advertisement

Multi-function 2017/2018 football thread Pt II

England (5-3-2):
Peter Shilton; Paul Parker, Terry Butcher, Mark Wright, Des Walker, Stuart Pearce; Chris Waddle, Paul Gascoigne, David Platt; Gary Lineker, Peter Beardsley.

Not bad...Not bad at all.

Pickford; Walker, Stones, Jones; Trippier, Henderson, Dier, Young; Sterling, Lingard; Kane.

Can't believe Jones might start...he's slow and error-strewn...I think Lascelles is a better defender who could mesh well with the more cultured Stones...who also has a mistake in him.

Shilton was passed his prime then I recall but he'd been a great servant

Germany seem to punch well above their weight come tournament time, it's a mental attitude as much as anything, success breeds success, failure is inherent.

Our glory day back in '66 was a different era, a different mental attitude, failure hadn't really kicked in yet, this began in '70, where the team was much stronger, we have not looked back, we were expected to win the '70 world cup, then brazil showed us how it's done.

Over the years we have had sufficient quality to reach many a world cup final, but fall at the final hurdle, when we need mental strength, it seems to be severely lacking.

Not so sure it's all mental... we've never been great at retaining possession whereas our best clubs do when they're successful

Shilton was passed his prime then I recall but he'd been a great servant
The deflection off Parker took an age to loop over his despairing hand...slooooooow back-peddling feet.
And similarly with Seaman against Brazil. These goalkeepers need to do some tap or contemporary dance lessons. Bring Michael Flatley in...

...we've never been great at retaining possession whereas our best clubs do when they're successful
Henderson and Dier in the midfield...yikes.
I know I'm biased but with players like Sterling, Kane and Lindgard likely on the pitch you'd think Shelvey would be worth a punt...he's always thinking of a (sometimes over ambitious) forward pass. Loftus-Cheek does look like a good option from the bench mind.

The bandwagon will find a way to blame Trump for England's Rexit.

Agree, thought Lascelles would make it. Elsewhere, who is playing the through balls for Vardy?

Nothing but avoiding Thursday night football next season. Wanna swap? :D

No. It's not like you're going to win The Champions League next season. I am quite happy if we take a year off to rebuild our team and get whoever the manager is in harmony with the players. We could also win The Europa League, which we did in 2013. The downside is we might not bring in as much money. There again you lot will probably be kicked out early from The Champions League.

Jack

You seem to ‘rebuild’ every other season. Must be a worry knowing that Abramovich is easing back on the investment though..?

Crossroads for Chelsea on the horizon- I remember my Tranmere Rovers spanking them in the Cups

You seem to ‘rebuild’ every other season. Must be a worry knowing that Abramovich is easing back on the investment though..?

Not really. He says he is going to continue investing in players and the management. With the Tories playing games with the Russians, what do you expect? Nobody in their right mind would invest one billion while they are being fkuced around by May and Johnson, who will be gone soon enough.

Rebuilding is fine as long as we keep winning trophies.

Jack

Last edited:
Apparently Luis Enrique or Laurent Blanc will manage Chelsea. The Metro reckon Enrique will join in the next couple of days. The former Barca manager is much more suitable than homophobe smoker Sarri. https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/02/chel...t-week-club-goes-cold-maurizio-sarri-7599237/

Courtois will go, otherwise he will be on a free transfer next year. Two possible replacements are Alisson from Roma or Stoke's Jack Butland.

Higuain has been offered in a swap for Morata. He is at the Chelsea transfer cut-off point of 30 years old, but has to be an improvement over mopey Morata.

It is cool to see Frank Lampard is going to sign John Terry for Derby County. It will be a laugh if they get the team into the Premier League.

I'm already looking forward to next season.

Jack

Last edited:
Chelsea's Gary Cahill has scored England's first goal with a powerful header.

He has shown the naff Spurs players in the squad how to play proper football.

Jack

advertisement

Back