advertisement

Moving on up the PMC Twenty5 range or faster subs ?

I was not looking at that RRP but ex demo circa 6.25k.
Today in Chester I listened to Focal Kanta 2 floor standers and Kef reference 1's stand mounts.
Blimey those Focals were amazing big bold sound and have not heard such a holographic sound since my Martin Logan's . The difference between these was that it was room filling wherever I walked to. It didn't loose focus anywhere. Stereo imaging was fantastic . Had to get used to the setup tonally at first. It was on the end of 17k's worth of Naim kit. Really impressed .
The Kef's were just good but did not grip me emotionally.
So the Sopra 2's in the shop were beautiful and supposedly a huge step up again .

the 26i, are about 10k, there are many other brands out there, and speakers that do-not need a sub to sound good,

Strange comparison when the .26 (any variation) doesn't need a sub, being an effective transmission line. Your inference was that these need a sub, but I don't think you know them; they don't; really !

I was not looking at that RRP but ex demo circa 6.25k.
Today in Chester I listened to Focal Kanta 2 floor standers and Kef reference 1's stand mounts.
Blimey those Focals were amazing big bold sound and have not heard such a holographic sound since my Martin Logan's . The difference between these was that it was room filling wherever I walked to. It didn't loose focus anywhere. Stereo imaging was fantastic . Had to get used to the setup tonally at first. It was on the end of 17k's worth of Naim kit. Really impressed .
The Kef's were just good but did not grip me emotionally.
So the Sopra 2's in the shop were beautiful and supposedly a huge step up again .

I would agree with Graystoke4. At this level, try not to disregard other brands of loudspeakers. There are so many out there and some may just tick more boxes than the PMC. To me, the speaker is the most important component in the system. Get that right first and build your system from there ie. getting the amp and DAC to extract the best performance from the speakers. The Kanta 2 do have their fans.

Good luck.,

Sopra 2's

We stock Kanta 2's and Sopra 2's. Systems with Sopra 2's can still benefit with subwoofers. Pic. below shows one of our clients systems supported by dual JL Audio Fathom f110 v2's -

32607543_1506494619477494_2485030260278558720_n.jpg

PMC'S sold over weekend . I had almost settled to the fact about keeping them. Think I will go full range floorstander and leave the subs until funds allow

PMC'S sold over weekend . I had almost settled to the fact about keeping them. Think I will go full range floorstander and leave the subs until funds allow

I'm glad to hear that you were able to move on the twenty5 22's. Have you decided between sticking with PMC or trying Focal or otherwise?

Just waiting on the centre now to complete the front array. Next year subs. These do have ample bass for music , but I know what a decent sub can add. Problem is decent subs = decent money :)

Something I had been struggling with over the last few years with speaker changes (Martin Logan Summit x's, M&K S300, PMC 25.22) is getting a good stereo image. Length of my room vs width 7 x 3.8 (half then 4m wide) . My seating position was too far back in the room so to get that triangle ratio has meant I have been slowly creeping the sofa down the living room and trying to get the speakers as far apart without getting to close to side walls . With the Kantas it fills the room really well. Of course because they are bigger than my PMC's, but I'm sure these berylium tweeters play a big part in the presentation. I have been experimenting with the positions of the speakers and also have moved these further in room. I noticed prior to this the sweet spot was a short lean forward, so the latest speaker moved fixed that. Not that the image was poor with these Kantas , as I mentioned from the demo about the holographic sound stage , but now the stereo image is pin point. Oh and the speaker feet are a god send with getting the speaker stable . The spike height is easily adjusted by turning the knob on each corner. They come with spike discs so the floor doesnt get damaged. The PMC stands I was constantly fiddling with to stop them rocking. So far so good with these Kantas. And I've still got to run them in !

Getting closer to speakers (and good TVs) is invariably a good thing.

TVs I agree with but my eyesight is poor. With speakers I experience the opposite; the further away the better, but generally I'm used to large spkrs. That equilateral triangle configuration often trotted out is flawed, i.m.o. The isosceles with shorter base is much preferred but again, it depends upon the spkrs (narrow v wide baffle etc.)

I do like to get very close to spkrs on a daily basis but that refers to cans, and you don't get much closer than cans ! :)

Interesting. I find that getting close, within reason, improves imaging, soundstage, detail, dynamics, blah blah and puts less strain on the amps since volume increases as you get closer. One of my pairs of speakers is fairly large (10” drivers).

advertisement

Back