advertisement

Music in restaurants

Music in restaurantd

• Total voters

gintonic

50 shades of grey pussy cats
Well then who likes music in a restaurant - (all eateries where you can eat in)....
and if you do what music do you like

Contextual music at a nice level helps to set the ambience of the meal and is something I am very partial to. However, if it gets too loud or noisy as a result of the music level it can be mildly annoying, but we can't all like the same thing.

Well then who likes music in a restaurant - (all eateries where you can eat in)....
and if you do what music do you like

Maison Bertaux on Greek Street used to be run by a guy from Alsace (I think) who would not infrequently play his accordion. I loved it - the perfect accompaniment for a lunch of Dijon tart and an almond slice (not Mr Kipling)

Heston Blumenthal used to serve some dishes with a little mp3 player and earphones so you would hear things as you were eating - the sea for example, as you were eating oysters. That was cool in a way.

When I lived in Oxford there was a magnificent place on either Cowley Road or Iffley Road near The Plain - a West Indian grocers with a restaurant in the back, and fabulous West Indian music playing constantly. Unforgettable place.

Generally I like music in the gents of restaurants.

Last week we entertained some friends to an Akhtar web ordered curry. Comes in a box with about 8 dishes frozen and then you heat it up. Much better quality than the average takeaway. I wanted to set the authentic restaurant ambience so went on the world radio option from LMS and found a suitable Indian station. Added to the curry night ambience.

Need more than one vote here. Sometimes Yes, sometimes No, but always Context Sensitive when Yes.

Piped-in music in most restaurants often sounds like someone has jacked up the tone controls. Either both treble and bass all the way up, or sometimes treble all the way up and bass all the way down. Either way there are no mids, just a hashy one-note treble sizzle, sometimes accompanied by a one-note-bass boom. Combined with the usual "warehouse chic" decor of metal ceiling, masonry walls and concrete floors, and the aural soundscape should qualify as a form of assault. There's one Indian restaurant here with midrange, and amazingly the music seems both more intelligible and less intrusive.

We used to frequent a sports bar where, if there were no games on (which is when we'd go) they'd play old MTV and VH1 videos. That was fun - a journey down memory lane.

Pet hate is loud music - too loud to comfortably talk over - in a restaurant.

I’m broadly in favour, but at unobtrusive background levels. I dislike bars where you have to raise your voice to be heard over the general din, which is mostly there because of people speaking loudly over the loud background music.
Can we call it acoustic escalation?

Dislike loud music in restaurants. I’m there to chat and eat not listen to someone else’s music choices…

LOVE music in restaurant bathrooms and foyers to set the ambience.

But once I’m sat down, STFU.

great to have music playing as long as not glaringly loud, and even better if suitable related to the cuisine and good way to discover unheard of world music.

advertisement

Back