advertisement

Music Books

Book and CDs. Fascinating.

neil.jpg

Stephen
I seldom read nowadays but tempted by this. I love HOTS, KOR & enjoyed seeing him at the old Roundhouse. Sad he passed so young.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’ve greatly enjoyed Abbey Road - David Hepworth. He always writes so well & teases out the most interesting of details.

This is brilliant. Wonderful photos and some exotic equipment in here, especially US stuff I've never heard of or heard!

9780714878089.webp

The turntable book is also a great read/look.

9781838665616.webp

British Jazz On Record 1965 to 1970.

Postage free if ordered from Presto Jazz.

This is brilliant. Wonderful photos and some exotic equipment in here, especially US stuff I've never heard of or heard!

9780714878089.webp

The turntable book is also a great read/look.

9781838665616.webp
I have just finished the former. I enjoyed it but that enjoyment was dimmed a tad by the subsequent knowledge that the majority of fairly obscure manufacturers who take up space near the end of the book are in fact sold in the shop owned by the author. Talking to friends with much more knowledge than I also opened my eyes to the fact it really ps a very partial and subjective perspective with many key players notably wholly absent. I still enjoyed but it’s a long long way from comprehensive or definitive.

I've only ever bought two music books (the written word) not sheet music, of which I've a lot).

"The Devil's Horn," Michael Segall's colourful history of the saxophone. (I play a tenor..badly). Well worth a read.
If I ever only bought one other, as is the case, it had to be, "Miles," the autobiography.

My field before I retired was performance and career psychology for musicians. I probably saw over 3,000 in 30 years of practice. My first book back in 1994 was "Secrets of Musical Confidence", HarperCollins. My 5th and latest was "Secrets of Performing Confidence 2nd Ed."

For those interested in the psychology of musicians I would also recommend these, both by working musicians and both excellent:
- The Inner Game of Music (Barry Green)
- Effortless Mastery (Kenny Werner)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm just about to start on Richard Norris' autobiography, Strange Things Are Happening Here which, from a quick skim, and 'im indoors frequent laughter is going to be an entertaining read.

eta, there's also a record store edition that comes with a CD of his remixes and collaborations. I had most of them, but some crackers on there I didn't.

advertisement

Back