advertisement

NAC 82?

The 82 and DTC arrived today today and needless to say, I got it hooked up straight away. All I can say is WOW. This totally thrashes the 102, and I was so happy with that before! Not so much a veil being lifted, more a door being opened. Very happy :)
This sort of experience is what makes this hobby so interesting. Eventually I found that removing my pre-amp unexpectedly gave me a slap-in-the-face improvement - and for free! I had previously had a NAC82 with first one then two HiCaps and eventually a SuperCap. This was then bettered by another pre-amp and finally the best of all was with no pre-amp!

Cheers,

DV

if a 102 took 2 hicaps I would be trying dual TPX 1.5s, and no doubt be keeping it, shame they hobbled it when it clearly has huge potential if only i had the skills and money to unlock it

I have a feeling that Witch Hat have been looking at modifying the 102 to take more power rails, but it involves cutting tracks & so forth.

This sort of experience is what makes this hobby so interesting. Eventually I found that removing my pre-amp unexpectedly gave me a slap-in-the-face improvement - and for free! I had previously had a NAC82 with first one then two HiCaps and eventually a SuperCap. This was then bettered by another pre-amp and finally the best of all was with no pre-amp!

Cheers,

DV
Did something similar here : now for two months, listening to a refurbished 1991 Classe Audio CP35 feeding my NAP 110. Kept all the punch, snap and groove of the 110 but now with a sweet liquid midrange and a perfect treble, at least for cymbals. Really can’t ask for more !

I have a feeling that Witch Hat have been looking at modifying the 102 to take more power rails, but it involves cutting tracks & so forth.
WH Have Superlinked the 102 and by lifting resistors it can be done non-destructively.

yes but requires a supercap then about 3 times the value of a 102, plus the cost to get the mods done makes it cheaper to go to an 82 with dual hicaps or whatever flavour power supply you prefer.

or go 32.5/72 with RSL and be happy haha

yes but requires a supercap then about 3 times the value of a 102……

Or perhaps merely a second Hicap?

I bought a SCap for my 102. SQ wise, replacing an HC with an SC on a 102 made b* all difference, but (a) I needed its Hicap for another unit, and (b) at that particular time I had aspirations for a 52. Well, the price of 52s went stratospheric so I compromised on an 82, which does at least use four rails.

The superlink needs a supercap does it not if I could get my 102 to take 2 hicaps and 821 boards or NJ boards I would keep it as it would be pretty damn good alas no one seems to do that

The superlink needs a supercap does it not if I could get my 102 to take 2 hicaps and 821 boards or NJ boards I would keep it as it would be pretty damn good alas no one seems to do that

Dunno; Mark from WH would be the expert, but my understanding, at least for the 82 Superlink mod, is that you can utilise the full gamut of PS options. WRT 821 or NJ boards, the only pluggable boards in a 102 (and indeed the 82) are the phono stages.

Reading the Teddy Pardo link, it seems that they disconnect the Tape Out Buffer circuits, which implies that I could not use it to drive my Headline - if so, then it would be a total non-starter for me!

very interesting indeed but makes me wonder what would be better a 72/32.5 with RSL or a 102 with 2 hicaps?

looks a cheap mod if you have the bits tho.

now if my electrical knowledge was good enough could I potentially change components to match the 821 or MJ boards?

advertisement

Back