advertisement

Music documentaries on Netflix, Prime etc.

Seanm

pfm Member
Any recommendations? It’s hard to browse for these things on both Netflix and Prime, you kind of have to know what you’re looking for.

On Prime the ‘customers also watched’ links at the bottom are very useful at digging stuff up, e.g. first find something good like The Residents Theory Of Obscurity, then have a look at what folk who watched that watched, then if anything in that list appeals see what people who watched that watched and so on recursively. There’s a fair amount of good stuff in all genres if you dig deep enough.

There is a biopic about the CBGB music venue in NYC

Netflix I think, but could be Amazon. Saw it in the last 2 months.

Not exactly a documentary, but 'Ray' about Ray Charles (Jamie Foxx from memory) is well worth it.

Thanks for the Ole Ole Ole tip - I'll watch that.
Finding that brought up
  • Lemmy biopic
  • Oasis
  • Taylor Swift
  • Who shot the sherrif - Bob Marley documentary
I'll give them a go and see if they pass the sleep test!

Lee Morgan - I Called Him Morgan
Bob Marley - Who Shot The Sheriff

Both Netflix, not watched either yet but both bookmarked

We had a go with the Beefheart one last night (Prime). Couldn’t get through it. The Coltrane one is good.

I enjoyed Lo Sound Desert on Prime, 808 is another good one, Jaco was OK and I have the Stiff Records one still to watch.

The Sound Of Belgium, a documentary covering the Belgian dance scene - from Schlager and organ cafes, through the Popcorn scene (their equivalent of the Northern Soul scene), to New Beat, and onto techno. Well worth a watch.

...Not exactly a documentary, but 'Ray' about Ray Charles (Jamie Foxx from memory) is well worth it.
I started watching this about 6 months ago. Can't remember why I didn't make it all the way through... I must give it another go (and be reminded why I stopped watching the first time perhaps?)

advertisement

Back