advertisement

Music royalties and Paul Gadd...

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
I wondered about this. Apparently a Gary Glitter track has been used on the OST for the Joker film so Paul Gadd will benefit financially. Should he or shouldn't he? That is the question.
I don't think the press have the right to make such moral judgments even though his crimes are heinous and he is in prison. We see many musicians complain that they don't get a just reward for music they wrote and is used somewhere or other. When they do get a reward we complain because we don't feel they are morally worthy. Come on, since when did most musicians occupy the moral high ground?

If he wrote it and owns the copyright he should be paid, that is the law. Any error of judgement here is down to the film producers choosing to use the track.

PS The Joker sounds like quite a dark and edgy film from what I’ve read!

I guess the moral/legal question would be: is this a profit from crime? I can't say as I know almost zip about the details. But in general, if you've done something like written a book on Pidgeon Racing, for example, you'd still be entitiled to any royalties on sales whilst in stir.

He's probably going to die in jail, do we know who the ultimate beneficiaries will be?

The film makers have chosen who to give their economic vote.

He's probably going to die in jail, do we know who the ultimate beneficiaries will be?
Maybe not. Sentenced to 16 years, if he's out after 8 he will be out in 2023 aged 79. I don't imagine that at that age and under licence he'll be able to spend it. He must have next of kin and probably a will.

I don't like "Anarchy in the UK" any less because the Sex Pistols were the protégé of a pop impresario and individually they were all pretty repugnant. It's still a great tune.

Maybe not. Sentenced to 16 years, if he's out after 8 he will be out in 2023 aged 79. I don't imagine that at that age and under licence he'll be able to spend it. He must have next of kin and probably a will.
Apparently, serious and sex offences don’t get the automatic 50% remission of sentence and must expect to serve no less than 2/3 of it, so more like 11 years not 8, but your point still stands.

Somewhat related there was what I thought was a very good article about the psychology of pedophilia in the NYT a week ago:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/29/us/pedophiles-online-sex-abuse.html?module=inline

I do feel that as a society we need to move beyond just labeling these people as monsters and treat it as a mental health disorder. If we can somewhat distigmatize the condition then perhaps more men would come forward for treatment before gratifying their desires. Please don't get me wrong - I'm not in any way attempting to lessen the terrible abuse children suffer, but it seems demonizing and incarcerating perpetrators is not working (just as it didn't work with drugs), and we need more intelligent approaches.

Key quote from the article IMO:

"“People don’t choose what arouses them — they discover it,” said Dr. Fred Berlin, director of the Johns Hopkins Sex and Gender Clinic. “No one grows up wanting to be a pedophile.”"

I do feel that as a society we need to move beyond just labeling these people as monsters and treat it as a mental health disorder...(snip)... and we need more intelligent approaches.
"
We do. Sex is a fundamental driver in human (mammalian) existence and it's not something that you turn on and off. I feel eternally grateful that my sexual interests are conventional and socially acceptable. Well, apart from the custard. And the spanking. But the spanking goes without saying, doesn't it?
>
>
>
Doesn't it?

The list of dodgy creatives is fairly long, for example Caravaggio was apparently a pretty Leary character and possibly committed murder but his work is still revered.

We do. Sex is a fundamental driver in human (mammalian) existence and it's not something that you turn on and off. I feel eternally grateful that my sexual interests are conventional and socially acceptable. Well, apart from the custard. And the spanking. But the spanking goes without saying, doesn't it?
>
>
>
Doesn't it?

It depends whether it’s before or after application of custard...

reading this tread, i have just gone onto YouTube, to see what all the fuss is about, and was surprised to see a shed load of glitters vid's on there, obviously don't know what their policy is, but as i stated surprised that they where on,

I think that if youtube removed videos featuring anyone that had ever committed a crime that it would end up fairly sparse.

Mike Leander's descendants will be profiting equally, and I'm not aware of any flies on him.

Indeed.

R&R Pt 2 is a great track. I remember it well as a kid. Shame the music got tainted, although I am able to disassociate the song from Gadd.

Stunning movie too.

BTW the character in the Joker is a victim of child abuse, so there may be some artistic 'irony' in playing a convicted abuse criminals song in the movie- which accompanies the scene of his descent into insanity (hell)

I sort records for a charity.

I take great pleasure in smashing any glitter records that pass through my hands. F*ck him.

Same with Rolf

advertisement

Back