advertisement

MR2 Spyder

Picked it up last week. It is rough. I told him I was pulling out so he said make him an offer. I said I didn't really want it, which was true. He pushed so I said 900 quid. He said ok.

It had been sitting under a tree for ten years. It's almost beyond return. But everything works apart from the ac and it got me from Leicester to hull.

It is underpowered, does not handle and looks terrible.

So I will see if the engine is still good. Would reddex help clean some gunk out? It's spluttering a bit, unsurprisingly.

I wouldn't bother, give it a detail and throw it on eBay.
i reddexed it and changed the plugs....big difference! i did a compression test and got between 195 and 205 on all cylinders. very happy.

the precat is all still there too so i will get a manifold next

Lovely.

Just make sure you UV treat the hood. Mine was fine for 16 years until it was parked in the sun all day for 3 more, then it started to fall apart.

Treat the front lights too as they don't like the sun either.

My new hood is a mohair—looks lovely though!

Stephen
what did you use on the vinyl hood and on the headlight covers? my hood looks a bit grey and tired and my light covers seem to be yellowing on the inside?

what did you use on the vinyl hood and on the headlight covers? my hood looks a bit grey and tired and my light covers seem to be yellowing on the inside?

As my post implied, I didn't use anything - hence my problems now!

Something like this should work for you. The mohair needs something different.

Stephen

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
i reddexed it and changed the plugs....big difference! i did a compression test and got between 195 and 205 on all cylinders. very happy.

the precat is all still there too so i will get a manifold next
Most cars will improve if they are just serviced and driven. I had a grotty Mondeo that had been abused as a shopping/kids/short trips car. It had no performance and ran badly. After a month of motorway trips at 70 it woke up and was transformed. I did another 60k trouble free miles in it.

Vinyl Back To Black will make your hood look better.

Most cars will improve if they are just serviced and driven. I had a grotty Mondeo that had been abused as a shopping/kids/short trips car. It had no performance and ran badly. After a month of motorway trips at 70 it woke up and was transformed. I did another 60k trouble free miles in it.

Vinyl Back To Black will make your hood look better.
It feels like that a bit for me. I'm wary of smashing it though, as it revs really high.

It feels like that a bit for me. I'm wary of smashing it though, as it revs really high.
I'm not suggesting that you cane the arse out of it, just drive it around and take it out of town for a few 30 minute plus trips, get it to 50 or 60 and tootle along. If the oil looks like tar then obviously change it, but that's unlikely with such a low mileage. You won't clear out the crud in a day but a few hundred miles with a nice hot engine over the course of a week or two just might burn the crud off.

i've spent some cash trying to sort the handling on this car, new tyres and wheel alignment. It still tends to chatter a lot on bumpy surfaces, particularly at the front and the steering wheel vibrates when really pushing on. More so than all my other small sports cars, Elan +2, MX5 mk1 BBR, Fiat X19, Spitfire even.

I'm keen to have a go in an immaculate one to see if it is my car that needs further sprucing up of rolling gear. But the more I read the more I see people requiring front strut bracing to sort it. Not sure I want to spend money on this kind of thing for a car that is supposed to have excellent handling as standard.

Engine is really lively and grip is great, but poise and composure when driving hard is disappointing so far.

advertisement

Back