advertisement

Mundorf Mlytic & BHC Kemet

Chris88

pfm Member
Has anyone tried Mundorf Myltic or Kemet PSU caps?

Would really appreciate some feedback, thankyou : )

I've used the Mundorfs when I recapped my power amp and I thought they were excellent. The amp definitely sounded much better after the recap but of course that could simply be down to fitting new rather than boutique caps. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use them again, so it's a 'thumbs up' from me.

I've also used BHC in a pre amp and been totally satisfied with them.

It's worth looking at the F&T range too, I understand that they actually manufacture the Mundorf caps you're looking at.

I guess its better you ask this in the DIY section.

Anyway, I used Mundorfs in recapping all my Linn LK280s. They certainly feel top quality in the hand. Couldn't tell you if they sound better, but certainly no worse than the old BHCs. Got mine from HiFi Collective. I aslo rate ELNA.

Thanks for the feedback chaps much appreciated.

I'm fairly new here and didn't realise there is DIY section, is it possible for me to move this thread over to DIY?

Used the mundorfs they are very good but shop around some sellers are overpriced got mine for Lithuania.

I used a a Mundorf to replace a still fairly new Panasonic cap in a DAC. It was a surprisingly large upgrade in clarity and bass depth.

Thanks guys, did you use Mlytic specifically? How would you describe the sound of the Mundorf?

Any comparisons with BHC?

Yes Mlytic, they replaced used bits so hard to say as they were better in every way,never compared new parts of different make.Mind Mundorf do make nice caps though my speakers are full of supremes and they have a good reputation.

I guess its better you ask this in the DIY section.

Anyway, I used Mundorfs in recapping all my Linn LK280s. They certainly feel top quality in the hand. Couldn't tell you if they sound better, but certainly no worse than the old BHCs. Got mine from HiFi Collective. I aslo rate ELNA.
Hi Timola. I also plan to recap my Linn LK280. Can you help me out with this one?

I noticed that Mundorf capacitors are smaller than the original BH. The original are 4cm wide, and the capacitors from Mundorf are about 3cm wide, for the same 10000uF capacity.
How did you fill that gap in metal holders where the capacitor are?

Did you also recap smaller elecrolytic capacitors?
Is there anything else that I should replace? Other non elecrolytic capacitors?

Cheers,
Nole

I’m in the middle of a similar change for one of my pairs of M30s, in this case 6800uF BHC for Mundorf. The replacements are 1cm smaller diameter so I’m going to put a piece of Neoprene foam gasket around the cap so it sits tight in the holder. I’m not expecting any issues with overheating.

The foam was from a supplier on the auction site, couple of quid.

I’m in the middle of a similar change for one of my pairs of M30s, in this case 6800uF BHC for Mundorf. The replacements are 1cm smaller diameter so I’m going to put a piece of Neoprene foam gasket around the cap so it sits tight in the holder. I’m not expecting any issues with overheating.

The foam was from a supplier on the auction site, couple of quid.

Shouldn't you be out sanitising telephones?:D

Been using both brands on various amps and integrated.
With some of them the Mundorf gave more punch or energy but it was rather subtle, especially on Exposure amps and preamps where the sound was the same no matter the brand.
The Mundorf tend to last longer though so if you want to go for the long term, it’s worth the extra cash IMO.

To all the gap-fillers out there - I would do the job properly and get some smaller capacitor holders, they're cheap enough and it's easy to drill another hole or two for mounting them.

To all the gap-fillers out there - I would do the job properly and get some smaller capacitor holders, they're cheap enough and it's easy to drill another hole or two for mounting them.
Drill extra holes!? Smaller clamps with slotted Bases, that's what's needed..

To the OP. What exactly are you going to use these caps for?

In some power supplies/ amps spending more might make a difference, in some it will make no audible difference at all.

Esr and max ripple current are (mostly) what you need to pay attention to.

Drill extra holes!? Smaller clamps with slotted Bases, that's what's needed..

You have 10mm of difference in cap diameter to consider, that is too much for slotted bases. Best is to do it properly and drill an extra 2 holes (or just 1 if you don't mind the cap being slightly off-centre)

advertisement

Back