advertisement

MR2 Spyder

Not just the 90's, and not just cars. The "Toyota Way" is still well used, and still gets good results in my industry (food). The only objection I have is the way that in the UK the Japanese terms are used as a jargon, as a means of demonstrating how clever you are. "Oh, we're going on a Genchi Gembutsu". A what? We're going to go and walk around that bit of the factory and have a good look at it. Oh, right. Listen. I'm not Japanese. Nor are you. This is not a Japanese company, we have no factories in Japan. Neither of us speaks Japanese. Nobody else here does. There is a perfectly adequate English phrase for "go and have a look", it is, funnily enough, "go and have a look". So if that's what we mean, let's call it "going to have a look" and not some Japanese words that nobody here understands.

As cutting 42 says, normally the BS terms and gobbledegook speak are imported by consultants . Drives me nuts. I call it out in meetings and ask them what they mean. Some of it creeps into everyday language and becomes accepted - I suppose that's how language changes and I'm probably guilty myself. Pet hates? 'Going forwards'. 'Impacted'. If we're going to do a, b and c, then we can hardly do it in the past, can we? So 'going forwards' is a useless term. Isn't an impact when two things collide? Like my fist into your stupid face?? The effect, (the word I think you're looking for) is a bruise and damaged ego. Along with my arrest...

Can we start a new thread on this? I do like an MR2 as well. Might even look for one on auto trader.

There is nothing wrong with the phrase "going forwards" used correctly, although there are usually better ways to say the same thing. It is often a tautology rather than anything worse.

Well, quite:

Reach-out.png

My current favourite is to "Lean in" meaning to embrace the task/challenge, best foot forward and shoulder to the wheel type stuff.

Here she is, booked in for a thousand quid repsray, the exterior shows a 20 year old car thast has never been garaged or cleaned properly, the interior shows a 2 year old car, supporting the 39,000 miles on the clock.

The hood also looks new as it spent most of its life with the hard top on, already sold separately, alas.

Lovely.

Just make sure you UV treat the hood. Mine was fine for 16 years until it was parked in the sun all day for 3 more, then it started to fall apart.

Treat the front lights too as they don't like the sun either.

My new hood is a mohair—looks lovely though!

Stephen

There is nothing wrong with the phrase "going forwards" used correctly, although there are usually better ways to say the same thing. It is often a tautology rather than anything worse.

If used by a driving instructor as part of a briefing on the mechanics of a three-point turn to a novice driver then perhaps. Elsewhere - I have grave doubts :)

My previous ride had Swedish-designed side-impact bars too.

OIP.HMbdxYmI6xXWuQLfOpoY_QHaDm

Stephen
I used to have one of those too. I bought it in 2000 for 1400 quid, sold it in 2002 for 1400 quid. It was much better than I was expecting. Amazing amounts of space, great handling, did 110mph, cruised motorways really smoothly, comfy, economical, never broke down and had no rust.

Lovely.

Just make sure you UV treat the hood. Mine was fine for 16 years until it was parked in the sun all day for 3 more, then it started to fall apart.

Treat the front lights too as they don't like the sun either.

My new hood is a mohair—looks lovely though!

Stephen

Yes also don't do what I did and put the hood down on a bright frosty day, it cracked the piping at the fold point! I think they have started to go up. Sold it last week for what I paid four years and 20000 miles ago. Mind you I have spent a grand on new lights and having the body tarted up.

If used by a driving instructor as part of a briefing on the mechanics of a three-point turn to a novice driver then perhaps. Elsewhere - I have grave doubts :)
I take it you are not familiar with metaphors.

The Viggen was fast enough without any tuning.

I always wanted one but they were as rare as rocking horse s**t so never found one that was unabused.

I nearly bought a 9-3 Viggen, I liked it but the torque steer had to be experienced to be believed. My wife hated it though - she wanted a Boxster, which I didn't think was practical enough so I got a Mercedes Coupe instead. I still slightly regret not getting the Viggen though!

My previous ride had Swedish-designed side-impact bars too.

OIP.HMbdxYmI6xXWuQLfOpoY_QHaDm

Stephen

My first X 1/9 was hit on the passenger side by a Buick that failed to stop for a red light. It's a good thing I didn't have a passenger that morning of they'd have suffered a broken pelvis or worse. But I was uninjured apart from a pinprick between my eyebrows from a piece of broken glass. Considering the 2:1 difference in mass between the two vehicles I thought the Fiat held up pretty well.

I've always liked the look of the X 1/9 and still do. We did eventually get a convertible although it's not quite as interesting. My wife loves it though - although it doesn't meet the requirements of the Edinburgh LEZ so it'll likely be replaced before that comes into effect:

168684627.M0ex0eyI.slk02.jpg

It's quite quick for a diesel.

advertisement

Back