advertisement

mysqueezebox.com will close in February

In the end of January the pink ties from the bean counting department announce that it will be shut down wothin a month. Typical corporate muppets.
It seems smart guys already have smth cooking...

Fortunately I don't do any streaming with my LMS devices, although I realize this could impact many people. Hopefully, those smart guys figure it out.

I am not really a LMS user but liked to know its there should I ever need it so this is a shame, whats to stop them handing over the server to someone that wants to take it on? Its dead in the water for me without it.

I have used LMS happily for years and never bothered with mysqueezebox. I think I signed up but then re-installed LMS and didn't log in again. What does it do? What am I missing?

It's essentially a conduit to some outside world streaming services - Deezer, Tidal, Napster, Tunein etc. Particularly Tidal (in my case and I suspect many others) may not work any more. But everything else should, so not end of the world....but I quite often (daily) listen to Tidal through the SBT.
Hopefully something can be sorted out.

I don't use any streaming services so not a big deal for me unless it affects internet radio. Even then I can live with it.
Hopefully this will be limited to MySqueezebox and won't somehow end up being the end of LMS and the open source community down the road.

To be clear, LMS unaffected? Asking as an Innuos user.
Yes. If you don't connect to MySqueezebox (or use the underlying features to make Tidal or Pandora work), then you can continue on as you did before. I expect there to be a new version of LMS (8.4) that completely removes the MySqueezebox functionality.

It's essentially a conduit to some outside world streaming services - Deezer, Tidal, Napster, Tunein etc. Particularly Tidal (in my case and I suspect many others) may not work any more. But everything else should, so not end of the world....but I quite often (daily) listen to Tidal through the SBT.
Hopefully something can be sorted out.
Ah, I stream Qobuz mostly, also Bandcamp and BBC Sounds plus my local files. So I guess I'm not affected. Would be terrible if LMS itself dies though.

They’ve worked on making the LMS server itself independent for a few years. It’s been planned for years. There were a few changes recently that gave clues that it was coming and Michael Herger(Logitech)has never made a secret of it. I just have LMS on a Pi with PiCoreplayer. Have for yonks. I don’t use the web server.

Not that I claim to know how the pink tie bean counters think, but Logitech have made some strange business decisions. Dump the Squeezebox streamers just before the market for such things exploded and now dump mysb.com when there are more streaming services than ever and Roon is becoming hot stuff. They probably know smth we don't or is it just chasing >20% ROI?

Not that I claim to know how the pink tie bean counters think, but Logitech have made some strange business decisions. Dump the Squeezebox streamers just before the market for such things exploded and now dump mysb.com when there are more streaming services than ever and Roon is becoming hot stuff. They probably know smth we don't or is it just chasing >20% ROI?
I think the hardware is now beginning to show its age and will begin to falter more over time. The Touch is a lovely thing and even now I have the same pride of ownership I had when I first welcomed one into my home. I’ll always be fond of it.

It is also important for people like me who have squeezebox radios.
The default method for picking up radio stations is through mysqeezebox.com

I used LMS for years but eventually gave up
However, in order to solve the well known BBC URL problem, I had to run LMS again on a computer.
My squeezebox radio has connected to LMS since last year instead of mysqueezebox.com so I believe I am not affected.

It is also important for people like me who have squeezebox radios.
The default method for picking up radio stations is through mysqeezebox.com

I used LMS for years but eventually gave up
However, in order to solve the well known BBC URL problem, I had to run LMS again on a computer.
My squeezebox radio has connected to LMS since last year instead of mysqueezebox.com so I believe I am not affected.
It's possible to add radio streams as direct links in Favourites, no need for any radio app or mysb

advertisement

Back