advertisement

My best bet with SME 10 turntable: SME V or SME 312S?

EKHFH9V.jpg

Origin Live adapter board leaves 10 mm clearance for the OL arm to be fastened.

Two other adapter boards:

yJiL1Yj.jpg

rDNjuhY.png

Re. messages. I will clear some space.

A cardboard model is an excellent idea, Darren. Then a plastic board model. Then I have some bamboo wood that I could work on. Finally a cnc cut aluminum alloy plate.

SME uses aluminium alloy in approximately 12 mm thickness. I need a precision tool for measurements.

This is what the standard 9" armboard looks like. For a moment I worried that it had been drilled into, but I checked the SME 10 manual and it is 100% as it should be.

guO0BLO.jpg

EDIT - my enthusiasm blinded me quite a bit, I suppose:

Ok. Went with a Kuzma Stogi 9" [not the S-version, after all].

I know that Simon - who will be building my Paradise phono stage very soon - values his Stogi S 12" very highly. Although the Stogi 9" is not a unipivot after all - it was clear from the photos all the time - I decided to go ahead with the purchase.

If I can't find a way to mount it (fairly cheaply) using a Rega adapter board, I will buy an external armpod.

Last edited:
Ok. Went with a Kuzma Stogi S 9". I know that Simon - who will be building my Paradise phono stage very soon - values his Stogi S 12" very highly. I also know that I like unipivots and I found a Stogi S languishing in classifieds on wigwam but as it turns out, it was also listed here.

If I can't find a way to mount it (fairly cheaply) using a Rega adapter board, I will buy an external armpod.

Very nice, you'll be needing one of these:

http://www.kuzma.si/kuzma-sme-adaptor.html

Yes, that is the sensible solution.

Another approach would be to have an armpod made by Magna Audio. The prices are about the same and an armpod would make it possible to experiment with 10" and 12" tonearms.

I wrote the Italian maker of the flexible armboard shown in the previous post and I am waiting for them to get back to me. I wonder if the "extension" could be made exchangeable for use with different tonearms, like Kuzma (40mm/30mm + 3 hole mount), SME, Linn, Rega, Origin Live etc. etc.

To set the record straight about the tonearm that I will receive next week: it is the STOGI 3-ball-bearing tonearm (NOT the Stogi S unipivot).

The mounting info is here:
AUNmKd9.jpg

I just received a nicely made plywood armboard adapter for the Kuzma Stogi. See photos:
KlCqLZ4l.jpg

OPyFFGZl.jpg

The only challenge I have is how to adjust the height so the Kuzma Stogi arm can be mounted low enough. For that I may need to remove the black "collar".

I am now working on a solution to the height problem where I screw an adjustable shim to the underside of the SME armbase. It will work as a clamp. The Stogi tonearm can then be allowed to keep its black collar with height adjustment. The Tonearm will be held in place by one screw in the shim and by the pillar hole.
Edit: hmmm. Looks like the tonearm and pillar will be raised too high to go into the shim. I am getting closer to buying an external tonearm pod/stand like the one:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=333433157114

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I am now working on a solution to the height problem where I screw an adjustable shim to the underside of the SME armbase. It will work as a clamp. The Stogi tonearm can then be allowed to keep its black collar with height adjustment. The Tonearm will be held in place by one screw in the shim and by the pillar hole.
Edit: hmmm. Looks like the tonearm and pillar will be raised too high to go into the shim. I am getting closer to buying an external tonearm pod/stand like the one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tone-Arm-Base-for-EMT-Jelco-Ortofon-Ikeda-Fidelity-Research-Kuzma-Stax/333433157114?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Are you going to gain a jump in performance sounds like a lot of work.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The cost of that SME to Kuzma adapter is DKK 3.375 = £400 from my Danish dealer. Approximately 2/3 of what the arm cost me.

EDITED

DIY at 1/10 of the price above. It will allow me to begin using the tonearm. I will paint the wood clamp black, cut the big screw so it does not extend below the clamp, buy flathead M3 screws and enjoy. I can slide the tonearm back and forth a little which will help me adjust it.

Without the clamp I cannot mount the tonearm on the turntable.
jkgenetl.jpg

XePumrLl.jpg

I haven’t posted for several years, and no longer have a system, but for what it’s worth, the 12inch arm will sound smoother and more relaxed ,at the cost of a slight loss of dynamics. The issue with the SME 10 is mounting the longer arms. I far preferred the 12inch, but it’s just a matter of taste.

Thanks. I do remember your user name from the past.

What you write mirrors what I have read and seen posted about the differences between 9" and 12" tonearms. Eventually I will buy an external tonearm pod/stand with a view to see what a 12 inch tonearm is all about. Just not now. I've spent enough already.

haven’t posted for several years, and no longer have a system, but for what it’s worth, the 12inch arm will sound smoother and more relaxed ,at the cost of a slight loss of dynamics. The issue with the SME 10 is mounting the longer arms. I far preferred the 12inch, but it’s just a matter of taste.

I agree with you 100%, although I'm not sure if it's an actual loss of dynamics or the effect of 'rebalancing' the tonal presentation. Going from one to t'other, the lack of a more upfront presentation is audible, but having had lots of 9" arms, incl a Five a few years ago, I certainly wouldn't revert under any circumstances.

The other aspect, I've found. with 12" arms, is the tactility; the ease of lifting, cueing, lifting off etc. There's more wand to play with. Of course, the reduced tracing (tracking?) error simply obviates that end of side distortion, esp. on codas (loud endings..:))

Finally, 12" arms nearly always look the biz and seem more elegant in their functionality. They also increase the eff. mass a bit, which is helpful with most moving coils. I rest my case, m'lud.

advertisement

Back