advertisement

Musing about upgrades - Two sets of speakers (in the same room) ?

Sloop John B

And any old music will do…
Background: I’ve had my current speakers (Naim SL2 - with n-sat) since 2007 with the same amplification since 2009 (NAC552 -> NAP 300(now DR)). Only owned 3 previous speakers Revolver Purdy, B&W DM603 and Spendor S8e.

I am coming to the opinion that rather than replace my SL2s it might be an idea to have alternatives that have different characteristics rather than just try and replace them. I’m lucky enough to have a dedicated listening room in my house in an annex so not attached to our neighbours But do not have the room for a second system in another room.

Living in Dublin the opportunity to buy to try and sell on is virtually non-existent and post Brexit the ability to do this with the UK has disappeared too.

I did try a Harbeth SHl5 variant at home and whilst it certainly has its positives, plugging back in my SL2 was like putting back on a comfy pair of slippers. I listened to Magico and some B&W speakers at the dealer who let me try the Harbeth at home but neither would have had me jumping to upgrade.

Purely from perusing here and elsewhere I’m attracted to actives and have leered at Dutch and Dutch 8c, ATC and Sigberg. I could try and buy the Dutch or Sigberg and possibly get an ATC demo.

HOWEVER since my son has left his KEF LS50Wii when he went to Manchester the thought occurs to me that I have an active pair of speakers in the house that I can try just to see what actives might give but also what speakers not designed to go against a sold wall might bring to the mix.

So thanks for reading this far to my main question, mainly the pros and cons of having 2 sets of speakers in the same room. Is this a complete no-no (like where I read once that even a telephone speaker in the same room was detrimental) or is just another piece of furniture in the room?

The room:

Initially to try the KEFs, position A in front of or beside my current speakers would be the easiest to accommodate.

With a bit of interior furniture movement I could place them at B.

Budget - I have a retirement lump sum of up to €20k which I can spend.

Current system: NUC with Roon -> Auralic Aries G2 -> Hugo m-scaler/ TT2 into Naim amplification and speakers already mentioned.

.sjb

I've never bought the 'only one pair in the room' mantra. I think it was a throwback to the times when you could either listen at a dealer like Laskeys with a wall of speaker pairs and a switcher, or a 'proper' hifi shop with 'tune dems' and associated pomp. What can they really do, apart from maybe absorb some of the sound waves via driver movement? Essentially I think they must act as another piece of furniture. I can see how if the other speakers playing were positioned badly it could hurt stereo imaging etc. but whenever I've tried it, taking positioning into account, it's made at worst a very slight difference when the second set was positioned correctly with the others removed. In your case I'd try them alongside (or even on top of!) rather than in front, in case it screws with the bass response if they're rear ported. I'm very happy to be proven wrong, and there may be good reason not to, but to my less than golden ears it's not a huge issue.

Athough the question is not about dealers and I don't visit them much these days, this reminds me of when I bought my first real speakers in the early 90's. Doing A-B back and forth tests with a patient dealer carefully placing the speaker spikes of each pair to align with the pre-prepared/ matching set of screws in the floor for each set, and taking the last ones out of the room. I wonder how their backs are now.

I'm not so precious about it now, but also won't put my back through the paces to try and find out if it might be worth it.

Hi SJB,

As you know I use the SBL. An alternative pair of speakers that I loved with the 300dr were the Harbeth P3ESR.

Wrt active, I have enjoyed the Genelec, worth including in your audition list ...with the usual suspects: atc; kef etc

The thing I like about the bookshelf speakers is that they make use of the sub and I use them in my nearfield system.

Currently I have: Grahams LS3/5a; Sound Artist LS3/5a; and, Linn Kans.

I use valves in the nearfield too, so I can get a variety of flavours.

I have Genelec 8030s plonked on top of Zu Druids and alternate as the mood takes me fwiw. Life’s far too short to worry about whether one set is inaudibly affecting the other.

ATC actives are an easy choice probably, you cannot go too wrong with them. 20th series would be nice, anything above it also, there’re also active 19th towers. I also run a Naim system currently and thinking to build 2nd system in the same room but will go in a different direction in that case - full-range speakers and tube amp.

I agree. I do not think having a second pair of speakers in the room will make any difference, except perhaps as a minor source of reflections. I would keep the same listening position, if practical, unless you are thinking about rearranging the room anyway. It will be easier to pick out differences between the speakers if you are not also having to adjust to a different mix of acoustic effects.

I sell the KEF LS50 Wireless II and the Dutch & Dutch 8c. I have also had pretty much the entire ATC range here at one time or another. Listening to the LS50 Wireless II is not going to tell you too much about the other models, but it does provide some options for adjusting its output to suit different placement options and your taste. If you have a subwoofer then the LS50 Wireless II has some pretty good sub integration options too.

The LS50 Wireless II's built-in EQ options include a setting for placement close to the front wall. You cannot jam them up against the wall like an SL2, but you can get close.

The Dutch & Dutch 8c has similar but more advanced controls. They actually work best when placed close to the front wall. The recommended minimum distance is 10cm, but you can go closer if you want to. You measure the distance from the back of each speaker to the wall behind and enter those distances into an app. The speakers then adjust their output accordingly.

You could use the EQ options built into Roon or your Aries G2 to help move an ATC or other conventional active speaker closer to the wall. The Sigbergs seem to be using Hypex Fusion amp packs, which also have built-in EQ, but are perhaps not quite so easy to configure as the other options.

If you would like to have a listen to the 8c, I have a customer in Lisburn who might be willing to let you have a listen to his pair. Or I will be happy to arrange a demo for you here when you are next in Manchester to visit your son. I can provide you with a lift to or from the airport or train station, if that is helpful. If you decide that you want to buy a pair then getting them to Dublin and setting them up is easy.

A hard act to follow, those SL2s.

Discounting those in the TV, I've got fourteen speakers in my listening room, so that's me well jiggered... I never believed the silliness about having extra speakers in the room where you've the stereo. As others have posted, getting your test pair in the best position is much more important. Of course, what you really need is a pair of DBLs.

If there is room to place the additional speakers either in use or storage, to me there is no problem. Currently I have two pairs of speaker, one pair in use while the other pair is in another space. I occasionally swap the speakers with different amps too.

If I have the space, I would set up two separate systems and save the hassle of swapping the speakers (and amps) in the main system. To me, the speakers are the most important component in the system so try to listen to all available options that interest you. When you have found the right one, combined with the right amp it's like hitting the jackpot.

Given that literally everything in your room, walls, floor, pictures, window panes etc are going to vibrate to some extent due to being driven by the air pressure in the room, and that that vibration is not going to stop immediately that the air pressure is removed, thus causing some level of acoustic feedback in to the room. I think worrying about another pair of speaker drivers in the room at the same time is pointless.

Last edited:
I know I am going against the grain. Instead of having two sets of speakers in the same room, why not have just one super duper set.

Or am I just an innocent virgin walking through a complicated life that I do not comprehend?

Well, personally I think having two sets of speakers would be a distraction & largely pointless.

I went from 252/SC/250 SBLs to ATC CDA2 into active 40s. It’s just better & the speakers are the biggest upgrade I’ve ever done.

You could go for 50s or 100s & connect your Chord DAC direct to them. This would be a very cost effective upgrade IMV.

& ATCs are sealed box so can go close to wall.

I am not trying to replace them I want to have two sets of speakers available with different presentations as I feel that as good as the SL2 are, they are not perhaps optimal for some types of music.

,sjb
I often ran multiple main pairs and swapped back and forth, never bought into the single pair in a room.

Thought about panels, Maggies maybe, that’d be a different kettle of fish to your Naims.

Not up to Tony’s 14 speakers, I have 11 plus 2 subs in my listening room.

I realise I am not exactly answering your question, but you could try Kudos speakers (707 would be in budget) as a very synergistic replacement/upgrade with Naim amps for your SL2 - Kantata in Lisburn sells them and may let you borrow a demo pair? Listening Suite in Wicklow has ATCs, again a demo might be possible. Living in Dublin, I agree the options aren’t numerous, but I’d try all the local options across Ireland.

I know I am going against the grain. Instead of having two sets of speakers in the same room, why not have just one super duper set.

Well, personally I think having two sets of speakers would be a distraction & largely pointless.

I used to think that way as I will always return to a superior (usually costly) speaker in the main system as the other pair of inferior sounding speaker is usually left untouched for a long time. Nevertheless, after a while I realise that a perfect speaker does not exist. If you have two pairs of high quality or equally capable speaker, both will be equally enjoyable although there are distinct differences between the two. The issue of having two(or more) pairs of speaker is the hassle of swapping them in the main system especially with large heavy speakers. If it's bookshelf speakers which are easier to carry or handle, it may not be pointless for some people.

I went from 252/SC/250 SBLs to ATC CDA2 into active 40s. It’s just better & the speakers are the biggest upgrade I’ve ever done.

You could go for 50s or 100s & connect your Chord DAC direct to them. This would be a very cost effective upgrade IMV.

& ATCs are sealed box so can go close to wall.

I would not ever want two sets of speakers in the same room aside from a surround setup.

I do think there is merit to having more than one pair though as it just adds to the fun of the hobby. I’m not in the fit and forget camp. So as well my ATC SCM40A’s, I have Epos ES14’s and a SE230 based Avondale amp. Plus it means I can have a play with all manner of speakers that you can pick up used for a few hundred quid.

advertisement

Back