advertisement

Moving on up the PMC Twenty5 range or faster subs ?

Absolutely.23' x 12+' is a nice size for firing down the room, and PMCs (well, the floor-standers) need space and to be a fair way from the listener to create that superb soundstage and imaging. The actual footprint of the speakers is nearly the same, too. Subs? Forget it, esp. with those t.o.t.r. PMCs

Yes, my philosophy is to avoid subs wherever possible. It's a burden if it doesn't work in the system as desired.

. So I will try something different this time round with PMC 25.26's , if I can sell the 25.22's that is. Heard the 26i's as the Bristol HiFi show this year , and they sounded lovely and truly enjoyed all aspects of them. Listened to the smaller floor speakers also and to end the day the PMC Fact 12's. The Fact 12's were something else but at 17K ,would have to wait a long time to get that sort of money (ok 10 - 12K second hand maybe) , but even so :eek:

Fanthorpes has some secondhand Fact 8 Signatures for £6k if that's of interest? I would jump at them myself but I don't have the space at the moment.

Fanthorpes has some secondhand Fact 8 Signatures for £6k if that's of interest? I would jump at them myself but I don't have the space at the moment.

Or you could wait until I put my immaculate walnut .26s on the market this summer. I need to have one of my Quad ESLs repaired, which involves a journey I can't make yet but t.b.h. I'm only assuming that the PMCs I bought as a stop-gap will be leaving and whether I'm wedded to ESLs after a decade. There's also that the PMCs are much more wife-friendly, sonically and physically.

Last edited:
Subs? Forget it, esp. with those t.o.t.r. PMCs

I disagree. As good as they are however and with all things being equal even PMC's top of the range loudspeakers cannot keep up with or for that matter offer the same quality of LF reproduction that for eg. pic below IB2 SE's supported by dual JL Audio (makers of the world's best and the Formula 1 of subwoofers btw) Fathom f112 v2's can -

100536377_1547969408691442_2077043757689077760_n.jpg

f112v2-FLT.jpg

A subwoofer is the most important component.

Last edited:
I disagree. As good as they are however and with all things being equal even PMC's top of the range loudspeakers cannot keep up with or for that matter offer the same quality of LF reproduction that for eg. pic below IB2 SE's supported by dual JL Audio (makers of the world's best and the Formula 1 of subwoofers btw) Fathom f112 v2's can -

100536377_1547969408691442_2077043757689077760_n.jpg

f112v2-FLT.jpg

A subwoofer is the most important component.
I will get a sub at some point , but the sub will be of higher quality this time . Rel , JL Audio are in my line of sight. For now my aim is set on 26i's first. Cheers

Go for the Twenty5 26i and add sub later if you feel the need (I always would for AV but not necessarily music). Don't get the Fact 8.

Interesting. If @PhilCTTE doesn't mind the digression, could you comment on why you prefer the twenty5 26i over the Fact 8 Sig? I've only heard the 26i and Fact 12 Sig (@Bristol)

I am pretty dead set on getting some PMC floorstanders after we move.

Interesting. If @PhilCTTE doesn't mind the digression, could you comment on why you prefer the twenty5 26i over the Fact 8 Sig? I've only heard the 26i and Fact 12 Sig (@Bristol)

I am pretty dead set on getting some PMC floorstanders after we move.
What I should’ve said is get a demo of both as they’re quite different in design. When the Twenty 26 came out, many preferred them to the more expensive Fact 8. Not everyone of course.
The 12 is a different animal, with that glorious domed mid and the extra bass.

Never heard the fact 8 . At the Bristol show I heard the smaller floor standers then the twenty5.26i and finally that day the Fact 12's . As mentioned the 12's were fantastic that magical midrange dome driver. The 26i's were very good , the price of the fact 12's are out of reach £££

It seems that currently it's not the time to sell. So looks like subs for me . Will try later in the year and try and upgrade again when or if the market improves.

Something new coming from PMC at Munich tomorrow. Not sure if a full on replacement for the Twenty5i range or what. Seems to be for the audiophile market but the teaser pics show a very studio monitor like finish.

Try to live with the 26i On their own, and before you get subs, first get that Lyngdorf amp back. I have one and the BW-2 subs and the integration is seamless..

if you’re able to hear sub delays, you always probably will. Using the LD amp removes this worry completely.

Jeese those prices will cripple the second hand market. Of course need to hear them first if they are any good.

Jeese those prices will cripple the second hand market

'Orses for courses; PMC has never (i.m.e) been a cheap speaker manufacturer and sth must've been cut to produce that 2 grand trans. line speaker. When I look at my .26 with their immaculate finish, spkr units and natty magnetic grilles, I can almost see the value quotient at their original circa 6 grand price.

Hi, why are you only looking at PMC speakers, the 26i, are about 10k, there are many other brands out there, and speakers that do-not need a sub to sound good, why not look at the used market as well,

advertisement

Back