advertisement

MQA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things tend to move in circles do they not?

MQA.jpg

I need a demo, not some files. For that purpose I'd need an MQA enabled DAC. Demos I've heard so far at shows have declined to make a direct comparison.
I am sending a spare MQA DAC to the continent Perhaps it can make some rounds once the recepient had some fun with it.

But there are a lot of inexpensive MQA options now. IFI makes several ones, including HIP DAC that I recently bought.

Why do ignore my last sentence? Or are 2L files good at making the little blue light tell lies?
Don't be weird, please. 2L has made very nice recordings available in LPCM and MQA formats so you can do a comparison in the privacy of your own dwelling.

You will need MQA DAC to do the comparison. Maybe a nearby audio shop will let you borrow something, if you ask nicely.

Or you can buy this IFI Zen DAC for $159 - I think this is the cheapest with full size outs.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B091B2JCXQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_0E3Z6AZKC1BS2909CERM

In a small form factor, MQA adds about $35 to the device's price. Not nothing, but not a King's ransom, either.

Last edited:
Here it is

Thanks. Now had a chance to watch it.

Yes, "Sponsored Fireside Chat" does seem to sum up the content. And, sadly, it seems to be as suspected. No real surprises. Lots of waffly OSAF. no real tech content at all.

Apart from the lack of real content the thing that struck me was the way he kept looking all around the room as he answered her 'questions'. Gave me the impression he found the process embarassing or wished he were somewhere else. One of the things I learned very early on when lecturing/presenting was to look at the audience, and at individuals in it as you explain things. Helps to make contact and lets you check that they are following what you say. And if not, you can try to clarify or ask them about it. I always had the feeling that avoiding looking at them made them feel you weren't confident about what you said.

That said, I guess I've spent more time presenting 'technical' info to an audience than him. And from that 'chat' maybe I've also spent more time doing viva's to assess what someone is reporting!

Who sponsored this? The video didn't say, just referred to elsewhere.

Edit: Oh, there was *one* comment that I perhaps misunderstood which surprised me. Nothing to do with MQA, but it seemed to claim that MLP was the first lossless compression system. Is that true? I'd assumed that FLAC was earlier, but I don't know either way.

That was weird ... I didn't get it when I was using Safari on my Mac :eek:
It’s more than understandable that you’d miss it anyway - this thread goes on forever, it seems! Strange that Safari didn’t pick it up - it does on my iPad but that’s a different setup anyway, obviously.

Mick

Oh, there was *one* comment that I perhaps misunderstood which surprised me. Nothing to do with MQA, but it seemed to claim that MLP was the first lossless compression system. Is that true? I'd assumed that FLAC was earlier, but I don't know either way.
No, that is not true. MLP is from 1999. It is predated by Shorten (1993), WavPack (1998), and likely others. FLAC was first released in 2001, so a little later. General-purpose lossless data compression dates back to 1950 or so.

Thanks. Now had a chance to watch it.

Yes, "Sponsored Fireside Chat" does seem to sum up the content. And, sadly, it seems to be as suspected. No real surprises. Lots of waffly OSAF. no real tech content at all.

Apart from the lack of real content the thing that struck me was the way he kept looking all around the room as he answered her 'questions'. Gave me the impression he found the process embarassing or wished he were somewhere else. One of the things I learned very early on when lecturing/presenting was to look at the audience, and at individuals in it as you explain things. Helps to make contact and lets you check that they are following what you say. And if not, you can try to clarify or ask them about it. I always had the feeling that avoiding looking at them made them feel you weren't confident about what you said.

That said, I guess I've spent more time presenting 'technical' info to an audience than him. And from that 'chat' maybe I've also spent more time doing viva's to assess what someone is reporting!

Who sponsored this? The video didn't say, just referred to elsewhere.

Edit: Oh, there was *one* comment that I perhaps misunderstood which surprised me. Nothing to do with MQA, but it seemed to claim that MLP was the first lossless compression system. Is that true? I'd assumed that FLAC was earlier, but I don't know either way.
It's equally possible that he is one of many people who are uncomfortable with public speaking.

That would argue against using an innuendo to suggest he is probably embarrassed by his own nefarious deeds...

Not a gentlemanly thing to do, I would suggest.

Well, gentlemanly or not, Bob talked a lot without saying much. So not another big step for mankind there.

Did Bob convince anybody that lossy MQA is the answer to our prayers for a codec to end all codecs?

Did anyone here come to feel more confortable about MQA and the intentions behind the lossy codec?

Don't be weird, please. 2L has made very nice recordings available in LPCM and MQA formats so you can do a comparison in the privacy of your own dwelling.

You will need MQA DAC to do the comparison. Maybe a nearby audio shop will let you borrow something, if you ask nicely.

Or you can buy this IFI Zen DAC for $159 - I think this is the cheapest with full size outs.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B091B2JCXQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_0E3Z6AZKC1BS2909CERM

In a small form factor, MQA adds about $35 to the device's price. Not nothing, but not a King's ransom, either.

I wasn't being weird, I was being sarcastic. And you're still ignoring my last sentence which was "It really seems odd to me that there is clear evidence in the video that the "magic blue light" tells lies but here you are, still defending the indefensible."

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back