gosh, but that seems a bit high.
Depending on the viewpoint, it isn't necessarily that bad. I have 4 power supplies - and if anyone wants to poke fun at me for this, feel free. I agree, it's ridiculous, but I've the space for it here. Each power supply is about 25W/hour if kept on. 2 of them are for sources. Any normal sane person (I'm obviously insane) probably only has one source, so that would easily knock off 25W/hour. This means it's about 100W/hour kept switched on, so 2.4kWH a day. When actually playing something, it doesn't necessarily consume much. I don't think it really goes above 200W/hour when playing. So if I play some stuff during the day, I might be roughly consuming 3kWH.

My general aim is to keep my energy usage within the solar power I generate. Obviously, it's a bit harder during winter, but outside of that, 3kWH is easily accounted for. Depending on the time when I switch on/off, it could save 1 to 1.5 kWH, and that makes a difference when it's a wintry cloudy day.

Hicap is less consumption. On paper it says 5W and having had it and monitored my energy usage, I believe it. Someone with Hicap / poweramp like 250 / one Naim source is probably under 60W/hour, quite a bit less than my silly number of power supplies.

Is this ridiculously bad and high? A lot of other brands have similar or even higher background power consumption. The Diablo 300 is 200W/hour! Obviously, if they can be switched off, you only consume power when you use it, but even if you switch it off, you might leave it on for say 10 hours, play it only 3 hours during this, and overall, that's a heap of power consumption for that day. If you have a Class A system, while it is on, the consumption might be quite a few hundreds watts/hour.

advertisement

Back