advertisement

Mr Bates vs the Post Office

Signed. It seems to me that people at Fujitsu should also be investigated.

I watched part of episode one of the TV serial but couldn't continue as it was too upsetting and I don't need to be convinced.

As ever, the real villains will probably get off 'scot free'. (See Grenfell, 'RAC' Concrete, River pollution, etc., etc., etc...)

Just binge-watched this - I've been following it since it first surfaced in Private Eye.
A pretty good realisation - it did skip over the part that Computer Weekly and subsequently Private Eye played in first running with the story. Apart from that, beyond criticism and Toby Jones was excellent, as were others in the cast. Some areas very local to me starred too.
Mull, it got a slightly less harrowing watch as it progressed, although some very bleak moments. Edge of the seat, though.
And signed...

I've been watching this. It's excellent, absolutely riveting and disturbing, with a good cast.

Last night the ITV 10 O'clock News ran a piece on the upcoming real life High Court case and of course they took the opportunity to give the drama a significant plug too, and I was struck by how closely the main characters resembled their real life counterparts. At one point I was convinced that they'd got Nadhim Zahawi to play himself at the select committee hearings. He totally demolished the lady chair of the Post Office - not bad for a Tory.

Last edited:
Toby Jones is one of those actors with Jim Broadbent syndrome, i.e. you watch whatever he appears in as you’re guaranteed a brilliant performance. Also blown away by the outstanding performances of Monica Dolan and Julie Hesmondhalgh.

Truly harrowing and outrageous story arc. I was struck with the similarity between the reactions of Post Office bigwigs and the management of the NHS Trust that employed Lucy Letby- deflect, obfuscate, lie, ignore and generally cover their corporate arses despite knowing their actions had fatal consequences.

A brilliant piece of television, and one that will hopefully advance the cause of the sub- postmasters and deliver them the justice they deserve, even if it is twenty years overdue.

Nadim actually played himself. I would like to see prosecutions for those who perverted the cause of justice or conspired to do so. My dad was a post master owning a small newsagents. Fortunately he retired a few years before Horizon. Absolute scandal. I hope Vennells is no longer doing the god bit.

This has been a stain on our government for 20 years. How much taxpayer money has been wasted defending the indefensible? Again, procurement seems to be the problem, the Post Office bought a pup from Fujitsu and, rather than defend its loyal staff chose to join with the lies. I doubt any of those responsible will receive an appropriate punishment.

Nadim actually played himself. I would like to see prosecutions for those who perverted the cause of justice or conspired to do so. My dad was a post master owning a small newsagents. Fortunately he retired a few years before Horizon. Absolute scandal. I hope Vennells is no longer doing the god bit.
With apologies for the screen scrape, this gives some info on Venals.
I was hoping that the appearance of Zahawi was a "cut and paste" of the real court appearance and that the corrupt b@st@rd didn't get a penny piece for it. But, tory's gonna tory so no stoop is too low.

I am always concerned by these petition sites needing my email, why do they need my email, it does not prove my age or residency.

I was hoping that the appearance of Zahawi was a "cut and paste" of the real court appearance and that the corrupt b@st@rd didn't get a penny piece for it. But, tory's gonna tory so no stoop is too low.
To be fair to Zahawi, he did donate his appearance money to a charity apparently.

I think most folk who watched this series ended up being very angry and incredulous that such a thing could happen in the UK. It's the sheer callousness that got to me; destroying innocent people's lives to save their own horrid little necks. Bloody disgraceful.

I am always concerned by these petition sites needing my email, why do they need my email, it does not prove my age or residency.
They do use it to send mails asking for support for other petitions but you can always bin them/mark as spam

They do use it to send mails asking for support for other petitions but you can always bin them/mark as spam

Only if you check the box allowing them to. Otherwise it is just one confirmation email you need to click for your signature to be counted, i.e. some basic protection against bot abuse of the petition site. It isn’t bullet proof, I’m sure a lot of false attempts get through from folk using multiple emails etc, but I’m sure that is the intent of the email verification.

………………..

Truly harrowing and outrageous story arc. I was struck with the similarity between the reactions of Post Office bigwigs and the management of the NHS Trust that employed Lucy Letby- deflect, obfuscate, lie, ignore and generally cover their corporate arses despite knowing their actions had fatal consequences.

…………..
Vennells, on leaving the Post Office, got a £400,000 bonus and CBE for her outstanding contributions, then moved on to a top job in the NHS o_O

Its not just Vennells that needs locking up, she is the tip of the iceberg. Angela van den Bogerd is equally culpable along with all those at Fujitsu who knew what was going on.
I would rank Vennells in the same league as Saville hiding in plain sight using the church to mask her true identity . I can't work out if she is calculating or stupid or just both. This need a criminal investigation.
Hats off to ITV for an outstanding piece of TV drama

53442077880_2f6413cbd6_c.jpg

Brilliant programme , we have been following this for some years . many years ago my Dad trained sub postmasters , he would have been turning in his grave now . i believe Paula lost her license to preach over this matter which is good because its not becoming

Nadim was brilliant i thought in his questioning

advertisement

Back