advertisement

MQA

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.

The problem here very much *is* you.

I suggest you take a step away from this thread for a few days. Then go back and read your contributions anew, try and step outside of yourself and see how others might have viewed what you’ve written.
Great. Another "well-wisher" with unsolicited behavioral advice.

Why don't you try arguing with dozens snarky audiophiles at once without ever losing your cool and see how you do.

I think considering the twenty-to-one advantage anti-MQA enjoyes on this thread, I have been extremely nice. For example, I have been accused of being a paid troll several times. How do you think that feels like to a normal person?

I don't bother reporting it, because PFM management condones this behavior when it aligns with their views.

Last edited:
Ladies and gentlemen, what we have here is a rare case of meta-projection. Study it carefully.
Don't you have another anti-MQA thread to attend somewhere on the web? At least I limit myself to PFM...you are everywhere, like an anti-MQA jack in the box, popping out everywhere there is mention of MQA. I think this defines your very existence.

You totally need to listen to Currency of Man by Melody Gardot and chill. LPCM is fine.

You can thank me later.

I hope he was appreciative of the advice.

I’m not being facetious for once, one of my bugbears is poorly implemented sound at live venues, especially when you absolutely know it’s nothing to do with the venues acoustics.

The last reasonably sized gig I went to before the pandemic hit was to see one of my favourite songsmiths, Michael Head (He’s had various bands, The Pale Fountains, Shack, The Strands). He doesn’t tour very often, so it was a rare treat to be able to see him live. Especially as he’s a Liverpudlian, and the gig was in Liverpool.

The sound system was fine, because the support act sounded good, but when Mike came on he was utterly lost in the mix, drowned out by the lead guitar and drums which were way too far forward in the mix.

Unforgivable given that his music is driven by the lyrics and his gentle vocal performance (usually, he’s more than capable of belting it out if he wants to). Unfortunately I couldn’t get to the sound desk or I would have done the same as you.
Sincerely sorry for your experience.

My biggest live music regret is missing the big Boston concert of Cesaria Evora AND Cassandra Wilson TOGETHER. I thought I will have another chance...but Cesaria died soon thereafter and I never did.

On a positive note I did see one of Ella Fitzgerald's last concerts at Avery Fisher Hall in NYC. That was amazing!

I hope you get to hear Michael Head in good sound soon.

I know them both well. Gardot’s The Rain is a favourite of mine. Gorgeous voice and back story. I’ve listened to these ‘performances’ for years on various formats and their power is undiminished. Formats are always welcome and always promote debate but I feel we can sometimes get wrapped up in these debates and lose sight of the main event. I’m guilty of this myself but I consciously pulled back when I realised.I enjoy music so much more now. This is not to diminish others’ journeys or quests for ‘sound’ but I’ve realised that it became an unwanted distraction. I listen to the music first. Sometimes the sound will surprise me or enhance the performance. That’s my conscious order of things nowadays.
Nothing to do with MQA, but her last album is available in "deluxe edition" at least on Tidal. And surprisingly, it sounds even better than the "standard" version. I have to check if that is also in Qobuz.

Her Currency of Man release shows what a versatile singer she is - killing it in every way.

Another recent great addition to vocal jazz category is Gregory Porter, a superb singer in every traditional jazz style.

And for those who appreciate beautiful and complex vocal arrangements, check out Jacob Collier's Moon River (youtube is fine, though proper streaming or hard media is better). My dad was a vocal jazz guru (his big competition was Les Double Six de Paris) and he unfortunately did not live to see JC. He would have been thrilled - JC is picking up where great vocal jazz groups of 50s, 60s and 70s left of. Though we shouldn't forget Manhattan Transfer and Take 6 as worthy successors in the 90s and noughts.

Another great MQA release is Dianna Kral's Girl in the Other Room. In our last bad/no good MQA thread 3 years ago I described it as having "cracked the audiophile code.", though I didn't understand it then as well as I do now.

Last edited:
Man, you Brits go to sleep SO early. It's not even 3 am in London. Y'all should all be popping your third bottle of wine and spinning your sixths disc!

Last edited:
Nothing to do with MQA, but her last album is available in "deluxe edition" at least on Tidal. And surprisingly, it sounds even better than the "standard" version. I have to check if that is also in Qobuz.

Her Currency of Man release shows what a versatile singer she is - killing it in every way.

Another recent great addition to vocal jazz category is Gregory Porter, a superb singer in every traditional jazz style.

And for those who appreciate beautiful and complex vocal arrangements, check out Jacob Collier's Moon River (youtube is fine, though proper streaming or hard media is better). My dad was a vocal jazz guru (his big competition was Les Double Six de Paris) and he unfortunately did not live to see JC. He would have been thrilled - JC is picking up where great vocal jazz groups of 50s, 60s and 70s left of. Though we shouldn't forget Manhattan Transfer and Take 6 as worthy successors in the 90s and noughts.

Another great MQA release is Dianna Kral's Girl in the Other Room. In our last bad/no good MQA I described it as having "cracked the audiophile code.", though I didn't understand it then as well as I to now.
Yes, I love Porter’s and Krall’s voices. I’ll check out the others. Thanks.

Yes, I love Porter’s and Krall’s voices. I’ll check out the others. Thanks.
Currency of Man has a great "pay attention and listen" quality. I literally can't believe I missed it - must be getting old.

A great native British R&B singer is Joss Stone. She is fabulous in that genre, but I expect her to transition to Jazz. When I introduced my teenage daughter to her many years ago, she said - she can really sing!

Lizz Wright is another "real deal" singer in the pop/jazz idiom.

Currency of Man has a great "pay attention and listen" quality. I literally can't believe I missed it - must be getting old.

A great native British R&B singer is Joss Stone. She is fabulous in that genre, but I expect her to transition to Jazz.

Lizz Wright is another "real deal" singer in the pop/jazz idiom.
Known Joss Stone for along time. I’m big into voice but also go for artists like Nick Cave, Beth Gibbons and Youn Sun Nah. They’ve produced some stunning work over the past decade, especially recently. Cave’s reflections on the death of his son in the form of the Ghosteen album are sublime and heartbreaking. A genuine masterpiece IMO.

Known Joss Stone for along time. I’m big into voice but also go for artists like Nick Cave, Beth Gibbons and Youn Sun Nah. They’ve produced some stunning work over the past decade, especially recently. Cave’s reflections on the death of his son in the form of the Ghosteen album are sublime and heartbreaking. A genuine masterpiece IMO.

Are you familiar with Mark Lanegan?

if you're big into voice you might like him

I am a Cage fan! I will sure look into Ghosteen!

Very greatful for direction!

I like voices to have heart. I tried really hard with Cohen but there’s something cool about him that is a bit of a barrier for me. I’m more into Waits and Cash. Great sincerity and heart in their singing. Been listening to Amanda Palmer’s latest as well. Quite moving.

I like voices to have heart. I tried really hard with Cohen but there’s something cool about him that is a bit of a barrier for me. I’m more into Waits and Cash. Great sincerity and heart in their singing. Been listening to Amanda Palmer’s latest as well. Quite moving.

I'm hoping you like Mark Lanegan, it's always good to introduce people to artists, let me know how you get on

I have grown up with voice rehearsal every day!
Waits is just great! I will check out Amanda Palmer.

And we shouldn't forget the great Norah Jones....she is just getting better and better.

I suspect the person in question has taken Ayn Rand too seriously. MQA is defended as an example of free enterprise and any objections are "communism" and must be challenged. Or a letter combination other than MQA.

I suspect the person in question has taken Ayn Rand too seriously. MQA is defended as an example of free enterprise and any objections are "communism" and must be challenged. Or a letter combination other than MQA.
Relax your fists and Molotov cocktails, comrade. I thouroughly despise the old lady of the Republican Party. I am a Democrat.

And yet the legal framework we have worldwide allows for existence of corporations.

You may object to it (and PFM management does), but they will not go away because they are efficient at meeting customer demand, including yours.

Crazy, right? Perhaps we should go back to a time when only the Crown had the divine right to authorize corporations...East India Company is a perfect example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back