advertisement

mysqueezebox.com will close in February

Possibly some good news (call it a sticking plaster) for Tidal users.
I have a Chord Poly and control it using a free app on my phone called BubbleUPnP. This enables connection to my Tidal account and then I can cast/stream to the Poly (or the phone) or other UPnP renderers/players. Since December this supports Tidal Hi-res streams.

I also have several Squeezeboxes and run LMS on a home server. By installing the UPnP/DNLA Media Interface plugin in LMS (it's listed down at the bottom of the plugins list in the 3rd Party plugins), you can still play Hi-res Tidal through the Squeezebox, controlled using BubbleUPnP on the phone, by selecting the Squeezebox as a renderer/player in the BubbleUPnP app.

Seems to work fine, listening to Pulse (192/24) right now.

(This solution courtesy of the Logitech forums suggested by Paul Webster, and of course AndyG who greated the plugin).

:)
But there's no integration between like my Tidal albums and local albums

You can point BubbleUPnP to a locally stored music folder via LMS or another UPnP server (e.g. Plex) - same as you point LMS to it, and you can also stream radiostations (slightly convoluted, think you need to save the URL as a playlist IIRC - but I get Radio Paradise through it).

It's not the same as LMS Material Skin, but it does allow playing Hires Tidal to the SBT, until a better solution is (maybe) found.

In case it's interesting, from the first of the above links there's now an early version of a Tidal plugin for LMS. See here. And there is a Pandora plugin under development too.

From comments it seems to be functional enough already for the developer to ask people to provide feedback on function (but not yet on missing features). Of course, using it means running a local instance of LMS somewhere on a home network instead of using mysqueezebox.com so that may not suit everyone.

Well ok, good luck with that. The upside is I have no doubt a tonne of slim devices are about to hit the market

In case it's interesting, from the first of the above links there's now an early version of a Tidal plugin for LMS. See here. And there is a Pandora plugin under development too.

From comments it seems to be functional enough already for the developer to ask people to provide feedback on function (but not yet on missing features). Of course, using it means running a local instance of LMS somewhere on a home network instead of using mysqueezebox.com so that may not suit everyone.

Tidal working

ronnie

Tidal working ...
I think that's amazing progress in just over two weeks since the announcement that mysqueezebox.com service will be discontinued [1]. I also see that a beta version of a Pandora (premium service) plugin has just been made available for user testing.

The solutions today require some DIY skill. Soon I am sure they wlll get improved and packaged to hide as much "bare metal" as possible, but there will still be more self-assembly required than before. So I am sure they will not suit everyone. Nevertheless, it seems clear to me that the ecosystem's developer and user communities remain vibrant and very resilient indeed to have achieved so much in so short a time. For those for whom these solutions work it bodes well for another good lease of life.

[1] After being maintained by Logitech for an excellent 12 years (I think) since discontinuation of the products it supports.

I think that's amazing progress in just over two weeks since the announcement that mysqueezebox.com service will be discontinued [1]. I also see that a beta version of a Pandora (premium service) plugin has just been made available for user testing.

The solutions today require some DIY skill. Soon I am sure they wlll get improved and packaged to hide as much "bare metal" as possible, but there will still be more self-assembly required than before. So I am sure they will not suit everyone. Nevertheless, it seems clear to me that the ecosystem's developer and user communities remain vibrant and very resilient indeed to have achieved so much in so short a time. For those for whom these solutions work it bodes well for another good lease of life.

[1] After being maintained by Logitech for an excellent 12 years (I think) since discontinuation of the products it supports.

Dont use the radio functions that will go away but do use several streaming services.

The issue with the streaming services is not a technical one... its whether the streaming service will decide to allow an open source community supported entity to gain access to their systems (lookin at you Deezer and Apple).

Obviously Qobuz had no issue with this as they have had a LMS based plugin for many years and Tidal has also now decided that allowing a plugin based connection is worth their while.

I would imagine that over time the major radio stations will get plugins but some of the less used ones will bite the dust.

I am about to install LMS 8.4.1 on a test system and get Qobuz and the new Tidal plugin up and running.

Peter

The issue with the streaming services is not a technical one... its whether the streaming service will decide to allow an open source community supported entity to gain access to their systems (lookin at you Deezer and Apple).

Obviously Qobuz had no issue with this as they have had a LMS based plugin for many years and Tidal has also now decided that allowing a plugin based connection is worth their while.
Yes indeed, Application Programming Interfaces can be locked. That is a risk.

For streaming I use Qobuz via the LMS plugin and as a precaution against a commercial decision to lock the API I do set up an alternative streaming route from an official Qobuz app on an iPhone streaming via the Airplay plugin. I do the same with BBC Sounds.

If commercial restrictions do end up biting open source player implementations for the services I use I may end up buying something that is officially approved. But to me that's something to sort out if and when it happens.

Dont use the radio functions that will go away but do use several streaming services.

I would imagine that over time the major radio stations will get plugins but some of the less used ones will bite the dust.

I am about to install LMS 8.4.1 on a test system and get Qobuz and the new Tidal plugin up and running.

Peter

There is now a Tidal.local Plugin in 3rd Party Apps (appeared overnight :))

ronnie

advertisement

Back