advertisement

MQA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sending a spare MQA DAC to the continent Perhaps it can make some rounds once the recepient had some fun with it.

But there are a lot of inexpensive MQA options now. IFI makes several ones, including HIP DAC that I recently bought.

Why are show demos not prepared to do this though? Why do I have to buy my own hardware if the result is going to be blindingly obviously in favour of MQA? Why are they hiding this at shows, seems to me to be the perfect platform to demo the claimed benefits?

It's equally possible that he is one of many people who are uncomfortable with public speaking.

That would argue against using an innuendo to suggest he is probably embarrassed by his own nefarious deeds...

Not a gentlemanly thing to do, I would suggest.

WRT your 1st comment; I've seen him speaking in the past, and he didn't seem then to behave in the same way. That's perhaps why I noticed it. Others are free to form their own impressions. Given how easy/friendly the interview was it just seemed curious to me.

WRT your 3rd comment: Maybe you should consider your 2nd again, bearing that in mind.

Why are show demos not prepared to do this though? Why do I have to buy my own hardware if the result is going to be blindingly obviously in favour of MQA? Why are they hiding this at shows, seems to me to be the perfect platform to demo the claimed benefits?

TBH I've often found shows a difficult place to form a judgement. So I can understand some caution on that point. All too easy at a show to 'prefer' the louder more blingy presentations, rather than what you'd enjoy over a longer time at home.

Well, gentlemanly or not, Bob talked a lot without saying much. So not another big step for mankind there.

Did Bob convince anybody that lossy MQA is the answer to our prayers for a codec to end all codecs?

Did anyone here come to feel more confortable about MQA and the intentions behind the lossy codec?
I don't spend my time listening to such content. I just listen to music.

I wasn't being weird, I was being sarcastic. And you're still ignoring my last sentence which was "It really seems odd to me that there is clear evidence in the video that the "magic blue light" tells lies but here you are, still defending the indefensible."
I got you - you are back to being weird. I mistakenly thought you were ACTUALLY interested in an audition, instead of boring forum bickering.

WRT your 1st comment; I've seen him speaking in the past, and he didn't seem then to behave in the same way. That's perhaps why I noticed it. Others are free to form their own impressions. Given how easy/friendly the interview was it just seemed curious to me.

WRT your 3rd comment: Maybe you should consider your 2nd again, bearing that in mind.
So what is your opinion about why BS is behaving so markedly different from your past observations?

And why mention it on an Anti-MQA thread?

My third comment stands as is.

You are new to this thread.

My concensus, developed over years of comparative listening (Qobuz/MQA and now Amazon HD) is that MQA is sometimes better and sometimes not.

I describe the difference between MQA and LPCM as being "within a range of audiophile/system preferences."

MQA may be preferred by people with solid state systems looking for a little more "soul" in their sound. LPCM may be preferred for those listening to tubes, who already have some....extra ambiance.

Bickering, selfimportance, belittling and ungentlemanly behaviour in three consecutive posts. Dima in a nutshell.

Bickering, selfimportance, belittling and ungentlemanly behaviour in three consecutive posts. Dima in a nutshell.
Imagine there is no MQA,
It isn't hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
And no religion to.

Keep in mind, I haven't even talked to you yet, and the day is still young :)

This all started as a campaign on CA, spread by a cabal. It became a religion. Might it start a war?

Que sera sera, Doris knows... It's about the music.

"What’s more, MQA’s commitment to delivering the ultimate listening experience doesn’t stop at recorded music. Wherever audio exists, MQA ensures it’s the best it can possibly be; within physical formats, radio broadcasting, livestreams and video on demand."

that is from official mqa uk web page

should we roll over?

You are right that this is about lossy MQA and what it really is:
- lossy in that it cuts away and adds data in the "origami process" - as they really call it
- not consistently better sounding than lossless FLAC
- not smaller in file size than FLAC
- not easier load on streaming equipment
- not true "master quality" as it is indeed lossy
- an attempt at DRM from studio to end-user that threatens to corner music into a lossy format that is not an improvement over the lossless FLAC that we have now
- an extra cost (tax?) levied on the end user through the additioal cost of software and hardware encoding and decoding (that "origami" game they refer to as the MQA process)
- no benefit to the artists or end-users
- not open to testing and comparison with FLAC, so MQA is a closed and closeted format
- a refusal to discuss MQA in an open and informed way. Instead uses obfuscation, attack and disruption to any attempts at finding out what MQA really is and really does and really want

Any more questions?

"What’s more, MQA’s commitment to delivering the ultimate listening experience doesn’t stop at recorded music. Wherever audio exists, MQA ensures it’s the best it can possibly be; within physical formats, radio broadcasting, livestreams and video on demand."

that is from official mqa uk web page

should we roll over?
Kentucky Fried Chicken claims to be the best chicken in the world...do you believe them?

Are you in the market for a bridge, by any chance?

You are right that this is about lossy MQA and what it really is:
- lossy in that it cuts away and adds data in the "origami process" - as they really call it
- not consistently better sounding than lossless FLAC
- not smaller in file size than FLAC
- not easier load on streaming equipment
- not true "master quality" as it is indeed lossy
- an attempt at DRM from studio to end-user that threatens to corner music into a lossy format that is not an improvement over the lossless FLAC that we have now
- an extra cost (tax?) levied on the end user through the additioal cost of software and hardware encoding and decoding (that "origami" game they refer to as the MQA process)
- no benefit to the artists or end-users
- not open to testing and comparison with FLAC, so MQA is a closed and closeted format
- a refusal to discuss MQA in an open and informed way. Instead uses obfuscation, attack and disruption to any attempts at finding out what MQA really is and really does and really want

Any more questions?
Sure, I still have questions! Man, you are like a tape loop.

Have you ever participated in a discussion, where ground rules are first adopted? One of the main rules is "use I statements." So, for example, you should say "MQA is of no value to me," etc. Instead, you make proclamations attempting to speak not just for the audiophile community (already galling) but for musicians and everyone else.

Still afraid to try it?

Kentucky Fried Chicken claims to be the best chicken in the world...do you believe them?
I have no problem that they claim to be best. I would have problem if their claimed strategy would be to replace every other chicken with Kentucky one.

I have no problem that they claim to be best. I would have problem if their claimed strategy would be to replace every other chicken with Kentucky one.
Or any chicken eaten anywhere, whatever context, would have to have their secret version of seasoning.

Again, this is like the 20th time I have to point out that every business aspires to increase market share. Their ability to accomplish this is judged by their performance and business metrics, not by marketing literature.

Based on those objective metrics, MQA has fell far of the mark and has remained a marginal format with minimal overall market penetration.

We have more chances to be killed in a car accident that to fall victim to an MQA market takeover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back