advertisement

NAC 82?

Seanf

pfm Member
Although I'm very happy with my current system, I often wonder what a NAC 82 might bring. What I have at the moment is:

NAC 102
HiCap (with Avondale TPR4)
NAP 180 (with Avondale NCC220 boards)
Witch Hat Phantom
Allaes

Source is almost exclusively RPi through a DACMagic 100, though I also have a CDX and Rega Planar 3, which are not much more than ornaments these days.

Would the 82 be a worthwhile upgrade from the 102 in this set up?

I had one with my 180. Nice solidly built pre with its own Napsc unit. It was an upgrade from the 92 and was worthwhile.

82 is a huge step up over a 102. In the right context the 102 does have that incredible resolution but can be uncouth and shouty.

82 is a classy performer, the down side is its like of many power supplies.

Can't speak to your Avondaled kit but a stock 180 is a great amp.

Get a Supercap, but also the Witch Hat Superlink upgrade on the 82 which will let it use far more of the Supercap than Naim do.

Although I'm very happy with my current system, I often wonder what a NAC 82 might bring. What I have at the moment is:

NAC 102
HiCap (with Avondale TPR4)
NAP 180 (with Avondale NCC220 boards)
Witch Hat Phantom
Allaes

Source is almost exclusively RPi through a DACMagic 100, though I also have a CDX and Rega Planar 3, which are not much more than ornaments these days.

Would the 82 be a worthwhile upgrade from the 102 in this set up?
Items no. 2, 3 and 4 on your list are outstanding products, way better than original Naim gears.
Item 1 is really not up to the rest of your equipment so the 82 will be a major improvement.
Even as per today’s standards, this kit will be very difficult to beat.

82 is a huge step up over a 102. In the right context the 102 does have that incredible resolution but can be uncouth and shouty.

Having both a 102 and an 82, I am in full agreement with Gaius’s analysis.

Last edited:
Maybe consider selling the 102, buy a 72 and install a set of Avondale 821A boards.
Maybe also consider installing a set of Avondale HCR boards in the 180 alongside the Qudos you already have. I have the same set up amp wise, the only difference is I have the Avondale TPX1.5 powering my 72. This set easily beats a 282 / HiCapDR / 300.

A different angle but one that i have experienced when changing between the two (102/82) The improvement from 102 to 82 is subtle enjoyable and multifaceted, the move from 82 to 102 is like going from colour to black and white, i just seem to notice the downgrade more. The 102 is just not enjoyable after living with 82.

Maybe consider selling the 102, buy a 72 and install a set of Avondale 821A boards.
Maybe also consider installing a set of Avondale HCR boards in the 180 alongside the Qudos you already have. I have the same set up amp wise, the only difference is I have the Avondale TPX1.5 powering my 72. This set easily beats a 282 / HiCapDR / 300.
A 72 with after market boards is according to me the best sound quality/price ratio in the whole range of the Naim stuff. I'm not convinced an 82 is much better in its stock form despite being more costly.

You may well be right. However one can pick up a s/h 82 for around a grand, which is probably not too far removed from a s/h 72 with a full set of say, (new) Kit Ryan’s boards.

It would be an interesting exercise to spend the kids’ inheritance and grab a 72 from fleabay……….

A different angle but one that i have experienced when changing between the two (102/82) The improvement from 102 to 82 is subtle enjoyable and multifaceted, the move from 82 to 102 is like going from colour to black and white, i just seem to notice the downgrade more. The 102 is just not enjoyable after living with 82.

Interesting analysis. I felt something similar with a NAPSC on the 102 - didn’t really notice its addition, but certainly noticed when I subsequently borrowed it to power a newly acquired Headline.

One day I’ll send the 82 to WH for their Superlink mod, and the 102 will go back into the system during the interim.

Yes very close price wise.
I suppose it comes to box size and count. 82 does like more than one power supply.
72/32.5 with RSL though small form boxes and less of them.
I may have this wrong but one of the benefits of multiple supply is multiple sets of regulation, where as RSL the boards all have pretty good regs built in?

No question the 82 is a better pre than 102.
Yes very close price wise.
I suppose it comes to box size and count. 82 does like more than one power supply.
I had two Hicaps and the mandatory NAPSC powering the 82 I had yonks ago. That's three AC cables just for the preamplifier!

A far more elegant, and even better sounding solution is 52/Supercap.

Indeed it is but hurts the wallet big time.
This time around made myself a promise no item into 4 figures( not on intial purchase at least) strictly bargain basement or slowly upgrade. 52 SC just not viable given current situation

I’m firmly in the Avondale camp, had A102 and NCC based amps for years culminating with Grad1/Voyagers. Along the way 12&72’s with 821’s, and a straight Pots8 82 powered by 2 TPX2’s.

My view was 12 and 82 very similar. Great information retrieval but image was flat. They’re also exciting/full fat PRAT which was too much for me and became tiresome after couple of hours. YMMV

Indeed it is but hurts the wallet big time.
This time around made myself a promise no item into 4 figures( not on intial purchase at least) strictly bargain basement or slowly upgrade. 52 SC just not viable given current situation
Supercap first, then 52 when funds permit?

Nah went back the way got a 102 and a work in progress is 32.5.
Array of power supplies but mostly Avondale.
Power amps all Avondale based now.
Currently enjoying the simplicity of a nait XS seriously making me question do I really need more

advertisement

Back